Online tests and hearing loss

This week my grade is taking an online test called the forward exam. There are many sections, including a LISTENING section! I do not have an IEP, but still struggle to hear video and audio recordings especially of men’s voices (I have reverse-slope hearing loss). The audio clippings in the test are not captioned unless you have an IEP that allows you to take the captioned version.

Any tips on how to take a test like this?

Your school has a responsibility to ensure you receive assistance. Not sure what that would be but they should be sorting it out for you. Maybe something as simple as extra time to complete the test so that the thing you need to listen to can be repeated or extra volume on the device used to access the test.

ADA law is very specific about this in schools. They must do it to get federal funding. There is a member here who works for the gov enforcing that. Anybody recall his name so and @— can be sent to him. He can probably provide the necessary info.

I hope you make your struggles known to your parents. Your school is required by federal law to accommodate you under ADA laws.

Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (Title II)

1. Under Title II, what must public school districts do to provide effective communication to
    students with hearing, vision, or speech disabilities?
    Answer. Title II and its implementing regulations require public school districts to ensure that communication with students with hearing, vision, or speech disabilities is as effective as communication with students without disabilities. To do this, public schools must provide appropriate “auxiliary aids and services” where necessary to provide effective communication; that is, schools must provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services so that students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to participate in, and enjoy the benefits of, the services, programs, and activities of the public school district. Title II requires covered entities, including public schools, to give “primary consideration” to the auxiliary aid or service requested by the student with the disability when determining what is appropriate for that student.