Newbie with High Freq. loss considering low priced generic aid

Hi to all. I just discovered this forum. For awhile now, my wife has been saying I have a hearing problem. A couple years back, I did have a real in office audiogram (but don’t have the record). Recently, I did an online test (which is the posted audiogram). I have noticed difficulty in hearing high pitched tones (eg., a watch alarm).

Right now, I am trying out a low priced hearing aid (Neosonic EZ). According to the product info, it is digital, 12 channel, with feedback control and three background noise modes (and other features). They say it is designed to deal with loss from 2 - 8 Khz. That seems to describe me. But the device is not “fitted” to my audiogram.

It does help. But, since I’m not used to it yet, a lot of things sound a bit loud. So, I have the volume turned down quite a ways.

My question… Am I barking up the wrong tree to consider such a device? Should I be exploring customizable devices instead?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

You have spent many years with less than normal hearing. With amplification the world will seem loud.
I use the tv as a benchmark with the spouse who seems to hear fine. I let them set the volume. Then I turn up the aids (or down) to a sufficiently comfortable level so that I can understand the speech.

I would certainly go get an updated proper hearing test. They’re usually free with no obligation.

1 Like

I’d say you’re barking up the wrong tree. Is Costco a possibility? You could get a pair of great hearing aids for $1499, assuming you’re in the US. Assuming you’re not a Veteran. If you are, explorig if you qualify for VA is a good idea.

2 Likes

I would guess you are getting the wrong amplification for low frequencies, as the aid is not set for your loss. If you want to buy on line with lowest cost go to a vendor that uses your audiogram. ( ie audicious). They sell Hanston which is owned by Phonak. You upload your exam and they set the aid correctly for your particular loss. The other option would be Costco.

It all depends whether “good enough” is OK or if you want the best hearing possible. I think you owe it to yourself to go get a proper test and get fit (properly) with some good hearing aids on a thirty day trial basis. If they are not enough better than the cheapies, turn them back at the end of the trial. At least you will know if “good enough” is really good enough.

1 Like

There is a member here who has used a product from Sound World Solutions. It has an app with an equalizer where you could turn down amplifying the lows but turn up the highs.
We all understand the high cost of entry in this business. I think these other devices (called OTC for Over the Counter or PSAP for Personal Sound Amplifier Products) could be satisfactory for people.
With your rough audiogram done in an uncontrolled fashion it looks like you have similar losses both sides. So maybe one of these less expensive options might work for you.

But certainly check any health insurance providers you’re with (public/private/employer) and as mentioned from MDB, the VA in the US.

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts.
As suggested, I will try to arrange for a real in office hearing test.
Meanwhile, the suggestions given for getting used to the present devices are much appreciated.

A Costco is probably the best place to start to get an audiogram. They are very thorough in the testing and fitting if you do decide to get an aid. They always do the Real Ear Measurement when fitting, while more places than not, skip that test (or don’t have the equipment to do it).

If you are going to get a real hearing aid the Costco Kirkland Kirkland Signature 9.0 is probably the lowest cost way to get into a premium level hearing aid at $1500 a pair.

1 Like

Well, I did get a free professional audiogram at a local hearing aid establishment that specializes in the Audibel DaVinci model. In any case, the professional audiogram was very similar to the online audiogram (free at: hearingtest.online). The main difference is that the professional version has a calibrated reference point, while the online test is somewhat subjective, so you can’t be sure whether the “zero decibel” line is really 0, or 10, or 20 decibels. Also, I didn’t know whether my headset had flat response across the range.

The DaVinci model was quite expensive. (They wanted $10,000 for a pair.) I did explore other options, including the online hearing test at Audicus, and the conversations with a sales representative that followed. He was very helpful, in thinking through how well my present devices are working for me, in various environments. The Audicus products are much less expensive (around $1100-1400 per pair), but still more technology than I think I need at present.

So, for now, I am sticking with a pair of Neosonic EZ hearing aids. These are preprogrammed for common high end age related loss. Just for grins, I tried an online test with earphones over the hearing aid microphones (away from ear canal), and found the result pretty level across the frequency spectrum (within 10 db), except at 8Khz, it was 20 db down.

The main issue is getting used to the increased volume of certain sounds. But that would be a factor with the fancy models, too.

Thank you all.

I had a pair of Hansaton aids from Audicus for 5 years and they served me well. The were the X mini. However, when I got ready for new aids this year I found that the Audicus price was the same as Costco.

I do not think that the aids are set properly for your loss and that is a big issue. They are amplifiers not aids. I would reconsider and at least trial a pair of hearing aids, they have a refund policy and all give you time to test them out. If you don’t see a significant difference then send them back. I think the Audicus or Costco would be your least costly choices right now.

I did buy my mother a pair of Audicus as going into a retail store was not even feasible. I had a copy of her old test results. I noticed today when I checked on line that their prices had gone up. They will negotiate with you, I got the price lowered a bit on the phone when I closed the deal.

If you’re happy with them and they meet your needs, great.