New Starkey Series 3 i90 Great!`

I’m using 312 batteries in both my sets of hearing aids. I used to have a set that used 13 batteries, but I got rid of them.

312’s will last on average about 10 days.

Not for me. I get about 6 days on either of my pair of aids that takes the 312’s with use at about 15-16 hours a day.

Caveat here:

There are two major factors in the battery drain that will considerably alter the life per cell.

1. Feedback manager - open up the canal more with an open dome and it feels better, but the battery will take a hammering from all the active cancelling work that the aid is doing.

2. Wireless comms, the more time spent streaming sounds would have traditionally meant that you were using an remote device. These days, the aids could just be streaming a signal to each other. The extreme of this case is of course the CROS units that so nothing but stream and last 2-3 days on a 312.

If you have venture capital to spend at the moment: I’d look at chucking it into somebody developing high density polymer batteries. As for hearing aids, the bulkiest amount of material is the case, I’m sure there’s a development engineer out there who could achieve a p.d. across that by isolating each half/or putting a thin foil separation into the sides and creating a capacitor that will hold 1-2 volts for 24 hours before it can be dropped onto an inductive charging mat.

There are many other factors that determine how long your 312 batteries will last. A couple that have not been mentioned yet are how much gain and over what frequency range the gain is needed. If you only need a little help at the higher frequencies, you would need the lower output receiver (used to be 40dB, now 50dB) and your current drain would be close to the idle current for the HA. If you require a lot of help over an extended frequency range, you would need a higher power receiver (60 or 70dB) and the current drain would increase substantially. For example, for the exact same RIC312 Wi 110’s the current per Starkey’s specifications ranges from 1.5mA for the 40dB rcvr to 2.0mA for the 70dB rcvr. This is a 33% increase. Starkey rates the battery life of the first case to 6-8 days, but for the second case only 3-6 days. I’m only talking about Starkey here, but other manufacturer’s aids would behave similarly.

Throw in how many hrs/day you use your aids and the other factors and you can expect users to report some wildly different battery lives.

I have a question about battery life, as I was reading another long thread about tests of various batteries.

Unlike other hearing aids in past, these seem to have a longer battery life, although I have not logged the number of days. But I have found when I get the low battery signal and change to new batteries, I notice a big improvement in sound level and quality. When discussing this with my wife she tells me my hearing and calls for repeats of her comments have been awful in last couple of days before changing.

I am going in for another adjustment and am wondering if the threshold on when you get the low battery can be changed a bit so I get it sooner? Guess I need to log the times I change batteries and move up the days for change a couple of days.

I am using these now but seems to still be a work in progress. I like the better quality of sound but still have a problem in not enough volume.

One minor mod I made was with wax traps. They seem to get stopped up a lot so I just took a needle and poked a hole in the middle and clean it with a needle every day. This makes the opening the same as my Phonaks as they come with a single hole.

One easy way to track battery life is to put the used tab on a calendar, with the handle on the right for R. If hours gets significant, you can use a planner.