OPN 1 or Evoke 440?

Just wondering if anyone has trialed both in rite form and done a direct comparison between the two? If so which did you prefer and why?

I’ve been wearing Alta 2 Pro mini Rites for the last three years, insurance covers new after that amount of time and so there is no reason not to take advantage of the latest tech.

OK so no comparisons. Is anyone wearing the Evoke 440? How do you like them?

Most OPN users on this forum seem to be wearing the RIC type. The CIC OPN has only been introduced fairly recently so I doubt if any of our forum members have tried them out yet.

Because CIC OPNs are too small to be MFI or Connect Clip enabled, this trade-off may be too much for people to accept to gain the CIC form on the OPN.

My current miniRITES are receiver in the canal type. I have no interest in anything else. But I would like to hear about experiences with the Evoke 440 if there are any. I’m interested in the Fusion 2.

The Alta 2’s are only one generation previous to the OPN so I am assuming nothing earth shattering there in terms of sound.

I can’t offer a comparison, but I will share my experience upgrading to OPN1.
I previously worn Alta2 Pros prior to upgrading to OPN1. Staying within the Oticon environment is less earth shatteringly different, sound-wise, with each new generation of technology because your brain is already familiar with how it perceives Oticon’s sounds. The connectivity - Bluetooth with iPhone and TV Adapter - without a Streamer – life changer! Sound from the TV Adapter is definitely an earth shattering sound improvement.:slightly_smiling_face:
The ability to make HA adjustments via your iPhone is wonderful! Streaming calls directly (iPhone) to both ears greatly improves communication.
I also got the zPower rechargeable system. After some bumps in the road, I am enjoying the convenience.

Thanks for reply. I have had zero issues with the Alta 2 but I’m interested in taking something else for a spin before I just move to the OPN. How are they with music? If there is one complaint I have with the Oticon it’s music and Widex have a reputation for being excellent for music. The new Resound Quatro is supposed to be good but my audiologist doesn’t carry resound and she is so good I’m not willing to give that up.

Usually for live music listening, you want a very wide dynamic range input to capture all the attacks and dynamics of the live musical instruments. In this regard, the Widex has 114dB SPL, and the OPN has the same 114dB SPL input dynamic range. I’ve been to live concerts and have listened to live music instruments like guitar, piano, drums, etc, and the OPN can handle it very well. I never wear Widex so I can’t give you a comparison between them on the music department, however. But at least their specs on input dynamic range is on par with each other. The OPN also has been known for sounding very natural. At least that’s the comment I’ve read from many forum members here who wear them, including my own experience as well.

Volusiano,

Thanks but I stay up to date on technology, make it a point to know the specs and concerning music and hearing aids I spend a good deal of time reading Marshall Chasin. Google him if you’re interested.

As far as natural goes I have no idea what that means anymore other than it’s how things sounded when I was not aid dependent and that was many years ago. So I’m not looking for natural, whatever that is, but what is most pleasing. When I first started with aids I was extremely disappointed in how they handled music. Music is “thin” for lack of a better term and lacking in warmth. Not exactly empty but it lacks fullness. I had some great discussions here several years ago with Um_Bongo and Musician_72 which were very helpful but still it ain’t quite there. I know the technology but that doesn’t tell me how it’s going to sound when it’s plugged into my head. That’s why I ask about personal experiences.

I believe that beside the spec, I also gave you my personal experience at the end that I find my OPN sounding great for music (any kind, live or recorded).

When I said the OPN sounds natural, I meant that it sounds full and warm and not muted. Not muted here means that with other HAs that I’ve worn, the reverb and echo presence in the room (any room, but especially tall or large room) seem lacking, although you may not realize it if that’s all you wear. But as soon as I swap the HAs out for the OPNs, I immediately notice the roominess sound of room. (Yes, I have had opportunities to do A to B comparison between the OPN and two other pair of hearing aids in parallel).

Thanks. That was helpful. Have you worn the Alta 2?

No, the OPN is the first Oticon HA I wear.

Ah. OK. I’m interested in the Widex as it’s known for its emphasis on Music. Another that looks promising though is the new Quattro. Widex had a max input level of 113 dB when everyone else was in the 90s. Others (including the OPN I think) have matched that. But the Quattro has upped the the max input level to 116 dB. That will render it more immune to distortion on the front end but don’t know how it will effect overall sound quality.

Yes, for sure the Quattro upped the game on this wide input dynamic range. I noticed that when they announced it, too.

Hi Mark, Nice to have you back - Just wondering why you are interested in ITC style this time around?

Familiar faces are popping up. Nice to see you as well. I’m not. It’ll be another rite type. 440 Fusion 2 if the Widex. I edited the opening post as I see now that it was missing the R.

The Quattro is very very good.

You are wearing it then?

I am a fan of the Widex Evoke 440s. I like the quality of the sound a lot and think they do a great job in noisy environments. More than anything, I do like the ability to “dial in” the sound to my preferences, if needed, using the SoundSense Learn feature in their app. It has given me far more control over the sound than I’ve ever had before in 18 years of wearing hearing aids. Before, I always had to rely on my audiologist to help “tweak” the sound based on trying to give him descriptions of what I was hearing/what I wanted. Now, I can listen to a version of the sound, “A,” and compare it to another version of the sound, “B,” and quickly decide which I like better. I can then listen to another set of comparisons, choose the best and move on as much as I’d like until I get something just right for me in the moment.

It’s not for everyone - especially those who just want their HAs to “work”, but I really appreciate it. No one else offers this.

Chris

Thanks cnicklo. Helpful info!

I have an appointment this coming Tuesday where I’ll get my audio updated, have the Alta 2 adjusted and order a pair of the 440 Fusion2. And because you can also use zinc air batteries I think I’ll get the Z power option. They look great on paper so I’m going to give them a try.