On hearing aid, can i hear English well in USA?

Sorry, My first question was incorrect.
This image show, on HA and not wearing HA of auditory.

On hearing aid, can i hear English well in USA?
How about you?

0 Likes

I am completely baffled by this question. Maybe I’m not alone.
Maybe you could use Google Translate and type in your question/comment in Korean and translate it to English and then paste it back in here.

2 Likes

I hope it’s a lost in translation issue but it seems the first sets of markings show to me what you are hearing with your hearing aids, the second shows what you hearing is at without hearing aids.

onto what I hope is right answer but yes you should be able to hear the American language with your hearing aids. But as English will be a secondary language lipreading which is where you focus on lips whilst a person talks to also aid your understanding of the spoken language will be more difficult. I’m British but moved to the states and sometimes sounds and tones of certain words after 5 years can still get me in a confused with a what did you just say? Example treacle British pronounce it tree- call My husband and step kids (American) pronounce it Trek-all. Took them repeating it 6 times before I understood what was said. ai hope this helps

1 Like

Possibly what is being shown is the conductive loss vs air loss. The X and O would be the air loss which is the important one. The other would be conductive loss to help ID the the type of loss you have. I don’t think it means what you’d get with aids.

0 Likes

I think this was related to going to college. I’m guessing even with hearing aids, you’d have difficulty listening to lectures. However, if you talked to the schools, they likely have ways to accomodate. Options might range from notetakers to a microphone that the instructor would wear that would transmit to hearing aid. Basically you’d need to contact each school’s disability department and ask what they have available

1 Like

I suspect between your hearing loss and your current English level it will be a battle for a while. As I said in the other thread - hearing aids are set for your language and yours may need to be set for English via re- programming.

0 Likes

Yes you are right.
In fact, I do not fully understand language in Korea, but I can understand at least 90%.
It is hopeful if English can hear it that much.
How about your hearing graph?

0 Likes

The first graph shows the hearing level when wearing a hearing aid.
So I asked if I could understand English well with this level of hearing.
Would you understand?

0 Likes

Is it possible to change the sound quality of a hearing aid differently depending on the language? or Optimization?

0 Likes

Yes, the audiologist sets the type of language in their original programming - either tonal or non-tonal.

0 Likes

I looked briefly at my programming software. NAL-NL2 definitely has an option for tonal languages. I’m not sure about other fitting prescriptive targets. I couldn’t find any options for tonal except in NAL-NL2. Anybody know for sure?

0 Likes

Would it help to know the brand? Is it possible they might not be programmable in the US?

0 Likes

Good point. It is such a basic thing and has been known about since at least 2008, I assumed this was set by all the big six. I know that when my various aids have been fitted there were sections which set type of language. They were one of the first things set and my audiologist explained about different languages requiring amplification in different frequencies. Tonal languages like many Asian languages use more lower frequencies. I know that Bernafon developed a whole list of languages for their fitting in about 2013 because that is on the net. Other manufacturers are not so detailed in their information about fitting at every step. Some languages also need different attack times eg.Japanese. There are articles about how to set aids for different languages manually but these date back to 2008.

Would be interesting to hear from the pros about this.

0 Likes

If the upper curves are that of bone conduction then you might want to consult an otorhinolaryngologist for diagnosis of any middle ear issues which could have surgical solutions.

0 Likes