Opening doors at night

Hoping to add interest, not hijack - regarding resealing the batteries upon removal from the HAs - about 5 years ago, I did my own little unscientific analysis by hours of usage, and resealing extended the time by days, not hours. I also got in the habit of changing the batteries every Monday morning, replacing the tab and sticking them back in a Duracell plastic holder. I would use these ‘old batteries’ to stream TV at night wearing the Epochs. I liked the TV sound better than in my newer aids. I am convinced blocking the air extends the life of the battery and stops the drain. Resealed and back in the plastic case, and they still work and they are old. An unsealed battery would not still have juice.
My reason for continuing to reseal is to hopefully keep myself on a battery replacement schedule to avoid a dead HA / battery when it is not convenient. I’m lucky to get 4 days with the OPN1’s, so a few extra hours of battery life helps.

I don’t reseal my batteries at night and I also consistently get 4 days with my OPN 1 as well, and I stream a lot.

1 Like

Not at all, good input :+1:

This article doesn’t really say exposing the battery to more oxidation prolongs its life. It only says keeping the battery out with open door prolongs life because it prevents drainage if the door is closed.

While I don’t think exposing the battery to more oxidation prolongs its life, I don’t think it shortens is life either. I think the oxidative activates a chemical reaction, and once activated, the Zinc is already oxidated and once oxidated, resealing the hole won’t undo the oxidation process that had already happened.

It’s like getting a sponge wet. If you seal up a wet sponge by putting it inside a sealed bottle, it doesn’t help make the sponge any dryer because the sponge is already holding water inside. In the case of the battery, the Zinc compound is already activated with oxygen and starving it of air while unused, AFTER oxidation already happened, won’t revert or slow down oxidation.

I guess the question here is whether the Zinc compound only needs to be activated initially to work, or whether it continually needs the oxidation to happen to work. My thinking is with the former camp.

I also think that one oxidated, beside the high drainage from the battery, there’s also a slow drainage from a self discharging process. That’s why if left unused after exposed to air, the battery will eventually die even if left unused.

Costco and others have a great dryer. I thought my KS4s were dying and I saw the Costco person put them in this little white box (dryer) and they were ok. Since I bought my KS8s (I bought the little $40 dryer) I have put them in it every night. It was definitely a good investment.

This?
20180719_072240%20-%20Copy

No. It’s a white box about 2 inches square with a lid and a blue on/off indicator button in front. It says “Perfectly Dry Lux” on top. Works well. I only open my KS8s to the first (power off) position before I put them in.

I use a Perfect Dry Lux (slightly newer model than shown in this video) and am very happy with it. Admittedly, I haven’t done any culture studies to determine bacterial growth (hahaha) but they are nice and dry in the morning. Also, it is virtually silent. I have gotten used to the blue light being on when I go to sleep - it is only on for about 15 minutes.

I always open the battery doors completely. My batteries do not fall out so no worries there. I suppose if they did, I would just turn them “right side up” so they stay in. Resealing batteries is just a little more effort than I have time (or patience) for… Good Luck!

Do you have to take them out at the end of the drying cycle or can you leave them in the dryer all night?

I got the Perfect Dry Lux with my first HAs a few days ago, and the instructions state it runs for 30 minutes then stops actively drying and disinfection with UV light. I asked the fitter that exact question when I got it. He stated that leaving them inside as long as I want is fine. They are in a dry and disinfected environment after it shuts off. I take the HAs out at bedtime, but them in the Dry Lux, start it and go to bed. I leave them in the Dry Lux until time to put them in my ears.

1 Like

I also use the perfectly dry lux, but sometimes I have to fiddle with it for ten minutes to get it to start it’s cycle. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem. I’m trying to decide if I doing something wrong or if it has a problem. My unit has only one blue light in the front that doubles as a cycle start button.

The light on mine is off most of the time. When I open the lid, it comes on, then after a few minutes (have not kept track) it turns off. When I push the button to dry and disinfect the aids, it cycles bright blue to dimmer blue every few seconds, I have not watched it after that since I just go to bed.

If it is defective, Costco has a great warranty as we know. You might unplug and plug the cord back into the wall wart and Dry Lux to make sure the connect is good. That said, mine is four day old and used three times, tonight will be number four.

Yeah, I’ve tried all that (plugging and unplugging). I just have to do it several times. I think I’ll ask for a replacement. I just wondered if others are having the same problem.

Can
the dryer be used with rechargeable HAs?

No problem with mine. I close the lid the blue light comes on. The light stays on for only a few minutes but the cycle continues.

There is a button?

The light is the button, or the button is the light. :thinking:

1 Like

What is it for?..

It starts the dry and disinfect cycle and the light cycles between bright and dim for 30 minutes until process is done.

You say the cycle continues - does the light go bright and dim during the cycle? Mine only does this if I (successfully) press the blue light/button.