Ordering my first pair of HAs... Still have a few questions!

This forum has been a great resource for me (as a beginner particularly) Everybody that’s been offering advice & answers have helped me immensely. I’ve been encouraged to try Costco by various folks in this forum & I did. the Costco experience was very good. The audi. gave me the most thorough test Iv’e had (tried a couple of others first) then put a pair of Rexton trax 42 HAs in and I walked around for 10 min. They seemed fine and I’m planning on buying a set. I was told I would receive a free accessory, great! What is the best choice? She said the “smart connect” was a good choice as they were the most expensive, and worked well. She also recommended the "smart recharge over reg. batteries. Then there’s “smart remote” & “speech connect”. Would anyone with experience with these things please give me any advice, opinions etc. on the usefulness of these things & which would be the best 1st accessory to start with? Also batteries vs. rechargeable? I’m cautiously optimistic this choice is a good one, knowing I can return them. So, as always I appreciate your patience & feedback.
Thanks, mr.jones

Freq - 500 - 1k - 1.5 - 2k - 4k - 6k
– R – 05 - 15 – 40 - 55 - 50 - 30
– L – 10 - 20 – 50 - 65 - 50 - 35

I would personally go for the Smart Connect because it allows you to connect via Bluetooth to your cell phone, etc. Also regarding the batteries, that’s up to you. There is a recent thread here about rechargeable batteries. I think using regular batteries is cheap and easy enough so the recharger wouldn’t interest me, but again that’s my opinion only.

I am also new to hearing aids, and am using Siemens Signia Pure Primax. I am exactly 30 days into my trial period. My HA’s came with several accessories. The EasyTek bluetooth device, equivalent to your Smart Connect, is by far the most valuable to me. It allows me to use my HA’s to answer phone calls, stream music, etc. So far, it is workable enough that I will probably continue to use it regularly. My HA’s also came with rechargeable batteries, size 312, and the recharger/drier. I have been using the rechargeable batteries and have found that they do not last all day. I get usually 12-1/2 to 13-1/2 hours before they start beeping. If I put them in at 7:00 am, I’m done by 7:30 to 8:30 in the evening unless I give them a charge boost. I have been putting them back into the charger for 1 hour most days, and then I can wear them until 11:00 pm. I suppose your experience with trax HA’s will be somewhat similar. Hope it helps.

The current rechargable batteries has limited capacity and the capacity decreases over time, usually you have to get new rechargable batteries every 6-9 months, depends on how long you wanted to use it everyday. The new generation of rechargable uses LiIon and it last much longer, some manufacturer have announced hearing aids with the new rechargable, but they are not in the market yet. So I would stick with the regular batteries.

Smart connect would be my choice. It has volume control and BlueTooth capabilities. You have to wear the neck loop if you need to use Bluetooth accessories with it. If you are on the mobile phone all the time and you wanted hands free while you drive. This is a good choice. However, a lot of people don’t like to wear the neck loop. You have the option to remove the loop around the neck and just use the round body as a remote control. This is a much smaller remote control to put in your pocket than the smart remote. Not as durable though.

Remote control is usually required for the first few months because you are getting use to the sound of the hearing aid. After that, many people don’t carry them IF there hearing aid is adjusted properly. The button on the hearing aid itself can be programmed to change the volume. Ask the Audiologist how you can do that. Its very useful.

If you have bluetooth devices and you wanted to use them with the hearing aid, Rexton/Siemens may not be a good choice, their accessories design are not the best in the market. Also ask about the warranty of the accessories and if you go for the rechargable, do they replace the rechargable batteries free of charge during the warranty. Ask what would be your running cost of the hearing aid & accessories.
CL

CL, could you say more about the above statement. It may be helpful to both the OP and myself.

Thanks,
Michael

The design is a bit antiquated. It is a fair size device that must hang around the neck as the cord is the antenna.

Octcon, Starkey, Resound, and Costco’s KS6 are direct connect to an iPhone. The latter two can use a small device that can clip to a pocket that also has a microphone for true hands-free operation. That device will connect to up to 8 Bluetooth devices.

Thanks KenP for clarifying.

This link has a picture of the smartconnect on his chest, the round disc is the main body and the wire that goes around his neck is the antenna. The cell phone connects to the hearing aid via the smartconnect (the intermediate device) :

In this link, there is no intermediate device, the cell phone connects directly to the hearing aid. This is the newer design.

This is just one of the accessories from Rexton/Siemens. If you look at there other remote mic and TV solutions, they are clumsy, big and not user friendly.

CL

— Updated —

Thanks KenP for clarifying.

This link has a picture of the smartconnect on his chest, the round disc is the main body and the wire that goes around his neck is the antenna. The cell phone connects to the hearing aid via the smartconnect (the intermediate device) :

In this link, there is no intermediate device, the cell phone connects directly to the hearing aid. This is the newer design.

This is just one of the accessories from Rexton/Siemens. If you look at there other remote mic and TV solutions, they are clumsy, big and not user friendly.

CL

seriously?

Listen to Jakey. He painted his gold and won the Mr. T lookalike contest.

Kenji are you off the wagon again?

— Updated —

Kenji are you off the wagon again?

Nah Jakey, I just wanted to share how interesting you are.

P.S. Why are you always asking people if they fell off the wagon? Having a problem again?

Kenji i dont ‘ask people’ only you because once in awhile you make a good post then follow it up with incoherent babble.

— Updated —

Kenji i dont ‘ask people’ only you because once in awhile you make a good post then follow it up with incoherent babble.

For the remote mic solution, take a look at this from Siemens:

https://usa.bestsoundtechnology.com/siemens-hearing-products/hearing-aid-accessories/voicelink/handling/
Its like you have to wire up yourself for a TV broadcast interview.

Vs this from Phonak:

https://www.phonakpro.com/us/en/products/wireless-accessories/remotemic/overview-remotemic.html
You just clip the mic on shirt and that’s it.

CL

— Updated —

For the remote mic solution, take a look at this from Siemens:

https://usa.bestsoundtechnology.com/siemens-hearing-products/hearing-aid-accessories/voicelink/handling/
Its like you have to wire up yourself for a TV broadcast interview.

Vs this from Phonak:

https://www.phonakpro.com/us/en/products/wireless-accessories/remotemic/overview-remotemic.html
You just clip the mic on shirt and that’s it.

CL

The phonak mic is certainly much nicer, but in the video, the Phonak streamer is almost identical to the Siemens EasyTek except not round. And my understanding is that only iPhone can connect to the HA’s directly, not Android phones. Not everyone has iPhone. But certainly interesting info, thanks. There are trade-offs with every decision.

The Bluetooth accessories and apps for hearing aids are still evolving, there will be new apps for Andriod streaming down the road because its market driven, there is a big enough pool of Android devices. Its just a matter of time.

The Siemens Easytek and the Phonak ComPilot are intermediate device that receive the BT signal and re-transmit that to the HA via the neck loop. This was the standard until last year (I think) the hearing aid manufacturers came out with direct streaming.

I think, more important is how the music sound like after they came through the processing of the hearing aid and compare that to a headphone and a media play that has equalizer function. Speech is not an issue, but music.

CL

As long as you have an iwhatever… Still not hands free phone. Doesn’t the iwhatever actually become the intermediate device?