Oticon Alta Pro Question

My friend recently ordered an pair of the Oticon Alta Pro hearing aids in the ITC style. He was told that they were the “top of the line”, but he was surprised and disappointed than they did not have volume controls on the aids themselves. He read his manual and saw that these control were available, but the audiologist did not give him that option. I really don’t know anything about the Oticon lines and I found it confusing that they have very similar named aids like the Alta, Alta Pro, and Alta 2, etc. Can any definitively say which of these is in fact the top of the line and if the ITC version should have the option of volume controls?

They don’t come with a V/C option as standard on the wireless model. They come with R/L push buttons that can be set as volume controls. The current top model is the Alta 2 Pro, the previous top model was the Alta Pro. The Alta is the model below.

I have the Alta Pros with the streamer pro. I also have the ITC aids with no controls on the aids. The streamer pro is a remote control as well as a Bluetooth connection to my smartphone which has a Oticon app for controlling my programs and volume, I also have the TV connect for streaming the audio from my TV, and I also have a Phone Connect that is plugged into my home phone network so I can hear over the home phone. I love the setup and it helps me with being able to hear.
Also there is just a remote that can be carried in the pocket for changing programs and adjusting the volume, but it cost almost as much as the streamer.

A link to the history of me and my Altas

When we order custom devices whether ITC style or bigger or smaller, we specify what features we want it to have. Adding a bush button or a volume wheel are options. When adding a push button, it can be used as a volume control or as a program switch, or as both. Not adding them is a philosophical issue. Oticon’s philosophy as a company is generally that they are trying to make it “easier to understand people.” This translates into a more automatic, adaptive, and intuitive hearing device. There is really no need for a “volume control” as the hearing devices adjust their “volume” and directional characteristics automatically based on the environment they are in. Think about people with no hearing loss. Do they reach up and press something on their ear when they go into a loud situation? No. Do they reach up and tug or pull on their ear when they go into a quiet situation? No. Do they reach up and tickle their ear when they want to hear television or the telephone? Nope again. So why would you want to reach up and press a button on a hearing device for these reasons? Oticon does, however, recognize that some people WANT these legacy capabilities because either they are used to them, or maybe because some people just like to have more control in their lives… So they are an option. If you want that capability, Oticon gives us 60 days to have the devices remade… Just tell your Aud that you want push button volume controls added.