Newbie with new Resound Hearing Aid - should I have gotten Starkey?

I have “mild to moderate” hearing loss, especially at high frequencies. I tried the Starkey aid in the office (a sample) - I just put it behind the ear - but because it takes a larger battery and is bigger than other aids I thought it was uncomfortable behind the ear. Thus I opted to try the ReSound hearing aid - the one that links up to your iPhone so you can listen to music or phone calls with Bluetooth.

I’ve had the aid a few days only and when listening to music on my iPhone the sound quality is terrible. I’m not that picky about music quality really but it’s very tin-ee (not sure how to spell that). It’s so bad there is no way I’d listen to music through these aids streaming from my iPhone. It’s sooo much better if I take the aids out and put the regular iPhone earphones on.

So - - I am wondering if the sound quality of music (and the voices of people on the phone) would be better with the Starkey?

Also my aids make this “shhhhh” sound unless I turn the the base and treble setting way down to the lowest setting. Loud noises such as slamming doors can almost hurt - although I understand this is some setting that can be adjusted by the audiologist - I have an appointment to see the audiologist again on Friday.

If I put my hearing aids on “restaurant” to get rid of background noise I also get a loud “shhhh” sound.

I am wondering if I chose the wrong aids or whether this can all be fixed.

I guess also that it takes awhile to adjust to having something in your ear. The behind the ear part is comfy but having something inside my ear will take a bit of getting used to.

Thanks for listening to me gripe :slight_smile:

Music will sound tinny if you’re using open domes because all the low frequencies are leaking out. Your audi can increase the Streamer BassBoost setting which might help, but you’ll probably want to use tulip or power domes if you plan on streaming music often. Does the soft hissing sound occur only in quiet situations? That can be fixed by increasing the expansion setting.

I have had a lot of problems with the Resound Linx2 961s due to microphone noise (crackling, static like or whirring sound heard in quiet situations in time with a voice or noise such as car air con or a newsreader) in one aid only and although expansion helps it did not take it away completely. My Audiologist found that the aid is spending a lot of time in directional mode with the second microphone activated. The first R aid was replaced by Resound but the problem is present in the replacement as well. The audiologist is trying to get answers out of Resound or the rep to come out but local rep just promoted so no new one yet.

Hey, gripe away. We all do. :slight_smile:

Things seeming loud or annoying is a common problem for those just starting. The brain will adjust to that over time. It has lived in a quieter mode and strained to hear. That has sensitized it to “noise” but, with well configured aids, it adjust to the new levels. Sounds that were muted in the past are now much louder. Keyboard, water running – simple everday sounds – seem too magnified. It should pass with use.

Don’t give up or get frustrated too quickly. Most folks work into the new/louder world gradually. All of a sudden you’ll think back to the problem after realizing it is gone.

Your hearing aids - without regard to manufacturer - have a completely different purpose than other headphones. They are fundamentally providing the high frequency sounds consistent with your hearing defect.

It will take 2-4 weeks for your brain to get used to your hearing soft and/or high frequency sounds. In the beginning everything is really loud and over time the sound levels become “normalized”. I have been wearing hearing aids for about 90 days. Environmental sounds are no longer extremely loud. I still deal with 2 or 3 people a day who are “loud talkers”. They sound like they are shouting when I am wearing hearing aids. Without the aids they sound normal. Don’t get discouraged because the process takes awhile for you to become comfortable with hearing aids. And have you noticed that when you walk, you make a noise, especially on sound or gravel…there are all kinds of surprises for you as you adapt. That was one of my surprises.

first off it’s apparent users with really good hearing are hearing the noise generated by the microphones. this is more pronounced whenever the dual directional microphones kick in as aids try to compensate for the reduction in gain that comes from subtracting the sounds from one microphones from the other.

I’ve read there’s this notion that having one aid in directional mode and the other aid in omni-directional will improve speech discrimination. can’t remember where I’ve read this, I believe a study was done to confirm this. I thought this was something only oticon aids did. but looks like resound may have adopted this strategy. must be coordinated between aids via their binaural feature. I bet if you unpaired the aids the microphones will stop going into directional mode. but lack of the binaural feature may make the 2 aids perform worst. but then again I don’t believe any of the binaural features that does not involve streaming sounds between aids have been proven to provide measurable help.

only way to confirm that the aids are doing this is via a resound engineer, imo. maybe shoot an email, or inquire off their webpage or ask your audi to inquire. it would be interesting to know this.

It might be that the “shhhhh” sound is just a sound that you didn´t hear before. Restaurant: The street outside, boiling water from the kitchen etc.

Whenever I thought I hear a hiss, it was something I missed before, like the computer´s fan, rain outside, whatever.

I am now used to all those noises, take them as a free tinnitus masker …

My HA’s hiss all the time but that’s by design with the Tinnitus masker. I’m very used to it now.