Oticon again screws its customers

Well, they’ve done it again, pretty much proving their hostility to their own customers.

Apparently, Oticon has told TVA Hearing products, which sells batteries, domes, tubes, etc. that NOBODY may sell Oticon accessories online and that they need to get them from their audiologist.

Basically, Oticon is telling their customers to pay more.

So we have a company that 1) ships products over a year late without explanation, 2) won’t honor warranty unless sent in via authorized dealers, and 3) now makes customers pay MORE for needed accessories.

I know I will never again buy Oticon products; I recommend the same to everyone.

I will bring this to the attention of my department that handles “supply chain management” by I can’t guarantee she will do something about it because she really seems to like her Opn1’s :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m currently using a Phonak dome that is essentially the same as the Oticons.

As far as domes.

I would recommend sending a letter to them telling them basically just what you said on this site. If enough people stop buying their products they may see the errors of their ways.

I have bought all of my Oticon accessories online: Streamer, TV and Phone adapter and will not pay the ridiculous prices they want for them through an audiologist. When my first Streamer battery died I was quoted $200 for a new battery from Oticon, I went to Ebay bought the same exact battery that was intended to be used in an IPod nano for less than $10 and did the repair myself.

I’ll piggy-back my own rant here. The cheapest I can buy their tv streamer for here is $280AUD. I can get a bluetooth transmitter off ebay for $15AUD. One streams to headphones, the other to hearing aids. I don’t think there’s anyhing more difficult about streaming to hearing aids. It should be a little cheaper in fact because you don’t have to pay people like CSR to license their codecs and you don’t have to make it work with other manufacturers’ products. Everything in the chain is yours.

Further, they sell a neck-streamer for about $300AUD but don’t include the AptX LL codec which could possibly allow that product to stream tv with reasonable latency. Neither do they include a simple 3.5mm headphone jack that would enable the Connect Clip to perform exactly the same as the tv streamer.

Why do that when you can get your customers- who have already paid quite handsomely for hearing aids- to buy two over-priced accessories instead of one? Their demand for profit is relentless.

They are also the most aggressive about preventing online sales (another way customers can save a lot). All of this is about protecting their brick & mortar stores with their anachronistic business model. In the short term, this might help them with their most important customers (i.e. not you or me); in the long run, they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Maybe it’s their reaction to the OTC act that was signed by Trump in October last year - a legislation to provide more accessibility and affordability for those that are hearing impaired - basically saying they want over-the-counter hearing aids available in the US. So they are covering their losses early

Perhaps the answer is to not buy any Oticon accessories from any audiologist/ HIS and see what happens to Oticons business model. Basically boils down to the old adage " You can screw some of the people, some of the time, but you can’t screw all of the people, all of the time!"

That sounds good. Or anything Oticon/William Demant. I hate corporate shenanigans.

It’s a suicide for Oticon

Just looking at the hearing aid Poll, they don’t seem to be doing everything wrong.

…until today. I live in Russia, and online sales are the only way to buy Oticon accessories

As you know, companies can coast on their reputation for quite a while; eventually, it catches up to them.

Possibly, but Oticon effectively wrote the modern paradigm for hearing aid sales when they doubled the price of their product in the 1990s.

Perhaps they realise that in order to grow your market, you need the funds to innovate and make the product desirable. If you don’t secure sufficient margin at each level of the process, you’ll likely end up with a poorer result, albeit at a cheaper price.

As for governing both ends of product supply, there’s a small company working out of Cupertino that doesn’t believe in sharing all of its toys either. Seems to work fairly well for them too.

I don’t think they screw anymore than others. They may be the strongest at trying to maintain the old business model but they aren’t alone in that. Most of the posturing is only that.

I don’t think the OPN problems would be unexpected. They decided to design their own chip and bit off more than they could chew. I don’t look at hearing aid companies generally as tech innovators and their struggles prove that. What most are is audio software designers trying to differentiate their products.

:slight_smile: Indeed. Another part of many reasons why I don’t give them my money.

I do not see Phonak in this thread. Do they fall into this category?

KenP’s opinion just above says a few things.

So if you to live in country Australia for instance and you need new domes for your Oticon aids, it may be several thousand miles to your nearest Oticon dealer. If you add in the air fare those are pretty expensive domes.

If your support period has ended or your audiologist has moved on, who’s going to sell you your accessories? Presumably, if the the new audiologist doesn’t know you, they should retest your hearing to check that the domes you want to buy are appropriate for you (are they going to bill you for that?). If they don’t they are acting as mere retailers, in which case you might as well as bought the domes online or anywhere else. In that case what Oticon is doing is anti-competitive. There are government regulators around the world who might have a thing or two to say about that.

Oh but unhindered, unregulated, unadulterated free enterprise donchaknow. < /sneer >