Now, I understand….. Roger On, WOW factor!

@kevels55 Excellent :+1:t2:, I was thinking in getting the TV connector.
Have you had to pay customs?

Thank you @Baltazard, no custom payment was requested for the Roger Installer, which was a surprise…. I expected to pay something, but perhaps because it is classed as medical equipment, who knows…… Cheers Kev

Edit; HM Gov states on their website.

Guidance

Pay no Customs Duty or VAT on goods for disabled people

If you have a disability, or are an organisation supporting disabled people, you may be able to claim relief from Customs Duty and VAT

1 Like

If that applies everywhere, that may be a great relief!

Glad you enjoy the On with the newer HAs!

WH

2 Likes

This is a complete game changer!! Now I don’t need to wait for the myPhonak app to connect (easily 20 secs saved)!

Thanks for pointing this out as I wouldn’t have known otherwise!

3 Likes

Glad I could help mate :wink:

2 Likes

@kevels55

Do you have any idea as to why you feel the Roger is better with the TV and computer?

I have a loop system (supplied by the Sensory Team 15 years ago) and a Roger Select connected to my TV and I find my Roger better then the loop system.

Am curious if you know why your Roger is better then the TV Connector.

Does make me feel better you saying the Roger is better as I quite like the idea of using the TV Connector but can’t as I have older Aids.

Thank you for the question @Zebras, is is not that don’t think the TV Connector 2, isn’t a brilliant piece of kit, for the price, it is exceptional, And very versatile! In truth, if I was being very honest, Roger On is more “Concise”, as with all of us HOH, that is up for conjecture, and opinions will differ, as it should be…. Perhaps it would be a marginal improvement, with the neckloop (type 2 or 3) the clarity on that is good, but not as good IMO, as the license’s installed direct into the aids, so no intermediary device is required, apart from Roger On, connecting either the TV Connector or Roger On base unit, via a Toslink cable, instead of 3.5 jack plug, also ups the clarity. Perhaps a set of Marvel/Paradise Aids might be the better solution, but if money is tight, maybe that’s not a viable option? Boots Hearing Care do give you 2 years to pay, and interest free, which is excellent value! There are always plenty sets of aids 2nd hand on eBay…. Although, I am certain you will have considered all that! Cheers Kev :wink:

I think the loop isn’t stereo, and I think it has a more limited bandwidth.

WH

2 Likes

@kevels55 You’ve got a sort of “ear worm” started in my head, Kev. I keep saying to myself “Kev and his wife, Lispeth.”

[I’m sorry! I couldn’t resist, Kev!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:]

:chair::chair::chair::chair:

1 Like

A wee update guys and girls… Yesterday, I was off down to a pool competition in Glasgow, so I decided to take the Roger On, down with me, as for the pool, I won my first match 5-2, I played well, but my 2nd opponent, played slightly better, winning 5-4… My plan was to use the Roger On in the car, tis approximately a 420 miles round trip, my fellow pool playing pal, likes to drive, I personally hate driving, and only do so when I have no other choice… Fortunately or unfortunately, I did not feel any need to use the Roger On, as I was hearing perfectly well in the car, everything was clear as a bell, I am acutely aware, my hearing fluctuates at times, and yesterday I never missed anything Jamie was saying on the whole journey, there and back, normally I would struggle a little, with engine, and road noise, but since I transferred all the settings over from, my Naida M70 SP BTE’s, to the Naida P90 UP BTE’s, there has been a gradual, and very distinct improvement in my overall general hearing, the M70’s had REM done, perhaps those REM settings transferred across, but whatever I did, it appears to have worked :upside_down_face: us DIY’ers sometimes get it right, occasionally by default… :rofl: I seem to be on a mission at present, gathering all kinds of assistive listening devices, these ALD’s are pretty amazing technology, and as I learn, I am finding lots of information on Google, and YouTube, for instance, Sonova/Phonak sell FM transmitters, to the military, apparently (with Roger) they were first developed, and made for SEAL Team 6, which I was aware of, via YouTube, but also to the likes of the film industry, the director wears a Phonak Touchscreen Mic, he can talk to all collectively, or each actor individually, the actors use a Phonak Earpiece, each earpiece is an eyewatering £1300 each!!! They are CIC, and they are tiny, with FM transmitter, receiver, and wax guard, and that’s it, the V2 Phonak Earpiece has an approximate radius/range of 60 meters, but with a Touchscreen, Phonak Base Station, and Phonak Repeaters, you can get much further in a studio, outside it is much less of a distance, probably 20 meters or so? I ordered the Touchscreen Mic via eBay for £350, 2 Roger X (02) receivers for £200 each, plus £6 odds postage, and a Roger Pass Around the Mic for £10 plus £4 odds postage :upside_down_face: they normally retail for around £400 each! I am now planning the Roger Select, and once acquired, I should just about cover most eventualities? I should have done most of this years ago, but better late than never… As demonstrated, if you shop around, you can get some, if not all of these ALD’s for a knockdown price, otherwise they carry some fairly hefty price tags… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

why did you order these … The P90 already have receivers in them… at least the Three pairs that I purchased used have them in them.

1 Like

That’s because your bought them used. Kev bought his Aids brand new.

1 Like

Thank you @Zebras…. No unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that @GrayGhost (I wish it did!) there are no freebe Roger x (type 02 or type 03) in Paradise Aids, you landed very lucky with the 3 secondhand sets of aids you bought! Perhaps these aids were Ex-VA, maybe they install their aids with Roger Receivers before they send them out? You need a Roger Installer in order to install Roger X Receivers (Edit; License) into Paradise or indeed Marvel aids, (I have this Roger Installer) the Type 02 works with everything (allegedly) but the serial numbers on Roger x must be greater than 1744, to work with Marvel or Paradise aids, there are (Edit; 2 x License slots) on the Paradise, and Marvel I believe? You can install Type 02, and 03 simultaneously, although this is perhaps pointless if you have the 02 version? After a little faffing around, we have the Roger Touchscreen Mic, up and running, tis a magnificent piece of kit, sound quality is absolutely pristine, anywhere in my house is crystal clear! Did a quick test on my iPad via 3.5 Jack plug, excellent sound quality, all in all, apart from the expense, I am delighted…… Although, Roger Pass Around The Mic, sound quality leaves a lot to be desired, but perhaps if I play around with the settings, I might be able to improve on the sound quality? Cheers Kev :wink:

Just to clarify, what kind of receivers are you talking about? There Marvel and Paradise hearing aids have two very different components called receivers. The more typical receiver in a RIC goes into the ear and comes in different strengths. Then there’s the Roger receivers that the aid has but needs a sort of license to activate.

2 Likes

Yeah you are correct, thank you @MDB for that clarification…… You do not physically install the Roger Receivers into the Paradise or Marvel aids, the Roger Installer, just transfer’s the actual license from the Tape 02 or 03, into the aids to activate the onboard receivers, you can also remove the license back into the physical Roger X, and then the onboard receivers will be dormant, and no Roger products will work, (apart from Roger On In, or indeed the Neckloop) until you reinstall the license…… Sounds very complicated, but it’s actually a very simple process, once you understand the principle…… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

I think you are correct, the people I purchased form (I think) were VETS. and did not have to pay for them and that is why they sold them so cheep.

1 Like

Probably a fairly common practice @GrayGhost, some VETS selling their older VA aids? I think @WhiteHat said something about this when he was posting in another thread, I am almost certain, he mentioned his Phonak Paradise just worked when he received an order for his Roger On from the the VA, perhaps it was the Roger On In? WH might enlighten us? Perhaps as a bit of a sweetener, Phonak install the licenses on all VA aids for Roger products “Free Gratis”, or perhaps it is part of their contract…. Cheers Kev :

I got the Phonak audeo p90r aids in September. No mention then of ALDs. In December after asking my audiologist about ALDs, particularly the Roger On, they shipped one to my house. Not the “in” version, just a Roger On. Paired perfectly and instantly first time I tried.

No idea as to contractual provisions. But it saved me a trip having them pre-loaded.

WH

1 Like

Thank you @WhiteHat for that clarification…. I think we may conclude that for Phonak aids at least, the VA pre-install Roger x licenses, or have them factory installed at source? I am sure someone mentioned Phonak will confiscate any Ex-VA aids that come in for repair, if they do not that do not marry up to their original owner? Cheers Kev :wink:

I believe if you have proof of legit ownership they are returned. But a bill of sale or other documentation needs to be provided if you send in VA aids. But that is all rumor for me at this stage. The farther away I am from having to send anything in for repair, the better.

I will probably send them in near the end of warranty for new batteries. So they become good backups.

WH

2 Likes