New Widex hearing aids not helping speech understanding

I mean, you’re over-amplified pretty substantially at 2kHz and then under-amplified above that. It’s not that surprising that you’re getting some weird noise without clarity. When you customize settings to make it go away, are you turning down the volume in the mids?

I use the “speech in noise” setting. It’s my program 2. It helps me with “speech in noise”. If you don’t have it on your app settings, you may want to ask your provider to add it.

I’m taking it off universal setting and then choosing a “family gathering” setting. I’m not adjusting anything directly.

I am going to the audiology department of one of the best health care systems in the area. If I can’t get someone there who knows how to adjust them, where in the world would I go?

My larger issue is that, for all practical purposes, I have just this appointment before I run out the clock on my 30 day return period. If the audiologist I’m going to can’t fit them right, I guess I don’t have any choice but to give up on them working and just return them.

You mention your speech recognition score to be 100%. There is information missing here.
You can measure speech recognition at different levels, with or without additional noise. You got your 100% score at a high level (65 dB or even 80 dB), which only means that you could (!) get a very decent speech recognition if your aids were fit correctly. If one cannot understand speech presented at a high level, it is unlikely that hearing aids could help much - which is not the case for you.

If you really want to find out what the aids help, you would have to do a speech recognition test (with and without aids) at different levels, starting at 30 dB or so. Then you get a speech recognition threshold (the level at which you start to understand at least some words). Your understanding should significantly improve at normal levels (50 dB, for instance) and in noise. That’s the goal, and if those aids with that fitting don’t do that, then discard them.

hi i have hearing aids phonak for
a mild loss …
I am fine …
courage

Yeah, that’s hard, I’m sorry.

Let them know at your follow-up that you don’t feel like they are helping you and you cannot in good conscience KEEP them given that at this point they are not helping you and bring up your concerns about the trial period. They will probably recommend either extending the trial period or swapping them for something else.

3 Likes

I think I’ve decided in my plan. I have a follow-up now. If they can’t fix the white noise I’m going to return them. I’m also going to post my new audiogram (hopefully I’ll get one,) and if you all think it still looks problematic I’ll return them.

I’m done with my follow-up. The audiologist said she thought the white noise was floor noise, and the reason it went away when I changed the setting is that changing the settings dropped the gain. They were originally set at 90%, so she moved them up to 100%. She thinks my hearing loss is so mild that they have to be turned up to get any benefit, so the floor noise us inevitable.

She did switch it to Pure Sound, but didn’t recommend that because it wouldn’t help in noisy rooms.

She said I could return them and order a pair of Oticons, but music wouldn’t sound as good.

Welp.

Well the first thing that comes to mind, is if it really was floor noise, then your going to experience this on any other HA as well, honestly there’s no way the noise could be so so loud that it was getting in way of your hearing, but anyways as for her advice on Oticon HAs not having a very good music program that’s something only you will know after a trial, Oticonians on here will tell you the More has a very good music program,but definitely you’ll need to switch to another brand to know for sure which suits you best.

Good luck

3 Likes

I’ve been told by an audiologist of 30 years that Phonak are good for not producing floor noise.

Not sure if that depends on type of hearing loss tho.

He says Phonak cope better with very mild losses.

I have more severe hearing loss, and originally had an audiologist fit new top of range model Phonak audeo which were woeful for me, no voice recognition, could just hear motorbikes Buses and dogs way louder. i sent them back. Researched more myself. my research choice led me to Widex moments 440, I fit them myself use a P receiver and can now hear conversations, TV without weird connections and even Movies at the cinema. The whole range of notes on a grand piano, with only one or two notes seeming out of tune. However, I could not have achieved this by going back and forth to an audiologist as I would be bankrupt by now. It must be down to individual preference, because for me the widex worked better than i even expected to achieve
Calvino

2 Likes

I’m sorry. I’m frustrated on your behalf. It’s not true that the noise floor is inevitable. Did you return them?

The oticons might do a better job of hitting your targets on first fit. Who knows. Music will sound fine.

What are your other provider options in your area?

I’ve learnt that sometimes what you see on screen isn’t how things actually are. It’s very important to be diplomatic and kind as a clinician when you’re reviewing a colleagues work. You don’t know what the client asked for in the appointment and what reasons they might have had for programming things in a certain way. Sometimes the information is incomplete. I would always err on the side of caution.

1 Like

Hello threedimen,

Your audiologist gave you part of the answer about the cause of the white noise/floor noise.

It’s maybe because of the dynamic compressor that you have floor noise. There is less nuances than in natural sound. An example would be the differences of nuances between electronic music VS classical music. The electronic music sounds like a wall of sound.

The classical music sounds more like the nuances we can hear in nature between a leaf and a truck.

Same for TV commercials VS movie.

A good way to avoid floor noise/white noise is to adjust the hearing aids more like classical music than electronic music :wink:

Hope it helps a little bit to understand

ps: I don’t know your audiogram neither how HA are adjusted so I’m just giving how it works and is a common issue.

Settings and audiogram are posted.

Ok, not much difference what I said before, always CR/CK issues that brings sounds too much for threedimen hearing loss , especially under 1kHz which is not as bad.

threedimen would have more benefit with a frequency algorithm and linear/semi-linear compression and won’t have that “white noise”

So, you don’t look at a lot of those, huh?

What do you mean?

Please enlighten me with the technical solution you have to offer except “go elsewhere”, buy another brand or the REM should be on the target ( you know what I think about it).

I just mean that the gain that is there isn’t that compressed. But also I saw you were in France and my understanding is that real-ear measures aren’t widely used there yet? Talk about opportunity to differentiate your practice.

Are you the guy who doesn’t believe in cochlear tonotopicity? I forget.