New user please help

It would help if you work with a speech therapist to teach you how to speech-read along with the new hearing aids.

0 Likes

You say you have custom molds. I had custom molds made and I didn’t like them. I suggest you try different combinations of domes and programming. Each time you change domes (in either one or both ears) you will need to have your audi reprogram you aids to conform to your new dome choice.
I have closed domes. I prefer the sound of open domes (more natural-sounding), but with my loss and the amount of amplification I need, the open domes cause too much feedback. So I often will pull out the dome just slightly in my worse ear to relieve the occlusion, and then boost up the total volume a bit. I’ll bet others on this forum have their little individual tricks to help them hear better, too.
It’s a long slog to get through all these trial-and-error adjustments. Is it worth it? Hell yes! What alternative do you have? IMHO it is important to have faith that you are going to end up with acceptable speech comprehension at the end of this journey. I think you will.
It’s important not to freak out. Your brain is being exposed to, no ASSAULTED WITH, sounds it hasn’t heard in decades. This is going to take awhile. But you’ll get there. Welcome to this forum filled with caring, knowledgeable, and helpful people. Good luck.

0 Likes

I disagree. You don’t have the low frequency loss that she does. If occlusion is a problem, there might be some room for a little more venting, but I don’t think experimenting with assorted domes is likely to help. That doesn’t mean just putting up with things. If something is bugging her, she should work with the audiologist.

0 Likes

Yes, that is true. Go back and get some adjustments but if the are set accurately for your hearing loss, try not to turn them down. You will get used to them. A tinny sound means you are hearing high frequencies that your brain is not used to. This is good. Your brain will adjust but again, it takes months of wearing them all day, every day.

0 Likes

MDB you’re probably right. I didn’t look at the audiogram.

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice. I know maybe this sounds nuts but I think that if I deal with the depression first I’ll be able to wear the hearing aids . I know it’s not perfect but it’s better then nothing. Here’s my question if I still don’t wear the hearing aids will my hearing get worse? Or if I just wear it to appointment and meeting. I know on my Audigram it looks so bad but I can still hear a lot of things and I hear my family most of the time. Please any thoughts on that .

0 Likes

The ability of your brain to make sense of certain sounds will get worse because it’s not getting the stimulation it needs. If it’s really overwhelming to think of wearing them most of the day, start off with half an hour a day and gradually work up. (Nothing magical about half an hour–just pick something that seems doable) I think dealing with the depression is a great idea. And to put things in perspective, if you’re talking about delaying on working on wearing hearing aids for a few months while you get depression better under control, it’s not going to make a lot of difference (meaning it’s not going to get a lot worse) I’m impressed with you having come to the forum to seek assistance and for having developed a plan for dealing with this. Best of luck and keep us posted.

0 Likes

Stats show that “hearing loss,” where you hear frequencies, is going to change very slowly, maybe 1 to 2% per year. Word understanding and speech discrimination can drop anywhere from 8% to 20% per year.

You may not know this, but there is a link between depression and hearing loss.

0 Likes

UIn 2 months I’ve worn them a total of 12 hours non consecutive that’s on me but I swear I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me hear this don’t hear that . Any thoughts on how to deal with the depression. My husband is extremely social and we have a very big family constant gathering how I managed before with out any problems is beyond me but I did and rarely thought of my hesring loss.thank god my husband is patient Now it’s all I think about I need a break from this I just want to not think about it for abit😪

0 Likes

word recognition will decrease even if I wear a hearing aid ?

0 Likes

I know I am depressed from my hearing loss I just don’t know how to fix it . It’s not that easy

0 Likes

No,

leaving it untreated allows for those big drops in discrimination and word recognition.

0 Likes

This is so important. I can vouch for this personally. I took a 4 year break from hearing aids due to sweating outdoors, excuse. Not only did my hearing loss get worse but my word recognition got much worse. Eric.cobb has given you some fantastic advise. If you can follow his plan I suspect it will get you over the hurdle of hating the aids.

0 Likes

I am wearing them as a type I am going to follow his schedule I know it will work out in the end . I won’t let this ruin my life any more. There are worst things to happen to people.

1 Like

:smile: Awesome for you GB! You can do this!

0 Likes

Good for you.
This forum is full of success stories. It sure picks me up to read them.

0 Likes

Thanks I guess I just needed to grow up and deal with the cards

1 Like

Thank you all hope to be one of them soon!

1 Like

@gobananas2 > word recognition will decrease even if I wear a hearing aid ?

If the hearing aid is properly set up, word recognition will invariably be better than without a HA. The HA will not solve all word recognition problems, just make things less bad.

Please take it slowly, the HA break in that is, but keep at it. You’ll do much better in the end, and it will indeed help depression as well. I have depression issues myself, and know that being able to hear half decently has helped quite a bit.

0 Likes

Think of riding a bicycle/horse whatever. If you fall: 1- do you quit? 2- do you get back on and try again?

I rest my case.
BTW, as said many times. The Brain needs to learn/get used to the HA.

0 Likes