New to hearing aids, having problems getting programing right/warble effect

Hello All!

A quick introduction and then on to the reason for my post.

I’m in my late 50’s and probably had some hearing loss already due to the use of guns, lawnmowers, chainsaws and electric guitars over the years without using hearing protection. But I did enjoy the electric guitars! J In the last 20 years or so, I did start using hearing protection when needed.

About a year ago I experienced a severe, acute auditory trauma when I was near a heavy equipment battery explosion; it was the loudest thing I had ever heard or been exposed to. As a result, I have suffered some hearing loss/damage that may well be permanent, especially in the higher frequencies. I waited several months thinking my hearing injury would get better, and though it did improve some, I did not recover fully. It was time for hearing aids. I did get an audiogram a few days after the accident and about 6 months later.They were about the same.

Initially, I tried the Widex Zen-to-go with a Dr. of Audiology to help my severe tinnitus, along with my hearing loss. I was extremely depressed due to the accident and the fact that I am/was an amateur musician and music was a big part of my life.

Anyway, getting to the point, and reason for this post, I got tired of hearing the wind-chime tones in my ears in the zen mode and the Widex aids and they were very metallic sounding.

I turned them back in before the trial period ended and tried the Phonak Audeo V90 310 BTE aids and they sounded much better/less metallic than the Widex zen-to-go, and also had a white-noise tinnitus program that I liked better than the wind-chime tones in the Widex.

I did purchase the Phonak aids after the trial period and they have helped my hearing, and my tinnitus to a great extent. However, I do still have some issues… the infamous “warble” effect with some tones, especially the higher frequency tones like the beeper/timer on a microwave oven, and some higher frequency voices.

The Phonak audio tech has been very kind and courteous and has tried to program the V90s a couple of times to get rid of, or at least help, the warble effect.
The last time I was there, she called a Phonak rep to ask for help with the programing. The Phonak rep said it was most likely entrainment feedback causing the “voice in the fan” or warble sound. So, we turned off the whistle-block feature and changed the open receiver domes to the closed domes, and recalibrated the aids. At that moment in time it seemed to help, and I think it did help some, especially with the higher frequency voices, but I still get the “warble” with the microwave beeper and other higher frequency tones.

I think the Phonak Audeo V90s are among the latest and greatest digital hearing aids on the market, but I think the individual programing for me could be refined and improved with the right programing adjustments.

Can anyone with a similar experience or expertise share any solutions/suggestions?

Thanks!!!

HGR

Not sure about the “warble” you are talking about. I never heard that with my V90’s. Mine seemed to improve with custom molds (after I got used to them) and I tried both open and closed domes prior to that as well. One reason I switched to custom molds was that my hearing aids would slide out of my ear over time. They are however, much more sensitive with the custom molds as they now sit closer to my eardrum. Just a thought. And, yes, I love my V90’s as well! Best decision I’ve made in a looong time!

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure about the “warble” you are talking about.

My definition of “warble” is the same as “voice in a fan sound”, “fast tremolo”, “fast vibrato”, etc… not a smooth tone, but like an opera singer voice with the frequency speeded up 20 or 30 times faster. Does this make sense?

I don’t hear the warble/nuance anomaly sound all the time… just with some higher frequency sounds.

Thanks!

HGR

Could it be the feedback cancellation? I heard that warble and asked about it. Had too much feedback with domes so went to custom earmolds so that the feedback cancellation was able to be turned down.

Consider that a tone from a microwave or other device electronically looks much like “feedback”. I believe that it is caused by one of two features in the aid: the feedback controller or if you are using it perhaps sound recover. Most likely it will be the feed back controller thinking it has found feedback and it is changing levels and phase to stop the “feedback”.

Unfortunately, I don’t know that the aid can be adjusted to stop the warbling without affecting the ability to stop feedback.

I have Costco Phonak Brio hearing aids and noticed the warble on certain high frequencies, like whistling and musical notes. I requested as an experiment on the manual music mode to remove all whistle block and directionality and that eliminated the warble completely. Music now sounds great as does whistling. I have cones with holes, and yes if I hold my hand up to the hearing aid I get feedback, but I want my music to sound great, and now it does.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I appreciate it.

And, I did research the archives here regarding “warble” and “voice in the fan” effect. The responses almost always involve turning off or lowering the whistle block to some extent, along with adjusting certain frequency gain.

I requested as an experiment on the manual music mode to remove all whistle block and directionality and that eliminated the warble completely. Music now sounds great as does whistling.

Thanks for the comment, higlider, but what exactly do you mean when you say “directionality”? The 360* option?

Though there are many options/programs with the Phonak Audeo V90 310, my program is set up with 5 basic program options; the automatic or start-up mode (this is the program I used most often); the speech in loud noise (which I use less often); speech in 360* (which is what I think higlider was referring to); music mode (which I do use when I play my instruments, but am not quite satisfied with this program); and lastly, calm situation, which includes the white noise generator for tinnitus.

I was wondering if the whistle block is turned off in the automatic mode, does that mean it is turned off in all the other modes/programs?

With all due respect to the audiologist technician (and she had been extremely friendly and nice, as well as patient), I think the new Phonak Audeo V90s are so sophisticated, she is still in the early stages of the learning curve when it comes to programming them, particularly in my situation. My hearing loss was sudden and due to noise trauma more so than a slow loss over time, like most people with hearing loss. I guess I’m just an odd-ball. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

HGR

As long as they run the whistleblock once then turn it off, the device retains the canal resonance parameters, but doesn’t try to jump all over any potential feedback signal.

Its a bit counterintuitive, but once you have done it, the aid will settle down.

As as for not knowing how to use Target, that’s inexcusable.

I think whistle block is on by default and program specific in most programs.

You mention sudden damage. If that is military related, the VA will provide aids at no charge.