New to Hearing Aids and have issues

Thanks Neville. I keep forgetting you’re in Canada. Maybe you could put up the flag in your profile that would appear under your id. :slight_smile:

That is great information. Duly noted. Apparently I just assumed.

I think the sign-up page had/has a bug on whether you come in as linkedin or straight in. The linkedin went registered provider without asking.
Something like that. I don’t know if it ever got fixed.

Curious how much training audiologists get in fitting hearing aids in school?

Hmm. It varies. We had at least one course dedicated to it, and a many that touched on it. And then additional to that we have various mentorships where we work under the supervision of an established audiologist. The university tries to make those as broad as they can, but if one student ends up doing more of their mentorships in an ENT clinic, for example, they may end up with a lot less fitting experience (and a lot more assessment experience) than another student. And then, like in all classes, some students are keener than others–some come in to the program with other post-graduate degrees already under their belts. There were those of us who stayed behind, did extra work, did more self-study and ended up with more experience. And as in any other field, there are some people for whom working with a computer is pretty natural and others for whom it isn’t. (I’m always a bit taken aback by practitioners who say they “can’t fit” a particular manufacturer’s hearing aids–if you know how to navigate through software generally it all seems quite similar to me. Some manufacturers hide options in annoying places, but you just need to know how to look…)

But let me add that people tend to dismiss the value of the undergraduate degree that peceeds the masters. I would disagree with that. An undergraduate counts for a lot. Again, how much it counts for will vary by how much the student put into it, but there is a reasonably high bar to get into a Canadian audiology program–there aren’t that many and they are small programs. You can probably assume that all Canadian audiologists were A students in their undergraduate degree.

I have an easy rule - water & sweat are kryptonite! That might help you remember to take them off when encountering those.

As for feeling old, I consider HAs to be just like glasses. Lots of people augment their sight from a young age, why not augment your hearing?

Thanks for thoughtful answer. Regarding undergrad education. I think what I’m hearing is that since getting into audiology programs is pretty competitive, undergrad tends to filter out all but very strong candidates. I think we often underestimate the importance of the “person” compared to the title. I’m a retired RN from a bachelor’s degree program, but I’ve with worked with nurses with various degrees of preparation and who they are was more important than their education. Willingness to work hard, prioritize well, have a sense of curiosity and use good judgement are hard things to teach.

I’ve gotten really great service in British Columbia from Hearing Instrument Practitioners, i.e. people who have as little as two years of formal education. And I’ve gotten crappy service from actual audiologists.

I really think a lot of the skill in hearing aid dispensing comes down to sensitivity, commitment, and caring. I’ve had a couple of very interesting conversations with HIP’s about their work. It sounds like a great deal of it is listening to people and figuring out what they need.

LOL. I might be wrong, but I’m of the opinion that being able to hear makes you more appealing than maybe looking a few years younger. I just don’t let it bother me. I also always get aids that are whatever colour is the most striking.

There is a definite learning curve.

You didn’t lose your hearing overnight. Having it “corrected/fixed” overnight takes some getting used to.

The first time I put in a hearing aid, I could hear speech like I hadn’t heard in decades. But the audiologist noticed a frown and asked why. I said, doc - I get it. I’ve got an amplifier in my ear and I’ll have to get used to hearing white noise as the price I pay. He asked for more details, very concerned. Then he had an “AH HA!” and walked across his office and turned off his desk fan. “White noise” went away. It was simply me hearing a sound I hadn’t heard in decades…

I believe it is one year replacement for loss and two years warranty.

I have the K7s and they are very nice. Since I am old, and not exactly vain, I could care less how I appear. I work with 30+ school drivers and most of them had no idea that I use HAs until I purchased a Blue Tooth necklace that hangs around my neck. It is very handy. I can turn the volume up or down w/o messing with the little bitty buttons on my HAs. I can take phone calls on it and I can also listen to any radio station in the USA on iHeart radio. Folks would ask me what that thing was on my chest and I could either mess with them and say it was the latest in defibrillators or just explain it’s true use. They are usually blown away when I tell them. The Kirklands also support a phone app in which you can choose volume / tone / program / coverage from about 20 degrees front all the way to full coverage 360 degrees.

Costco is not a brick and mortar audio biz. The employees are quite friendly and helpful. I don’t think they work on commision. They do not push more expensive units but have a good selection from which to choose. I have no issues with these seventeen hundred dollar little beauties and whenever I wish to have them cleaned while shopping they get right on it for no charge. BTW, I have a retirement reimbursement health account from a former employer that is good annually for just over fifteen hundred dollars. That means I can get a spanking new in the box set of HAs for a couple of hundred bucks. I say spanking NIB because I would never think of purchasing a used set of HAs on the internet that had been sitting in someone’s ear for God knows how long. YUK!

Such a deal. I’m glad that Costco has this offering. BTW, if you use the Costco card, which I presume you must anyway, you get two percent back like all purchases.

I have a close relative who’s last HA purchase was around ten thousand dollars. Next step would be about four times that - implant.

If one needs them, get them! Doesn’t matter how much they cost or where you purchase them, but hearing loss does tricky things to the brain that progress long term, not to mention sitting in meetings where one is a wallflower.

p.s. my Kirklands are claimed to be water ‘resistant’ but I wouldn’t push it.