Hi all, first time on here. I’ve been reading quite a bit but need some advice. It’s kind of a multi-layered question, so I hope I’m not off base.
I am a 65 year old male. Went to a Hear Again Center for my hearing test today. I had one 3 years ago. I have moderate to severe hearing loss. They showed me the test results as compared to last time and I’ve gotten much worse. I do not currently have hearing aids.
After the test the audiologist showed me the recommended hearing aids. My insurance, Anthem BC+BS covers up to 1500 per ear for a “medically necessary basic hearing aid.” She is recommending Starkey Livia that would cost an additional $5600 plus my insurance money (8600 altogether.). That includes 3 years of service, adjustments, warranty and batteries.
I have also done research online and know that the most expensive hearing aids at Costco would cost a total of $2600 (I called this afternoon just to confirm.). However, they are not “in network” and I don’t know if BC/BS would give me the same amount of money towards their hearing aids. So I guess my questions are:
- Why is my audiologist only pushing one type of hearing aid?
- Why are thy so blessed expensive?
- Does anyone know if BC/BS will reimburse me for HA’s bought somewhere else, like Costco?
- Are Costco hearing aids “as good as” the Starkey that is being recommended for me?
- What about buying online like from HearStore?