On market for new hearing aids, looking for advice

I’m using Bernofon from Costco for last 6 yrs. I’m 74 yrs old and although Costoc adjusted them several times over last few years, I still miss a lot, including TV.

This last year I’m driving a school bus. Obviously, the diesel engine is noisy but the little kids either have small voices I can’t hear. Or they are “screamers” which tend to hurt my ears.

My Medicare advantage insurance carrier is Priority Health. Till the end of 2019, I can utilize a $500 per ear benefit from Priority. Costco has been advertising the Kirkland Signature S-9 for $1500, which would mean $500 out of pocket for me.

In 2020 Priority is pushing me to Truhearing and will not give me an allowance to buy somewhere else, like Costco. I think this sucks so I’ve got to make a quick decision. On top of that, I can’t determine what their confusing costs would be without paying $75. for the test which Costco does for free.

I’ve gone through all the hearing tests when I originally bought them in 2013 and multiple times since. Like most men with hearing loss, I need help with some frequencies, volumes, etc and not others. (If everyone spoke, slow, with a deep voice and articulated well like me, it would put 90% of the hearing aid business out of business).

I’ve read about this “Nano” thing but i get the impression it’s not much more than an amplifier and might not be right for me. Does anyone have any advice?

1 Like

Trying the KS9 from Costco seems like a good idea. Assuming you’re in the US, you’ve got 6 months to sort it out and get a refund if you don’t like them. In that case, you’re back where you started from, but at least you know the KS9 didn’t cut it. (That’s pretty much worst case scenario) Best case is that you love them (and many do)

Do you have an option of paying for the hearing aids yourself at Costco, and then making a claim back to your Priority Health? If so, it may still be worth it to go to Costco.

I am not sure what you are referring to with the comment about “Nano”. Can you give more detail? I have never really heard that term used with hearing aids.

I’m in the market as well. Currently have a pair of Starkey halo i90’s. I’ve been wearing these for 4 years. They have been sent back to Starkey 3 times each year for “repairs”…they came with a 3 year warranty. I kind’a think that Starkey doesn’t do repairs…they just send you back another hearing aid of the same model. Anyways, I’m not satisfied with the 4 year old technology & I need to see if the newer hearing aids have improved the ability to hear better. The hearing aid biz is heading in the same direction as cell phones. They come out with a new, improved & stronger cell phone every year & now hearing aids are doing the same…improved/stronger than last years model. I’m going to check Costco out & see if their offerings are good enough for my hearing 80% loss. These companies that offer hearing aid benefits usually go through some type of middle company that may inflate the actual price of the aids. I have Aetna Medicare PPO & they use Hearing Care. Their benefit is $2500/pair.

If you are talking about NANO Advanced Hearing Technology, it appears to be a scam. Have a look at this Dr. Cliff Video where he reviews the product. If this is what you are looking at, I would suggest staying away from it, far far away! You would be much better using your old but real hearing aids.

Dr. Cliff - NANO Review

1 Like

Do you have a copy of your audiogram that you can post, by chance?

BBB listings:
accreditation in the BBB was revoked
250 Complaints
It is also one of the few search-terms I’ve seen where many complaints appear above the company site.

The do look like hearing aids. I can’t guess from here if they may be $10 of cheap boost in a $20 case.

Might well be worth while to make the purchase from Costco and go through the trial now. At least that will allow you to submit the claim for reimbursement from your insurance provider and at the end of the trial (6mo), if the KS9 aren’t for you, you can return them for a full refund and try something else with your $1500.