OPN 1 minirite heavy static noise in left side

I have heavy static noise in my left OPN 1 mini, like a loose connection perhaps.
Hearing aid store said it was due to moisture and sold me an electric dehumidifier. Didn’t make a difference.
The dehumidifier runs for 30 minutes but I’ve kept turning it on all day so it probably had about 6 hours of dehumidifier on that day compared to normal day of 2 times for one hour total. Still no difference.
Unfortunately it’s 8 months out of warranty now and it’s hard to trust Oticon to do a repair if they will as I’ve had these aids back to them so many times and always have the same problem or different ones most of the almost 4 yrs I’ve had them.
The serial number changes sometimes when they come back from Oticon so I’m assuming they replaced the interior works but whether or not with new parts or reconditioned I don’t know.
Any advice on what to do?
Is there an online site that reviews current new hearing aids to see if there is something new and better than I can get?

Next time opt for BTE hearing aids and be free from this receiver failure hassle as BTE Hearing aids are more robust and moreover as the receiver is inside the body so it is safe from moisture.

Does it do it when you are streaming music or taking calls, if so would be just a receiver, if it doesn’t do it when streaming then most likely course is the microphone.

1 Like

This is a behind the ear aid.

I don’t stream music or take calls, not having a smart phone.
I have switched the speaker tubes and the static goes with the aid not the tube so receiver it must be.
Best remedy?

I’ve had an issue with my left OPN 1 developing a static noise after a few years of use. It was near my 3 year warranty period so I sent both in for warranty service and they replaced both with new OPN 1 with new serial numbers, implying that they didn’t bother fixing the old broken one, they just gave me a brand new pair instead.

If you already eliminated that the culprit is not the receiver but it’s the aid itself, then there’s not much you can do to fix the issue without a warranty replacement. The only recourse I can think of is to find a third party repair shop to see if they’re willing to repair it for you or not.

I’ve had my OPN 1 for 3.5 years now and I’ve had to have them replaced twice while still under warranty. One time for a bad microphone (8 chimes 4 consecutive times or something like that as a warning), and one time for the static noise like in your case. Each time I asked that both aids get replaced even though only one aid has the issue, because I figure if one has an issue, the other is not too far along to develop an issue.

Anyway, my approach to repairing my OPN 1 now that my 3 year warranty has expired is to try to find and buy used ones from eBay if I can, because I’ve already learned to do self programming myself. If I can’t find used hearing aids for a good deal on eBay, I may just get the KS9 from Costco because they’re good value.

1 Like

I’ve lost track of how many times they have replaced mine as opposed to doing repairs. For a couple of years it felt like Oticon had the aids more than I did.
The problem one now was replaced less than two years ago.
Anyway, with the history I’ve had with the OPNs and you also having multiple problems, I certainly won’t go back to Oticon for when I get new aids.
I won’t be learning to do self programming as I have mild cognitive impairment making it difficult to learn anything not already having a decent base in my memory.
I just hope that there is a new breakthrough in hearing aids that will be an improvement over the OPNs as they WERE a BIG improvement over my Alera aids I had before, just not reliable problem wise. I used the Alera for about 7 yrs and never had to send them back whereas the OPNs probably with one or both sent back at least a dozen times. (one time was actually my fault)
Thank you for your reply

It’s an RIC. BTEs have tubes and earmolds, integrated receivers to the body of the aid. RICs have wires and domes or earmolds, receiver at the end of the wire and goes in the ear. But you’re right, the body does sit behind the ear.

1 Like

On YouTube, search for Dr. Cliff AudD. He reviews hearing aids.

1 Like