Oh My - Has Phonak stopped using disposable batteries?

1. Cliff does not say in his video that phonak will not be making traditional battery hearing aids in the future. He says the lumity line will only be rechargeable, which is consistent with what I’ve heard from phonak. If phonak really never makes a hearing aid with a traditional battery again I would be wildly surprised.

2. I do not work on commission and I genuinely do not have a preference for rechargeable versus battery. I might even have a minor preference for non-rechargeable and they are typically what I go for when I am personally playing around with new devices. I present both options to my patients neutrally. The huge majority of my patients want rechargeable. New users also regularly give me a face like I’m a crazy person when I suggest non-rechargeables. People come in to upgrade perfectly functional hearing aids that I don’t recommend replacing because they want rechargeable.

The manufacturers are not being “sneaky” by focusing heavily on rechargeables, they are just responding to market pressures. It’s not a conspiracy.

7 Likes

Sorry Um_bongo - but first time HA users most likely purchase what ever aid a hearing aid dealer puts in front of them. Sure there’s a hearing aid trial period but most first time buyers are most likely not going to question the benefits (pro or con) of rechargeable batteries. Also most dealers don’t sell all HA brands, so can have an Audi pumping Phonak with only rechargeable battery, while an Oticon aid (which dealer doesn’t offer) with size 13 or 675 battery might be a better choice for the HA user.

And to be honest since HA dealers never disclose what commission fee they get on various aids they sell from various manufacturers, you’re not really the best source of information on this matter.

Wouldn’t it be nice when someone purchased a brand new HA, if the bill of sale showed.

Total cost of aid
Commission paid to dealer
Price of rechargeable aid with battery charger and rechargeable batteries
Price of same aid with disposable batteries
Dependability of aids with rechargeable batteries
Dependability of aids with disposable batteries
Etc.

But in the “land” of hearing aid manufacturing and dealer marriage all the above is pretty much kept secret from the majority of people who might need or will need hearing aid someday.

2 Likes

Agree, who needs activity tracking, engagement tracking, heart rate monitor, etc. What I was referring to was aids now can connect to TV audio, smart phone, offer directional microphones, water proof, etc. But bottom line if you can’t hear well with the aid you’re using or trialing, who gives a “hoot” about all these other bells and whistles. Sorry Starkey

2 Likes

I think Phonak should have learned a lesson from the Costco KS10 debacle.

2 Likes

<I suspect they could claim that rechargeable batteries make sense environmentally, which is probably true. >

Except at end of life. Those rechargeable lithium batteries are a disposal problem.

So are the hundreds of traditional batteries used by each HA wearer.

2 Likes

I take Mr. Bongo at his word, as well as other pros here who are stating what occurs in their office–people overwhelming want rechargeable aids. And they’re not being nudged in that direction by audis making a buck by doing that.

there is no nefarious plot to deprive folks of their rights. Car companies don’t make roll down windows anymore. Doubtless there are or were those who prefer these to electric windows. It wouldn’t be feasible to make a very car models of each type with roll down windows and ship them off when a customer requests them. there are a thousand similar examples. I manage to muddle along using electric windows and I don’t get angry and conspiratorial over every change in products I disapprove of. Boots, for example! they always seem to discontinue my favorite model every ten years! Ah well. What a world, what a world!

4 Likes

Hey guys. Just a reminder…

Every time we have another big battery vs rechargeable boxing match someone ends up getting banned.

Be nice!

Jordan

1 Like

Three things Jeffrey

Are you Um Bongo posting as Jeffrey. Sure seems that way

No conspiracy at all - and I don’t even live in Florida

And yes, “sometimes the truth hurts”.

Why shouldn’t someone who spends over $1,000 plus for a hearing aid know exactly where his or her money is going to all parties. Open the books and follow the money,

1 Like

Well, point taken Stevemink–if that IS your name…or is it…my old nemesis, Dr. Doom? (this is meant in fun.)

of course the same could be said of every single product each one of us buys. We could demand that amazon open the books and show us their cut on that electric toothbrush I just bought. And the shipping fees! And back to buying a car—why don’t dealerships open their books so that we can follow the money? There have to be a hundred different deals made in building and selling a car that I’m unaware of. In the end I don’t really want to know about the contract between a chip manufacturer in Taiwan and Ford’s exclusive contract with them. etc, etc. Too much!
the fact is that, as a consumer, I go into all my transactions with a good bit of awareness. I tend to know what features I’m looking for and ignore ads etc. that try to convince me based on incidentals. Don’t we all do this?

2 Likes

I have ruined numerous aids with perspiration entering the circuitry. The contacts in the battery drawer are usually corroded. I do try to take them out if I will be perspiring but it doesn’t always work out. In a week or so I will be fitted with Jabra Pro 10 rechargeables. I realize that there are the downsides to rechargeables but I am counting on their “water proof” ratings to eliminate my problem with perspiration entering the aids. Time will tell.

1 Like

I concur with MDB. Just purchased a new set of Phonak HA’s (Paradise Cros) They use type 13 batteries. I have found that the Kirkland brand ( Costco ) give me the best results. I switch them out every Monday morning. 6-7 days of good service. Before I dispose of them, I say “Thank you Boys and Girls for a job well done.” I would be sunk without my HA’s. I need all the good Karma I can get. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

So, just a conspiracy sort of person then.

3 Likes

I agree with you,Big Big mistake!!

Wonder if the Amish aids use rechargeable batteries?

Yeah, we’re all just one person disagreeing with his POV; because that many people couldn’t hold a reasonable opposing opinion……

Why does he think the manufacturers pay us a ‘commission’ ? We aren’t beholden to one of them for ‘wages’. We get charged a wholesale price for goods: if they’re decent, we sell more of them, if they’re rubbish we send them back for service lots and buy fewer in future. It’s not that hard.

5 Likes

And I don’t know about you, but we don’t make more on rechargeable hearing aids.

Ironically, when rechargeables came out our workplace noise-induced hearing loss insurance program didn’t offer them right away in part because there was concern that audiologists would be upset about missing out on battery sales.

3 Likes

Gee sure looks like Un_bongo and Jeffrey are the same person posting after all. Wonder how many other alias names they are using here???

1 Like

Ok dude.

Have it your way. ‘The Industry Man’ is running many aliases in different time zones to get one over on you.

If you’re really worried, get the Admin to do a drill down in the IP address of each of the colluding posters.

OTOH, just get a life.

5 Likes

I have Phonak Audeo V90 aids which I would consider replacing but:

I do not want rechargables due to the limited battery life - I work 24 hour shifts.

Phonak refuse to do an iPhone compatible aid with true made for iPhone features - find my hearing aids feature is awesome and you don’t know you need it until you have experienced it. I can count several times I have almost lost an aid and this feature alone would have saved me a lot of stress.

Phonak use old fashioned Bluetooth to connect to any old phone but ignore the benefits of low energy Bluetooth.

Rechargables aids are a prime example of planned obsolescence. The batteries just last long enough for most people’s regular use. Once the battery starts to deteriorate over the years it needs recharging after less use. Eventually the battery needs replacement. How long will manufacturers continue to support battery changes on older models which they stop supporting otherwise.

New aids are very expensive and I’m just not willing to make all the compromises Phonak require me to make for that price. Despite some bad experiences with initial trials of another brand and a preference for Phonak sound I may have to trial other brands again next time I purchase new aids.

7 Likes