OPN S1 minirite Warbling

My thoughts exactly, @AshFan. As I mentioned in a previous post, Oticon’s knowledge about this problem from customer and audiologists’ complaints, and the company not having a timeline for a fix, were what made me return my OPN-S1R’s. The Oticon devices weren’t cheap, and I felt like Oticon really wasn’t being upfront about their knowledge of the problem and what was being done to fix it. I hope they fix it soon, because, like you, Oticon gave me the best speech clarity. However, it doesn’t seem that the new OPN-S feedback system is much better than the first-generation OPN’s, so is it worth it to pay the premium-level prices?.

@AshFan, If you are determined to keep the OPN-S until Oticon comes up with a fix, there is one other suggestion that their tech support people gave my audiologist. That is, have your audiologist run the feedback analyzer while you have your hands cupped over your ears. I’m not sure what that does exactly, except maybe it makes the feedback shield more aggressive (or maybe it reduces gain, I don’t know because I’m not an audiologist)–but because it was suggested for me by Oticon, I thought I’d let you know, in case your audiologist hasn’t tried this supposed trick already. It didn’t do a whole lot for my feedback and cut-out issue, so I sent the HAs back to Oticon anyway.

While Oticon didn’t suggest this for me, my feedback is right at the edge on my right hearing so through experimentation by cupping my right ear partially in different ways, I found a certain position that put a damper on my right ear feedback just so to put it barely under control, but good enough to help barely eliminate it.

Remember that we’re talking about the traditional feedback shield manager on the original OPN here, NOT anything to do with the OpenSound Optimizer in the OPN S.

I’m assuming that AshFan uses both the OSO and the traditional feedback shield together?

I remember you posting elsewhere that you did the hand-cupping over ears maneuver at some point, @Volusiano. Did it reduce gain, or to what do you attribute the lessening of the feedback when you did it?

I have the warbling.
I wear Audibel.
Have been fighting this for a while.
Kep reading this site. Saw the post about the feedback manager. Asked the audi to turn it off on program one only.
I use closed domes.
Right ear would have feed back sometimes even when the manager was on.
Changed to a tighter fitting dome.
No noticable feed back with the manager off.
Warbling not really noticable.
Switch to program four warbling appears.
Have appointment Thursday. Wants to do REM.
Final. Have been wearing aids year and a half.

Yes, it creates a stronger artificial condition for feedback, forcing the hearing aid to reduce the gain margin even further than normal. This way, when I’m not having my hand cupped near the ear normally, this extra gain reduction is still there to keep feedback well away from the edge of teetering.

Of course this is done at the expense of losing more gain headroom, so it’s not a free solution. But I may not need this headroom all the times, so it was an acceptable compromise to me.

The trick is trying the hand cupping in many different positions such that you find a sweet spot where you can minimize the feedback without overdoing the gain headroom reduction.

1 Like

With my present domes if I cup my hand over my ears there is no feedback as long as the dome is seated correctly.
If it slides out some than I can get some feedback.

Will give it a try with the soft mould and see how things will go.
in case it will not succeed, I may try the Phonak Marvel. Did anyone try both oticon (OPNor OPN-S) and then switch to Marvel! What’s the difference related to sound quality and 360 sound awareness compared to OPN!

Yes, I suspect that is the case. I don’t know how the Oticon software works, but with Rexton if you run what they call the critical gain test for feedback, it gets saved and the correction gain prescribed is adjusted down in the area of feedback potential.

This of course can be done manually. Feedback normally occurs at about 3 kHz, so all that is needed is a reduction in gain in that area. However, the downside is that you are losing correction gain for your hearing.

1 Like

Not sure why but my right aid OPN S 1has grown markedly worse relative to this warbling issue over the last month with no change that I can ascertain to have caused it. It is beyond obnoxious when it happens during a conversation and it seems to be lasting for a longer duration. Oticon had to have known of this when they started selling these. It has been a nuisance since the day I got mine even after they were replaced to try and fix it.

There are alway bugs that get past the designers and developers. That I know for sure seeing I was one for many years, just not in the hearing aids industry. There was once a saying that for every bug found there were at least 100 that haven’t been found. So I would say in every device people feel is perfect for them there are hundreds of bugs that have never been found.

Had an appointment yesterday with my Audi to try the silicone mold . The mold was nice and soft to the ear but caused a lot of occlusion and I was “wow back to a barrel”. We decided this is not the right solution and our last trial was to go back with double domes 10mm. We managed to switch off “feedback shield” to stop the warbling and actually it worked well to stop the feedback but it is large enough to cause pain to my canal that even at night I felt my upper Side of my jaw really hurts.
During the visit, even my Audi told me if this will not be comfort, we should go with other aid and suggested the Audeo Marvel. She mentioned that marvel have the same 360 and maybe much suitable for me!
Have 2 weeks till my next visit then will decide what to do! Anyone come from OPN to Marvel can help with their experience (pros/cons)!

Not sure if you have mold or domes but I noticed new domes some how reduces the warbling . But after 2-3 days it’s back ( Maybe reason the domes becomes more elastic and there will be leak out of canal. Then we start our alien warbling )