I didn’t go through TruHearing but I went through Hear.com originally which is a similar outfit I would guess. They referred me to a local audi but in the end I didn’t go with Hear.com but I stuck and dealt directly with the same local audi who in turn dealt with the insurance company for me.
That was because Hear.com could not agree on the pricing I was looking for, which was to match the pricing I would have gotten if I had gone through an in-network provider. They were not in-network so they’d only get 70% from the insurance company and they wanted me to pay the remaining 30%. I said no, I would have had to pay 5% copay if I went with an in-network so I’d only do business with them if I only pay 5% and they’d swallow the 25% difference that the insurance wouldn’t pay them. They said no so I dropped them.
But then the local audi stepped in and told me she’d do that deal for me, even though she was not in-network either. So basically she would eat the 25% difference, I paid 5% to her, and she was going to get 70% from the insurance company. But the insurance company negotiated down further and she only ended up getting about 60% from them instead of 70%. So she basically ate a 35% difference in price. But in the end she was still making money although not as much as she had hoped, but at least better than making no money and lose my business to in-network providers.
I would surmise that in-network providers already agree to give insurance companies a much bigger discount than out-of-network providers, and that’s the only reason why insurance companies would agree to pay 95% for the HA in the first place.
I would tend to agree that places like Hear.com and TruHearing are just online internet middle men that bring you to a local audi and take a cut from the transaction, and you end up being the one paying for that cut. It’s better to avoid or get rid of the middle men if you don’t really need them. Local audis agree to represent them because they bring that online business population to the local audis. But I’m sure the local audis would much rather deal directly with you as you’d much rather deal directly with them, after you know about the middle man cut.