No sound from ReSound LiNX Quattro receiver

Hi there! I’ve had one Resound Quattro in my right ear for ~6 months now. I was really happy with it the first few months but now I’ve started running into a single recurring issue.

When the device comes on, I can tell that sound is coming through the receiver based on the scratching noise. I can also stream music just fine directly into my ear. However, the main issue is that it doesn’t seem like I’m getting any sound from the receiver, through the wire, and into my ear itself. Essentially, with my hearing aid in I don’t get any benefit and sound is the same as without it.

I’ve gone back to my audiologist twice now and it’ll work fine for a day or two before reverting back to the same problem. I can’t seem to find anything out there that indicates that someone else has run into this issue. I’ve tried cleaning it every way I can (no solvents/solutions or anything like that), but it just doesn’t seem to cooperate.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

I could be wrong, but my first thought is that you have a bad or blocked mic. The receiver could be fine, but if it’s not getting any signal from the mic, it might as well not be working. If you are getting prompts and streaming, that would indicate to me that the receiver is working. I would ask you provider to check the mic. It may need to be sent in for repairs, or if it’s blocked, the audi may be able to unblock it by using suction.

The brand I work with gives us replacement mic covers, because dust, sweat, and other particulates can clog the covers similar to the way wax can clog a receiver.

1 Like

If it’s not a blocked speaker (requires wax guard change) Sounds lie it needs to be sent back to manufacturer to be looked at by the repair team. If it is only 6 months old it would still be in warranty

2 Likes

Have you been able to find a solution to this issue? My son is having the same exact problem. He is taking it in for the 3rd time, but it only works for a couple days! We live in a high humidity area so we’re making some changes to reduce the humidity in his room. We’re hoping with another fix and then lowering the humidity it might work??? The fix they do is replacing all the parts because they can’t figure out what’s wrong.

I’m sure this is a failure of the waterproofing around the microphone(s) in the hearing aid. The only fix is to have it returned to Resound’s service facility. Your audiologist won’t be able to do anything, except get it working again by drying it, only for it to fail again a few hours or days later.

I know of what I speak by the way. I have had this problem with Resound aids a few times, including with two year old Linx Quattros. Sending it back to Resound always fixes it.

Incidentally there is no way this is a wax guard issue, not least because streaming still works.

2 Likes

It’s possible, too, that it could be a dust and dirt issue in your external microphone openings. I’m a psoriatic and even with medicated shampoos, I shed a lot of dandruff. Strangely, I’ve had my left Quattro fail the same way 3x but never the right, which is still working great after 2.5 years. ReSound has always replaced the HA’s apparently with new bodies no questions asked and no response ever to repeated written queries from my audi for an explanation. The symptom has always been that streaming continues to work great but high-frequency external sound received through the mics is specifically decreased relatively to low-frequency sound and in the first one or two failures when I bothered testing my hearing with a smartphone tone generator, frequencies below 2 to 2.5K were ~unaffected whereas the higher I went above that, the more impossible to hear anything.

The last failure or two no extensive sweating, exposure to rain or other moisture was involved. My right HA, 2.5 years old, has experienced all the same environments that the left failed ones have. So I think it’s more of an issue of ReSound quality control. Since it’s always been a high-frequency external sound problem for me, I’ve wondered if in their effort to get that extended high frequency range that’s available when using low and medium power receivers (but which all Quattro bodies are presumably capable of trying to recognize as input), I’ve wondered if in attempting to build improved high-frequency reception into the mics/amplifying system or whatever that they built something more likely to fail.

I wonder, too, if amongst ReSound HA’s, too, whether this is specifically a Quattro issue or whether it has occurred or is occurring amongst LiNX 3D and ReSound One users???

Other than this annoying failure rate, I’m very happy with my Quattro’s. In the future on getting any new HA, I’m waiting to see, most importantly, what happens with BT LE Audio. But for me (this may seem strange), the deciding factor in what brand of HA to move onto next may very well be, since all premium hearing aids are said on the forum to give pretty good sound reproduction and hearing compensation to a very good degree, is what brand of hearing aid works best with an Apple Watch. I am often finding myself in noisy environments and don’t want to hear the noise: Jenn Air cooking fan, vacuum cleaner, rolling trash bins down the driveway, using power tools. Sometimes I am already wearing noise-blocking ear muffs but I can get ~10 extra dB of noise-blocking by turning my HA’s off since I wear ~totally occlusive silicone molds. Wearing ear muffs, for example, when I want that extra noise cancellation, I can’t just easily push a button on an HA. I ~always am wearing my Apple Watch now and besides turning the HA’s on or off extremely easily, I have access to ~the full Smart 3D program on the watch, so I can tune the amount of noise or wind reduction that I want if I still want to hear other sounds, too, when I don’t need to go the ear muff route but still want noise reduction or improved speech understanding in a noisy environment. I have ready access to switching to use my Multi Mic or my TV Streamer 2 without hunting for my iPhone (or Android phone, back in the day).

I think Samsung has just announced (or is rumored to be) throwing in the towel on its Tizen operating system for some of its forthcoming watches and will offer Android Wear instead (Hurray!). So a lot can happen with HA’s and smartwatches, smartphones in the next year or two. So I’m not committed to anything.

It would be interesting to hear from wearers of other brands to what degree they ever have this sort of issue. Since I wear ~totally occlusive molds (except for any sound leaking around the fit), I’m pretty sure most of my occurrences were just high-frequency loss and in one instance at least, I only noticed the problem when the defective ear was towards a high-frequency security alarm, the good ear was pointed 180 degrees away and blocked by the head and I couldn’t hear the entry alert with alarm set sounding until I turned the good ear towards the door. Otherwise, I thought my environmental hearing was normal!

Again in the first one or two failures, my audi said that she could see nothing wrong with the microphone openings. Just to help keep the elephants away, though, at her suggestion, I’ve started gently blowing the microphone openings using an extension tube on a can of 3M “Dust Remover” compressed gas so I can hear a “sssshh” or feel a slight stream against my fingers, not a “WHOOSH!” So, 8 months after the last replacement both HA’s are still working great, AFAICT.

1 Like

Hi, @tbg0001. If you agree based on the replies of other folks in your thread, you might want to alter the title of your thread to correct where the defect is occurring. That might help alert more ReSound or other brand HA users who’ve had a similar problem to chime in and share their comparative experience and possible preventative measures or solutions. I know that a number of people will recommend wearing something like EarGear or just a sweatband when sweating profusely.

1 Like

Similar issues here with quattro’s, had just over 2 years got near as soon as came out, as per Jim_lewis above has my left one lose high frequency sounds, so it must be one mic that picks up high frequencies.
Just had returned for 3rd time! they never ask questions so sorta assume they know there is perhaps a fault or something.
I guess one good thing as they never repair it seems just send a new or refurb one maybe I guess are getting new batteries in them each time!
I said to my audi now will keep these for work and calls/meetings/streaming indoors and use older ITE’s outdoors which is annoying as they don’t have much wind processing either!
For me whether is moisture or particles of debris, never had anything like this wearing ITE’s for nearly 30 years!

1 Like