Opn S 1 Now Delivered Initial Observations

3 year OPN1 user who wasn’t overly happy. Feedback was horrible even with custom domes, ability to hear my partner in a restaurant or bar was a big struggle and my aids were replaced 5 times in total due to failure.

The new OPNS1T were fitted yesterday. This is very preliminary given that my new custom molds won’t be delivered and fit until Monday and therefore we have done no REM and won’t until these are re-fit with the custom molds made by oticon, both with “medium” vents. Currently I am using double domes which are clear and medium sized.

I went with the T model due to the dual rocker switch which the OPN1 aids had (the non T in the S has a single switch). They are negligibly larger than my OPN1 aids and they are so close nobody would notice it.

4 programs installed (with modifications), VAC+, NLS2, DSL Adult and Comfort in noise. Speech rescue is turned on in my right ear in all 4 programs. So far, the NLS2 is by a wide margin the best program. Feedback is substantially better even without the customs domes and I really need to force it to get it to occur. I laid my head on my pillow last night with the aids in just to try it and nothing. Not a peep and we did not need to run the feeedback analyzer. With the OPN1 aids even with custom molds with the smallest vents possible the feedback simply sucked.
The OpenSoundBooster so far hasn’t shown me much difference in a restaurant noisy environment which I tried in several locations last evening. I was underwhelmed there but it’s unfair to jusdge yet until the custom molds are delivered, the aids set back UP, REM is conducted, final tweaking (which is never final) occurs, etc. I will say that while to me the background noise was just as bad, the voice clarity when I strained to hear was a bit brighter / better I will note however it makes a big difference in an office or home environment to keep the AC ventilation noise from being so loud. Works like a charm in those situations.

1 Like

It’s great to hear that the OpenSound Optimizer works as advertised for you.

I remember somebody (@richnfamus1?) who’s trying out the OPN S1 said to make sure that your programs are in Open Automatic for the Directionality setting in the OpenSound Navigator in order for the OpenSound Booster to work.

I don’t really know myself since I don’t have the S, but that’s my recollection of what @richnfamus1 said.

If you had the OpenSound Booster enabled properly and still don’t get great results in noisy places, there’s probably a good chance that switching to another hearing aid brand and model that has beam forming / sound blocking directional noise reduction wouldn’t help you out much either, because that’s what the OpenSound Booster is supposed to do.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up…I will check on that.

0 Likes

Yes, @Volusiano…I was told by Oticon that the OpenSound Booster only works in Open Automatic mode. In fact, if you won’t even see the “lightning bolt” indicator on your phone (which indicates that OpenSound Booster can be activated) if you are in Full Directional or Pinna Omni modes.

0 Likes

It does have the option and does activate in 3 of my 4 programs.

0 Likes

@jfenton, Your audiologist might have to create a Speech in Noise program for you that is set to Full Directional mode. As @Volusiano has stated in the past, that setting is contrary to Oticon’s “OPN” marketing focus, but it’s worth trying to see if you hear better in a noisy setting. Also make sure your noise reduction settings are at max for the Speech in Noise program. Technically, when you switch on the OpenSound Booster, it should narrow the beam to what’s in front of you, but maybe using a Full Directional setting might make a difference. Worth a try.

0 Likes

I’m not very familiar with the terms here, but these two caught my eye. Aren’t they different fitting strategies/algorithms? I didn’t know you could use different one in different programs, I thought you picked one and were stuck with that, just allowing the other tweaking per-program.

0 Likes

The OPN allows you to have different fitting rationales in different programs. It makes it easy to do A/B comparison right on the spot to see which one you like better.

Maybe some other hearing aid models don’t allow that, and some do.

The prevalent thinking is usually just to stick with the mfg’s proprietary fitting rationale because the mfg knows best on how to fit their own product using their own prescription. But sometimes personal preferences that don’t coincide with the factory preference still come into play.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic, I’ll have to look into that. I’d like to try two standard ones (don’t have the info in front of me versus the default manufacturer). In my case it’s Starkey at the moment and I don’t know if you can have multiple rationale’s (that was the word I was grasping for) at one time. But next up I may try an OPN-something or the Phonak Marvel. A few years ago I was thinking Resound was the brand to have, but things seem to have swung.

0 Likes

Quite surprised you didn’t opt to try another brand given you had a poor experience with the first set of OPNs you had - hope it works out well for you for round 2!

0 Likes

Without even conciencely noticing it, I just relazied that I am hearing/ understanding speach better with the S vs the OPN1 aids I also have. The number of times I ask what? Have gone down substantially.

What’s interesting is that this is with open domes, no final tuning / REM yet. Monday will be interesting as the new molds with larger vents arrive and full tuning and REM will be done.

3 Likes

I look forward to your report on Monday’s appointment!

1 Like

Actually MFAUD I did. I did a 3 week trial with Phonak M90’s which at times worked well and at other times just were horrible.

The kiss of death was two fold…constant cutting and echoing with both Android phones that I wear and really bad reverberation from noise reduction. It was so bad it drove me nuts.

Relative to ability to help me hear in noisy environs such as a restaurant…they were a minuscule amount better than my Oticon OPN 1 aids.

1 Like

Currently sort of treading water. We found that the only custom molds for the 100 and 105 receivers are the clear hard acrylic types which are molded permanently onto the receivers. I did try them and while they weren’t ocluded sounding at all, the right one slid out of place easily so they have gone back to Oticon to have a slip resistant coating added to them. Until those come back no REM is being done so I am sort of on hold to experience the fully fitted results of these aids

0 Likes

I have a pair of 105dB receivers for my OPN 1 with hard clear acrylic molds. Mine are not permanently enclosing the receivers. There’s a door which can be opened to take the receiver out. Look at yours to see if you have a door or not. It kinda looks like it’s 100% enclosed but it’s really not.

1 Like

Interesting. I will take a good look when they come back to the audi from oticon this week.

0 Likes

Some other observations as I have this longer…the right side has issues where it sounds like a blown speaker even when cranked down at times. We have tried a new receiver and it did nothing. This does not occur on my OPN 1 aids.

What I am finding really interesting is what I just noted about the blown speaker effect and also the fact that I am getting a resonating tremelo when certain things occur such as myself whistling. Again, this does not occur with my OPN 1 devices. Why this is interesting is because these two things are exactly what I was experiencing with the Phonak M90 devices. Makes one wonder who is using who’s theoretical proprietary technology.

1 Like

I would try to turn on the Speech Rescue feature on the right ear at least then turn off the high frequency band amplification to see if this helps with the blown speaker effect, if it still persists after you replaced it with a new receiver.

If Speech Rescue seems to help, I’d apply the same setting to the left ear so you get a more sense of balance.

As for the tremolo effect when whistling, I suspect that it’s due to the feedback manager applying frequency shifting to help manage the feedback. That’s why you have the deja vue like with the Phonak.

Although the OPN S has improved feedback management, your right hearing loss is just too severe for the OpenSound Optimizer to work alone without recruiting the traditional feedback manager to help out as well. I don’t know why the original OPN didn’t have the same effect, though.

I’d try to see if using the Speech Rescue helps eliminate the feedback manager strange tremolo effect because by trying to turn off the high frequency band amplification, at least there’s no attempt to amplify too much in the high end to trigger the feedback in the first place, hence the feedback manager doesn’t need to be activated, hence no funny effect.

1 Like

I’m trialing S1 and S2 concurrently. I’ve noticed that the Open Sound Booster on/off switch only appears when in the general program. That said, I’m not noticing any difference on or off. When I employ Speech in Noise the forward voice is louder compared to the noise but I then have to lower the volume. Not noticing much difference for noise reduction between S1and S2.

0 Likes

It’s going to be very tough to notice a difference in the noise reduction between the S1 and S2 unless you’re in a noisy enough situation where max noise reduction of -9dB is activated on the S1, and the S2 can only have -5dB NR activated, and you have both the S1 and S2 in hands to do A/B comparison on the spot.

But if you’re in a noisy situation, but not noisy enough to require a -9dB NR to be activated, but only noisy enough to require a -5dB NR to be activated, then both the S1 and S2 are going to sound the same to you, because in this case, the S1 does not need to operate at its full -9dB NR potential.

The bottom line is that the S1 and S2 will sound the same to you unless you’re in a most demanding noisy environment where the S2 can no longer keep up with it and become limited at -5dB NR, but the S1 can. Those situations can be less often than usual.

1 Like