Newest Science in Hearing Shows Brain Needs Access to Full Sound Landscape

If everyone spoke like a well spoken preacher or the newscasters on TV, I think we all could understand speech better.

4 Likes

I grew up on a farm in North Central Texas, went to a very small school. Most of my teachers stayed the same from the sixth grade through my senior year. I had a wonderful women as my English, literature, and Spanish teacher. I did great in basic English and past literature but dropped out of Spanish because I just didn’t get it. After high school I worked a year to earn enough to go to junior college and found out I couldn’t handle large classes. I joined the Navy and was given again very close to one on one training. I saw the world and found out I could not do Morse code, or understand the sonar sounds. But I did have a hearing test before and while in boot camp and they didn’t find an issue with my hearing. The first time I was told I had any hearing issues was when I had my mustering out physical. And all I was told is that I had some hearing loss, but they didn’t make a fuss about it. But I have had tinnitus about two years before I got out of the navy. It wasn’t until I accepted a IT support job that had me on the phones a lot that I realized I had real issues.
To answer the question about speech understanding, I have to say it is get the power right for sounds going to my ears. Also it means enough power but not too much power. And to be honest me losing some of my high frequencies is helping me get a fitting that works.
I now understand that more than likely I have had hearing issues my whole life. My hearing loss started out and to a point still s a cookie bite loss and that is due to my heritage.

1 Like

Well I can hear birds but my speech comprehension is only 20 percent. Please don’t tell me birds have been talking all along and I’m not getting it.

1 Like

I would say you someone that would be a great match for a CI… My Audi told me bluntly if this aids didn’t help me the way we agreed that I needed then my next step would be a CI if for no other reason but understanding speech. With your hearing loss even my uneducated believes would say that aids are not going to help your speech.

Blacky, thank you for the long reply. You were very succinct and explained it so scientifically. When it is all taken apart I guess I can understand. It seems to make some sense. There is such a difference in frequencies that no wonder we don’t hear it all. For instance, I believe I have mentioned this before on this forum that I do not keyboard but speak my messages. And what I have to do so there is not so much editing I have to deliberately speak every word separately and try to keep the same tone and rhythm.

Perhaps if everyone would speak like a robot then maybe we could hear them better. An Audi a while back told me that the reason we hear vowels better than consonants because there is more breath or longer exertion with vowels than there is with consonants. Don’t know if I am explaining that correctly. When we form a vowel it is almost like a sigh.

I can’t remember if you are able to hear speech. Let us know, OK?

To better hearing, Anita

CvKemp, I am so glad that your speech comprehension has gotten so good. You and I seem to have the same loss at 2K and 3K but then after that my comprehension falls off in the higher frequencies compared to yours.

My Resound Preza’s are working really well. No feedback at all. The right ear Dome has always given me trouble getting it in perfectly. I got so tired of fiddling around with it that when I first put it on in the a.m. I just shove it in there hard, I have to laugh, but it works. Being that things are going so well now I don’t know if I should try another brand. If I stay with Costco I don’t have much of a choice with rechargeable’s. The other only brand is Rexton.

More volume is not the answer so I may go in and ask my fitter if he can adjust some of the frequencies so that I could hear speech better.

Anita

1 Like

You mean you did not know that? The Canadian geese just flew overhead and they said see you next spring.

Vowels are basically breathing out with our mouth, tongue and vocal cord in steady position. Also some r variations.

That’s easy to do for a long time.

Consonants use a burst of air with mouth/tongue/cords in one position but we just can’t make them really long, because they are heard only when those variables align, and there’s a air burst.

From what I’ve gathered about sounds.

Wiki ipa page is interesting to check out and to understand it better. Especially to realise how some language has variations of the same letter depending on the word it comes in, and when you say the word you’ll see the difference but you don’t think about it until you check the ipa page :joy:
At least that was my experience, I’m learning German so I was interested to see what I caught up with so far.

I have worked hard to regain my word understanding, I have spend a few years with a speech therapist that works with kids that are hard of hearing and even deaf. My hearing aids and the way that my Audi has been able to create a fitting that really works for me has been very important too.
I guess for me it was my upbringing, my parents and grandparents raised me to believe there are no limits to what can be done as long as I believe I can do it. I was born a share croppers son that believed that there were better things in the world, but I never forgot my roots. I am now 73 and I still read, study, and research anything and everything that I find interesting and even a lot that I find sickening to me. I still have that drive to be better each and every day.
I served two Presidents, and 2 Vice Presidents, and I have studied everything from speed reading to microprocessor design. The world is there and we have to make it ours.

2 Likes

I guess I’m the opposite of cvkemp. I’ve definitely settled for mediocre results from my Starkeys. I have the tools myself, along with some prerequisite knowledge, and my audiologist is pretty decent too. I just find it too frustrating, too time consuming and too random to judge results in the real world, versus changes in the programming. The biggest flaw in hearing aid science is the open loop nature of programming. The audiograms don’t have near enough information (what is it, 8 frequencies tested or something like that? Versus many more bands/channels of settings.) REM aren’t fool proof either. I think it would be just as good to have a different semi-random setting set every day or hour or something and accepted and rejected by the wearer. And after a while the algorithm could successive approximate the best programming. Like Tinder for hearing.

I think Widex has an option in the app for something like what you propose. It basically gives you lots of A/B choices.

I have always found that wind noise in Oticon OPNs to be far inferior to the so much better wind noise reduction in ANY Siemens Signia from the old Bx model all the way through to the latest Experience X.

I get the strong feeling that not even one of the Oticon factory people (that matter) have ever played golf while wearing a broad-brimmed hat.

Surely it is way past time to upgrade their wind noise reduction algorithms?

I still wear Oticon OPN Ss because of superior feedback reduction ability and for me, understanding speech.

I bike ride and drive with my window down and the Oticons seemed perfectly fine to me. Any less wind noise than that and it would have been essentially deleted, which isn’t what I want because I can hear wind noise even with no devices in my ears. I also usually have my audi turn off all feedback reduction features as they tend to cause more issues for me than they solve.

1 Like

I have found wind from the side is OK with effectively reduced noise…but wind from directly behind is not compensated for, especially when wearing a brimmed hat.

The algorithm obviously compares side to side mic and deletes the wind noise if it senses a different input, but when both side mics hears the wind, the algorithm fails miserably…give it a go next time she blows.

I think that wind from directly ahead is not a problem because the mid-mounted mics are protected by being situated in the lee of (behind) the ears. And the top mics are recessed inside with the entry holes facing aft.

…and you would have thought those Oticon Nordic Vikings would know something about a following wind. :rowing_man: :dash:

We need to wear brimmed hats in Australia to guard against too much sun resulting in skin cancers. The wind-speed under the brim at the top of the ears is accelerated past the mics with resulting rushing noise.

The joys of living in God’s own country!

I May be use to Oticon aids since I have worn them for 10 years but I don’t notice any wind noise, road noise or even background noise. That also could be due to my tinnitus issues. I also ride a Vespa Scooter, hike the trails and when my wife isn’t with me I have the windows open. Growing up when there wasn’t any air conditioning it is natural to have the windows down.

@ cvkemp

Thanks for your interesting comments based upon on your long experience with Oticons. It would seem that I have some issue which only affects me? I will look into the software programming to ensure that I am not missing something here.

I have previously found that the similarly configured Siemens Signia RIC aids (NX and X) cope very well with wind noise (which I mostly encounter when playing golf).

Let me get back later.

1 Like

To me it isn’t the brand that any finds that work it is the fact they find aids that work the best possible for the person.

If my wife didn’t turn her head away from me and talk looking out of the window, I wouldn’t have a problem with her, either.

2 Likes

open is 4 yrs old instrument it should be due for an update sometime

OPN may be 4 years old, but OPN S is not.

1 Like