New to Hearing Aids and have issues

Please give honest opinions.

1…I have had hearing aids for 2 weeks.

2…wore them in the shower once. (they survived)

3…they fell out of the case while on a bike ride. (found them 24 hrs later on a sidewalk, with no damage.

4…got caught in rain while walking , put them in pocket. (they survived)

5…I get a lot of wind buffering while bike riding and in my convertible with top down.
6…I cant hear tv much better then before i had them.

7…they make me look old

Should I just give up on hearing aids? these are Kirkland 7

4-6 weeks are needed to adjust to aids – occasionally more. And that is wearing them all day.

You will need adjustments as it progresses. Keep notes of problem areas.

Hopefully, you’ll care for the aids better naturally.

Wind is a problem. There are product you can cover the aids with to minimize it. Much like the muff you see on reporters microphones.

You are old according to people younger and getting older. Congratulations. Beats the heck out of the alternative. :slight_smile:

Post your audiogram for better help.

Ok, I’ll only comment on items 1 through 7; especially 7.
My opinion is you are grasping at reasons (excuses?) to give them up and I am guessing you caved to peer and family pressure to get aids.

Nothing could support my opinion more, than number 7.
I saw a lad in daycare the other day. He was maybe 5 years old. He had Borg like gadgets attached to each side of his head. No one seemed to notice.

My aids are bright burgundy to match my motorcycle. People see them better, get the idea I might have a hearing issue and generally act respectfully. But then, I AM old.

Just being honest.

Between getting them wet and dropping them, you sound like a good candidate for Ear Gear hearing aid covers.

As an extra benefit, they will cut down the wind noise.

They only make you look old in your own mind. Most other people will never notice until you point it out.

Never give up! It’s a learning curve to adjust. Hearing aids no longer (in my opinion) Carry the stigma they once did. Observe in your travels how many people are benefiting from this advanced technology. You probably never even noticed until you started to wear them yourself. What made me “feel” old was having to keep asking for repeats or being left out of a conversation because I could not read the lips or follow facial expressions. A bump on a log! HAs restored my ability to participate in life, I really do not care that someone else may think I look old, it’s more important to me to not “feel” old and being able to chime in! Best wishes in your new journey, never give up!

My own feeling is you aren’t ready for HA’s and may never be. It sounds like you find more reasons to not wear them, than to have them in your ears. If you’re serious about wearing the HA’s get some EarGear or HA Sweat Bands and put them over the HA’s and wear them, it will keep sweat from getting to them and help with wind buffering or driving your car. I know people of all ages who wear HA’s and the only thing that appears to me is they are willing to address their hearing problems. HA’s don’t make you look old, time does that to all of us who are lucky enough to get there!

That’s a lot of money for hearing aid condoms. :rofl::joy:

I told my granddaughter that my hearing aids have yoga pants. :wink:

No. 2 -4: Yes, HAs are more robust than you probably expected. You will get used to removing them when you swim. bathe, go to bed, etc.

No. 5: You will get used to muting or removing them in high wind situations. Not much of a compromise because people with good hearing find it difficult to converse in these environments.

No. 6: This is odd. If you can hear your TV with the same volume setting just as well with and without HAs, either they aren’t adjusted right or you don’t need HAs. You didn’t post audiogram, so hard to tell.

No. 7: If you do have a significant hearing disability, then I can guarantee you that the social stigma associated with not being able to hear conversations clearly (and asking people to repeat, pretending to hear when you can’t, giving bizarre answers to questions you didn’t understand. etc.) is much greater than the social stigma associated with people noticing that you have some thingies in your ears.

Is there anything good about them?
What situations were you having problems with? Why did you get them?
If the main issue was TV, hearing aids alone are seldom the solution and if TV is the only issue, there are much cheaper approaches. Even though I’ve got hearing aids, I still prefer TV Ears for TV.

Why did you get hearing aids in the first place? I don’t mean to sound sarcastic at all. How bad is your hearing loss and what were your expectations for hearing aids?

Two possible helps with biking. First is to make sure the wind reduction function is turned on for at least one of your programs, and use that when biking. Secondly, if it isn’t too hot where you live, wear some sort of thin headband or in winter a thin balaclava under your helmet. You just need to get one layer of something to cover your ears and the wind sounds will be greatly diminished.

No being old makes you look old, so there’s that.
Two whole weeks…If you see it as an obstacle it probably is insurmountable.
Kirkland? As in Costco?
Find a real Audiologist and return the Aids back to Costco. There are some real gamechanging Aids that you will not find at Costco as the ones they sell are the very low end technology made just for them.
Phonak does have some kickass Aids that will blow you away, just not the ones they make for Costco. An Audiologist is what you need for a proper fitting and you will not find a competent one at Costco.

Kirkland? As in Costco?
Find a real Audiologist and return the Aids back to Costco. There are some real gamechanging Aids that you will not find at Costco as the ones they sell are the very low end technology made just for them.
Phonak does have some kickass Aids that will blow you away, just not the ones they make for Costco. An Audiologist is what you need for a proper fitting and you will not find a competent one at Costco.<

Your remarks are replete with generalizations unsupported by citing of any reliable resources or studies. You wouldn’t happen to be an independent hearing aid dealer or work for one, would you? If so, it’s probably just a coincidence.

NateS ,
you read to much into stuff! im just a guy who happens to have hearing aid issues. Have you always been like this?

I think NateS was referring to criticisms of Costco audiologists and aids.

Costco does NOT sell “very low end”. They sell top level name brands and they sell re-branded top level name brands. This is a misnomer (read: lie) that company stores and independents like to propagate.
What Costco does is remove some features (in particular tinnitus options) and maybe some depth of adjustments. All to keep the cost down a little. Tinnitus options offered by many of the manufacturers have not been proven. Sure…lots of anecdotal reports…but not scientific backing.
I would agree that the best person would be a doctor of audiology. Fitters make up the vast majority of HA providers though. Fitters are not necessarily doctors of audiology.

@dennisoates: As pters has said…watch for the little reply symbol at the upper right area of a reply. If there isn’t one then it’s assumed that the reply is a reply to the post immediately above. Or a reply could choose to “address” the person and maybe include a quote of their post all for clarity.

Look on the positive side - at least you were able to forget they are there long enough to hop in the shower with them in. It took me over a year to do that! :grinning:
Check your Costco terms and conditions - they may have insurance to cover accidental loss. You may need it one day.
You will look much older cupping your ear all the time so don’t give up.

We get it. Nobody wants to have to wear hearing aids. Here’s something nobody’s mentioned yet. Unless they finally find a treatment for hearing loss (possible but not to banked on imo), your hearing is not going to get better. Your ability to understand speech (distinct from actually hearing speech) gradually deteriorates. Finally, if your hearing aid retailer really wants to scare you, they’ll casually mention the link between hearing loss and dementia later in life. A bit of an investment in your future perhaps? You get a nice long trial period with Costco anyway, do you not? Keep with it.

My understanding of TV didn’t improved until I started streaming it to my HAs (KS6’s with an add-on to stream TV). Made all the difference in the world for me – a 20-year HA user.

You sound a lot like me. Except for mistreating your aids, that is. I paid way less than retail for mine and still treat them like they were diamonds. I have to wonder just why you got them in the first place. Did you feel you needed them, or was it outside pressure? I have had mine going on a year and the most I have been able to stand wearing them was about two days running. Everyone says you will get used to them. In my case, I don’t think so. I do hope your case is different. There is simply no other way you will ever hear better than using aids. Like you, I have a problem understanding TV, and people too, for that matter. And. like you, I can’t see that my aids have really helped my problems either. I have to agree with everyone else about them making you look old. That is all in your mind and you will just have to get over it. I am old and so I don’t really care how they make me look. In spite of me not taking my own advice, you really need to stick with them. If, after a while, you don’t feel that they are helping, go back where you got them and let them know. And don’t be “wishy washy” about doing it either. You paid good money for these things and you deserve to get the benefits promised.