NewSound NSG275 D8s Day one

Ordered on Saturday, shipped from Hong Kong on Tuesday, arrived on Friday. These were pre-programmed to my wife’s hearing loss. They sounded muted (not loud enough) and we got feedback when turning up the volume.

So first we tried MyFit. We entered the Audiogram and then clicked on the Beep-button to determine if she could hear a tone for each frequency. We clicked the Beep-All-button to cycle through the tones for all frequencies. We had to click the increase-button again-and-again in order to hear the tone in some frequencies and she still could not hear a tone for some low frequencies. But the sound was much better than the original muted sound so we saved these settings. Later while watching TV with booming surround-sound, the right aid would sometimes get feedback from certain action scenes/sounds. The intermittent feedback was intolerable.
Sorry, the picture was lost.

So we went to NsFit. We entered customer data and clicked save. We entered the Audiogram and clicked save.

On the personal config screen we limited the number of programs to 2 (Mic and adaptive-Mic). We don’t want a Telicoil program and we don’t know what a noise generator program is for, so we eliminated programs 3 and 4.

On the fitting screen we clicked AutoFit and AutoFit took us back to the original settings which sounded muted (not loud enough).

We increased the Gain settings moving the curve upwards. The sound was now loud. But the intermittent feedback was back. We moved the settings down and thought we had it set okay. So we drove to our local winery for wine tasting to try these in a cocktail party situation. Program-2 (adaptive-Mic) immediately went into feedback. Program-1 got intermittent feedback. The feedback was very intolerable.

We are guessing that the dark black line at the bottom of the chart is when feedback is likely to occur. So we will try again later today to get more volume without feedback. We will start at AutoFit settings and then increase Gain while trying to not cross the bottom dark black line. I don’t know yet if adjustments to Output control or Compression might be beneficial in our quest for more volume without feedback.

We did not change Output control or Compression.

Feedback Manager and Noise reduction was On.

Your charts are showing near maximum gain settings on instruments that are rated at 100 dB! :eek: IMO, these settings are way too high for the hearing loss (40 - 50 dB) and are probably causing the feedback problem. I would urge you to set the gain more toward the 30s until you see how your wife’s hearing reacts. Remember that NSFit may have some calibration problems…

Edit: For example, my hearing loss is 40 - 70dB but I get adequate correction with Maximum Gain settings that range from 20 - 34dB. Of course, the WDRC fitting parameters are different than ADRO.

I also would check the connections to the old earmolds that I believe you are using…

Thanks JC;
We did lower the gain. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “toward the 30s”?? See the arrows in this picture. The tube connections to the ear molds are snug.

I was reacting to the 5th picture down on your first post. The gain sliders are maxed and bright red, indicating way too high. The vertical scale indicates gain in the 30s but that is not consistent with the instrument ratings at those settings. Something is not right and it may just be the calibration of the graphs…

I would email some of your adjustment pictures to Alice and get her reaction.

I understand now. I already emailed those and a few questions to Alice. Thanks again for your help.

1. What does the lower Dark Black line represent?

Lower Dark Black is the Target Curve of Hearing loss at 50dB input level;
2) What does the upper Black line represent?

Upper Dark Black is the Target Curve of Hearing loss at 80dB input level; 3) What do the colored (40, 60, 90) lines represent?

40, 60, 90 is the Response Curves of Gain level at 40, 60, 90dB input level respectively.

We will get an online appointment: :slight_smile:
"Let us make a appointment. We will adjust through remote control.

We have about 15 hrs time difference. When will be online?

Best regards"

Last night Alice setup a remote fitting with one of LoveHearing’s engineers (Jim).
<!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–> <!–[endif]–><o></o>
This was “freaking-out” my wife who couldn’t quite grasp the concept of a remote fitting from Hong Kong.
I found out at the end of the fitting that Alice was typing for Jim. I was typing for my wife. We had a bit of a “Lost In Translation” problem. Jim/Alice asked if we could hear sound/voice. I asked my wife. She could hear sushing sounds but no voice. Finally we figured out they were talking about normal sounds (my voice) as opposed to a sound/voice generated from the MyFit software. Hahahaha.
Aside from this communications problem, the fitting went well. Jim was all over MyFit like a rash. He changed the gain, the compression, and the output.
I won’t bore you with left/right printouts for gain/output/comp. Here’s one printout of the fitting we ended up with. I will post our evaluation in a few minutes.

We like the these NewSound NSG275 D8s ($999 USD) from We like them very much. Much better than we liked the Phonak Exelia Art Micros ($6000 USD) or the Avio-5s ($3000 USD) from Costco.

My wife can hear again. I can see it in her mannerisms. I can see it in her eyes. Her what-meter went to almost zero. A great big bonus is that she can hear music. And it’s not that high-pitched tinny sound like we got from the Phonaks.

Another great big bonus is that we saved almost $5000 USD!!! That is un-f…ing believable. I didn’t want to get my hopes up too much that this product would be a good fit for my wife. But it is!

We have yet to try these in a noisy environment. So the jury is still out for speech in noise. I suspect they will be okay because Program 2 is for adaptive microphone. And hey (even if they were not to perform so well in noise) we want to keep them anyway!

The NewSound NSG275 D8s are keepers for us. The service from LoveHearing is exceptional. Here’s my wife’s Audiogram for reference:

Great progress!! Your gain settings are much lower now. I am still curious to know why the gain curve does not seem to match the audiogram, as my ADRO settings do…

However, what really matters is how well she can hear in real-world situations. :cool:

I am guessing that because NSFit is used for a variety of hearing instruments (HI) they don’t bother spending the time/money to make the graphs match for each specific HI.

I have a couple of questions about programming with NSFit<o></o>

1)I want to keep the onboard  VC (volume control) at the same levels after I make fitting changes. I'm  thinking that I need to turn VC on both hearing aids all the way up to 4 before  I save the fitting changes to the hearing aids.  Is  that right?&lt;o&gt;&lt;/o&gt;

2)I want to setup a program #3 for music (exactally the same as program #1 Mic) except that I want to change noise reduction to Off/No noise reduction. Am I correct in thinking that setting noise reduction to 0bB will turn noise reduction off? Any other advice for music?<o></o>
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]Yes, music band is wide comparatively. So, the gain in low-frequency and high-frequency can be set higher than in the first program.<o></o>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]Usually, the first program is set for daily.Relatively, there is a little language signal in high frequecny. Normally, we don’t adjust too much gain.<o></o>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]However,music may need to be heard a lot of low-frequency and high frequency,[/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]So turn off the noise reduction, and then appropriate increase in low-and high-frequency gain.<o></o>[/COLOR][/FONT]

The Noise Generator program #4 in a Tinnitus treatment.

Here’s a picture of our new Audi. She has sparkling eyes (one blue, one red). She makes whatever fitting changes we want at any time of the day or night. We love her!

Kitchen noises (banging pots/pans/dishes) were giving her a bit of a scare. We adjusted L/R Noise Reduction one click from -3dB to -6dB and that seems to work better.

We will probably need to make that same adjustment on Program-2 (Adaptive-Mic/Speech-in-noise). Program-2 is not easily tested because the directional microphones are not applied in a quiet environment, only in a noisy environment. I guess I will have to take her out to dinner.

Took her out to Dim Sum for lunch today. No we’re not Chinese. A Dim Sum restaurant is just a good place to test speech in noise. The NewSound NSG275 D8s worked very well in this noisy environment when she switched to Program-2 (Adaptive Directional Microphone). She could hear across the table just fine. For more testing she switched back to program-1 and the noisy restaurant sounds immediately drowned out my voice from across the table. So she switched again to program-2 for comfortable hearing during our remaining lunch time.

We continue to be impressed by these aids and we’re liking them even more as time goes by. Especially since we only paid a grand total of $999 USD for the complete package.

We did encounter one environment thus far that was uncomfortable. My neighbor’s kitchen has hardwood floors and a huge light fixture on the ceiling with a mirror in the middle. The sounds were echoing/bouncing off the reflective surfaces. So she walked out of the kitchen.

I will look into what to do about this type of environment (if anything). I’m wondering if the high end aids are effective at dealing with an environment that has mostly reflective surfaces?

Advice from LoveHearing was:
[COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]Pls down the gain and can help under this type of environment.<o></o>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]( set Noise Reduction will be helpful under noisy environment )<o></o>[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]<o></o>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]And also you can set program 4 for this environment.<o></o>[/COLOR][/FONT]

So I guess noise reduction doesn’t help this situation. This is only a tiny/small problem for us and only in this one place. I don’t think it’s worth a 4th program. We will turn the sound down or stay out of the neighbor’s kitchen.

Yesterday, we received a pleasant surprise with the NewSound NSG275 D8s.

She likes the way music sounds on program-1 (P1). It was my idea make it even better by building a music program. We were not using the Tele-Coil program-3 (P3) and also not using the tinnitus program-4 (P4). My plan was to setup P3 exactly like P1 except turning off noise reduction to 0dB and adding more gain in the lower and higher frequencies. Well I couldn’t get that to work for me. P3 was much louder that P1 even though the settings were the same. LoveHearing setup another remote fitting and we were able to get P3 setup as a music program.

It turns out she doesn’t like music with the new P3 and prefers to listen to music on the everyday P1. The music sounds in P3 had too much treble and not enough bass. The pleasant surprise is that P3 is great for watching TV! She understands much more of the speech/dialog than she ever did before.

We are very happy with the performance and the price of these aids.

After two weeks with the NewSound NSG275 D8s we wish the feedback control was better technology. Screaming kids at a birthday required turning down VC in order to avoid feedback. Otherwise we are still happy and still want to keep these.

The feedback control on this Inspiria DSP (GA3285) is not as advanced as the top-of-the-line Inspiria DSP (SA3286). See this Comparison-Chart of Sound Design Digital Products.

The top-of-the-line Inspiria DSP (SA3286) has Real Ear Feedback Measurement and this DSP does not.

PVC, you have done some great pioneering work for the next generation of “own-controlled” hearing aids. As our population ages your ground work will become important for the next guys and gals coming along.