OPN 3 review from OPN 1 owner’s perspective

oticon
opn

I do forecast a hearing decline for myself. I’ve had a notch in high frequencies my left ear for almost 20 years, for some reason, but then both ears started declining relatively rapidly over the last 2 or 3 years. Both of my parents hearing declined steadily in the years after they were my age – I assume there is heritability.

Another question is whether we are maybe about 2/5 of the way into a technology cycle, and the opns will be superseded in about 3 years or less. I’m guessing the lifespan of a HA generation is maybe about 5 years?

The Opn1 is a delta of about $3k, while the OPN2 is a $1200 delta. So I’m more seriously wondering about the 2, which would give me the Clear Dynamics and 115 db. But by some accounts less than the full improvement for sure…

OK, same advice still, meaning that if you can try out both the OPN 2 and the OPN 3 at the same time for A/B comparison, then that’s really the best way. Especially since now the difference between these 2 models won’t be as big as the difference between the 1 and the 3, it’d make an A/B comparison even more necessary so.

The one difference you need to consider here is that there are probably 2 different approaches to adding new functionality. It seems like in the old days, the only way to get new functionality was to upgrade/migrate to a newer physical model, even if they reuse the same hardware platform as before. Unless the new technology is SO radically new and different that a brand new hardware platform must be developed to support it, like in the case of the OPN and its open paradigm which requires a brand new Velox platform.

But nowadays, the new approach to get new functionalities added, at least on the OPN, and I’m sure on several other new hearing aids now, is to add new functionalities into new firmware updates. I’ve been a long time hearing aid user and the OPN is the first generation I’ve seen that offers firmware updates. All the other models I’ve had before that requires the purchase of a newer set of hearing aids if you want to keep up with technology.

But with the OPN, every firmware update is like getting a new and improved hearing aid model. The most significant functionality, Speech Rescue, was added to the Firmware 3, along with new built-in programs. Then in Firmware 4, support for the ConnectClip, and restoration of the in-situ audiometry into Genie 2. So what I’m trying to say is that with the new way of adding new functionalities into a model, you’re no longer afraid of missing out on new functionalities anymore unless you have to buy a newer model every few years.

This makes the concern about obsolescence much less of a worry, unless a truly new HA generation comes along that’s SO advanced that you’d need to buy into a new set of hearing aid hardware built on a brand new platform. What I’m trying to say is that the firmware update approach to adding newer functionalities into the same set of hearing aid model may stretch out the generation of each hearing aid model much longer than before. I don’t know what it is, but I would guess before maybe each HA generation is about 3-4 years, but now with firmware updates, it’ll probably get stretched out to 6-8 years easily. The question is how long the physical hearing aids will last in service… After all, after 3 years of warranty, are they serviceable anymore once broken???

Bluetooth 5 Low Energy And Its Role In Hearing Aids As Part Of The “Internet Of Things”

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. You don’t know how many here envy your results. You have something that works great. If you want her to try tuning it, put it on the 2nd program and you can then decide which works better for you.

The firmware updates are an exciting possibility, and certainly my OPN3, currently crippled by firmware, have a some room for improvement just to utilize the hardware they are running on. Within the Oticon framework, I suppose there is still going to be some division in how benefits are applied to the three tiers. I suppose though that they can improve the OPN3 so I’ll appreciate it more, while they improve the OPN1 even more so it is still their premium model.

I would only expect bug fixes and minor tweaks to keep the OPN models competitive until the next major release. Not much profit in giving us much beyond the original promise.

Exactly, Vince. Manufacturer reps can exaggerate the real changes that are available through firmware updates. Oticon had to do something about the Connect Clip thing because they were behind in getting it out and it wasn’t ready when the platform was introduced.

To the OP, beware the Koolaid. Like Ken said, if it ain’t broke, don’t adjust it.

Ordered the OPN2 today at my audi appt. She says she has no experience of anyone moving from the OPN3 to the OPN2, because people are happy with the OPN3. But I found out I have partial insurance coverage, making it a more affordable jump.

Today I got a music program, which I didn’t have before. This is a dramatic difference. I might not have gone for the OPN2 if I had this program, but it’s still the OPN3 on the auto program, a bit processed sounding compared to the music program. I’m a bit afraid the OPN2 is going to have even more processing in speech, and I’ll like it less, but we’ll see.

She tweaked the auto program a little bit, and it’s a little better now. She’s good, my audi.

All in all I’m a happy camper now, hoping it will be even a bit better in a couple of weeks.

Could you tell me a little bit about self-programming your OPN 3’s? This seems like something I could totally get into (once I buy replacement HA’s); as it is I read white papers like they’re going out of style and tell anyone who will listen about how hearing technology works. :smiley: What tools did you acquire in order to program them yourself, and (if you are in the US anyways) were they relatively easy to acquire?

Thanks!

You should check out the DIY section on this forum. All the necessary info are there and @pvc did a great job organizing the info for us.

Oh, excellent! I hadn’t even seen that category. Thank you!