New Starkey Product: Zon

Here is a teaser web site for a new open fit product from Starkey.

This was the instrument that was originally to be called the Wave, but had to be renamed due to International trademark issues.

http://www.zonhearingaids.com/

I also heard today that there’s some new OS software due out within the next month or so that will expand upon many of the features of the Destiny line.

For those who are keeping count, this product will probably give Starkey more open fit products than any other manufacturer:

CIC Open Fit - Destiny 400, 800, 1200, 1600
OTE (Mini BTE) Destiny 1200
OTE DSD (Mini BTE - Directional) - Destiny 1200
RIC (Mini BTE - Receiver In Canal - Directional and Multi Memory) Destiny 400, 800, 1200
BTE (With open fit adapter) - Destiny 200, 400, 800, 1200, 1600
ZON (Details TBA)
OTE (Mini BTE) Hearstic EC3
OTE (Mini BTE) Hearstic STD

By my count that’s 17 different ways of getting open fit technology from Starkey. Anyone beat that?

(Updated - I remembered two more open products)

I think phonak and Oticon has as many products as those…

Also Siemens Port. of products (open fit) is very extensive…

what is bluewave?

Do you know what technology did Starkey licence from Cebotek?

Are they copying their products? I could swear that hearing aid

look so much like widex.

Bluewave is a magic component to the hearing aid that magically restores perfect hearing, and vision. The wearer also becomes immortal and bizarrely lucky. :stuck_out_tongue:

List them then. Let’s see if you can hit 15.

BIASED :
Lets take GN resound for example:

This are more less the products open fit technology:

Dot Family
Dot 3060
Dot 2060
Dot 1060

Pulse Family
Pulse 10a PS 60
Pulse 312 Ps60
Pulse Crt (receiver in the canal)

Pulse LT
Pulse Lt 10a
Pulse LT 312
Pulse Lt CRT (reciver in the canal)

Resound Air
Resound Air air60
Resound Air 60+

Azure:
Azure Az60-D Mini Bte
Azure 270-D

Metriz :
Metriz Mx-70-d
Metriz Mx60-D

Pixel:
Pixel PL70D
Pixel PL60D

Plus 5:
RP 70D
RP 60D

there is more, the canta 7 family the Canta 4 and the canta 2

Again: Just GN has 8 family of products with open fit products…

Another example 11 product families with open fit products…

From Oticon:

Delta: Receiver in the canal
Delta 4000
Delta 6000
Delta 8000

Epoq W: Receiver in the canal + open fit + Cic Open fit
Epoq Rite
Epoq CIC

Epoq XW:
Epoq Rite
Epoq CIC

Epoq V
Epoq W
Epoq CIC

Vigo And Vigo:
Vigo Rite
Vigo Cic

Sincro:
Sicro Bte (thin tubing)
Sincro CIC

Adapto:
Adapto CiC
Apapto Bte

Safran:
Safran Bte
Safran CIC

Tego And tego Pro:
Same

GO pro:
the Same

Atlas plus:
Atlas plus Bte

So again, having a family of 15 products is nothing out of the ordinary
I suspect Phonak has even more…

From Phonak families with open fit products (admin Please correct):

Savia Art: thin tubing and Crt and mini bte and Open fit CIC

Audeo IX, V, etc All Crt

Savia: Same as savia art

Eleva: Same as savia art

Extra: Micro Bte,

Una : Open fit instrument

Vale: Mini Valeo mini bte open fit

this is what Phonak can offer, again it is extensive…

Not meaning to ‘dis’ your product selection here. But according to the Resound own web site only ONE of the product families is indicated for “Shopping / Public Places.”

It’s all well and good having tons of aids, but seriously, how many patients go to public places? All mine do.

According to Resound literature only the Azure is recommended when in public.

http://www.gnresound.com/pdf/lifeQuest.pdf

xbulder, I appreciate you taking the time to show me the range of the imports that you seem to like. The one thing I am genuinely curious about is the need for so many products. With Starkey, there are 17, as my earlier post indicated. But all of them except the Hearstic use the same cutting edge core technology.

As someone with a lot more current knowlege of the foriegn brands, could you explain why there is a need to have so many different platforms? Because I genuinely don’t understand it. Starkey introduced the nFusion technology in 2006, and has been able to base pretty much everything on that technology platform, merely offering different abilities to create the different models.

Starkey used to have lots of different platforms like the imports you mentioned, and dropped this in favor of a more versitile platform that could be deployed in a number of different ways.

At the core, what are the essential differences between say an Azure and a Dot. Is it the same chip, controlled differently by software? Or is it litterally a different technology for each product family.

My final question is how the volitile US Dollar has affected the cost of foreign hearing aids?

Actually, I have another question. I am primarily a Starkey fitter (as you know). If I had the option to offer one other brand, which do you think I should offer? Keep in mind I really don’t like Siemens and Phonak, and I like good quality, as opposed to cheap.

Thanks in advance for the info.

So. You’re the one who started this Open Fit thread. You didn’t start an Open Fit good in public places thread.

Puhleeze. Do we really need a “Mine’s Bigger” contest on this board? :o

I started this thread to inform people of a new product launch from a major manufacturer. I was genuinely impressed by the 17 different systems now available from my favorite manufacturer.

However for some reason there are a number of people who seem to like to trash domestic brands in favor of foreign imports. So the discussion had turned into some genuine questions that I have for these people. I’ve not fitted Resound or Oticon in 8 years, so I want to understand what I am missing out on.

As for my comments here, this isn’t “Mine’s Bigger,” although thanks for judging. I am questioning why a hearing aid company would make a dozen aids that in their own estimation are not suitable for being in public places or shopping. Seriously? What the heck? What use is there for such an aid in this day and age?

If you don’t like a genuine interested discussion about technology, respectfully, don’t read it. I am curious for some answers here. Last time I checked this was a forum for discussing hearing aids.

Hi ZCT and xbulder

I think that brochure gives us some interesting insight into the mindset of the marketing folks at ReSound. I can’t believe that anyone seriously believes that none of those other aids are “suitable” for use in public areas. ReSound is trying to push their top of the line instrument, and chose a pretty clumsy way of going about it. Is the Azure better in noisy environments than those other models? Almost certainly. Will those other models provide some benefit in noisy situations? Again, almost certainly. It’s marketing. Look at any other hearing aid manufacturer, and you’ll see the same thing, just done with a little more subtlety. Don’t forget that many people will make decisions based on the name, or the style or the color, not necessarily on the features. Besides, “more is better”. It’s the American way! :smiley:

Dag

I fit Oticon, ReSound and Starkey regularly and feel there are good products from all of them (or else I wouldn’t fit them!). I don’t think there is any one manufacturer who is definitely better than the others. I tend to move from company to company depending on what products they are currently selling and how well these products work in the real world. That’s why I appreciate getting feedback from hearing aid users on what is really working (or not working) for them.

I wasn’t judging, I was reading. Glad that you can take the high road now, but you were the one who issued the challenge with your “Anyone beat that?” sentence. I can’t say that I’ve seen anyone “trash” any brand on this board. But it looks like in that “public place” post in a back-handed way you were trashing ReSound. The knife cuts both ways, ZCT.

Let’s leave it to a genuine discussion on technology of hearing aids. Or let’s have a discussion about marketing of hearing aids. Whatever, I’m game.

And maybe I used a poor choice of words in my earlier post. I like the cordial, professional nature of this board, and prefer not to see that deteriorate. The way I was reading it, it looked to me like the thread was headed in an unhelpful direction, and perhaps reacted inappropriately. And your “Anyone beat that” sentence in your original post sure sounds like you were trying to take it to a… I won’t use the phrase again. :stuck_out_tongue:

And if anyone comes across as trashing other products, I have to say by my read it’s you. I started posting in September of 2007, when you stopped. We were going merrily along having our discussions, until last month when you started posting again, in a manner that took me aback a bit wondering who you were. Now I know, and have learned a lot, but could do without the heavy bias toward Starkey.

Well, some of the products are old products, some GN do not even sold them in the US, but are sold else where… There is a Price issue I guess…

Given the choice, I would fit an Azure every time I could but there is always
budget constrains…

You are right in that azure and dot are almost identical products…

A question that I had never had an answer

Is what is Nfusion? what is the benefit for the client? What is so different from what is out there? - I had ask this questions tons of time, even to a starkey rep and could not get an straight answer, maybe you could know

Regarding brands, If you dont like Siemens and phonak- there is not much left
other than Oticon and GN… main difference - GN will always be cheaper- It is made in china while oticon is made in Poland…

Software wise… I prefer Genie any day than aventa - Aventa still needs work…

While I do not dispense Phonak- I would acknoledge they have 1) the best FM solutions out there 2) the best remote controls 3) very good fitting software and good products…

What do you like dislike about their fitting software…?

I dont like so much Aventa

Great question, if we want to take this thread into a marketing discussion. I read about it, and as a user couldn’t figure out what it meant. Maybe that’s Starkey’s “public places secret sauce” to go along with Bluewave. :smiley:

I dont want to be sarcastic, I had ask this question a lot. Never get an answer

Hi jay_man2 and xbulder

Looking at the Starkey nFusion Web site, they say:

nFUSION AT A GLANCE
> A powerful and flexible open architecture integrated circuit.
> Research-based algorithms for activation of advanced features that learn.
> Bi-synchronous communication between hardware and software that ensures continuous improvement in the patient’s outcome.

Also:

“Built upon the quantum power of nFusion, this is the very smartest personal audio system currently available. A dynamic hearing instrument that actually learns and software that makes fitting faster and more accurate – enhancing the patient-practitioner relationship and resulting in a better outcome, every time.”

So nFusion is really a description of the hearing aid “system”. It’s the combination of the hardware chip they use, the Starkey proprietary audio processing algorithms (the DSP), the way the chip manages the changing audio environments, changes the signal processing as needed and remembers previous changes. It also includes the fitting software. It’s the whole enchilada. Bottom line: it’s a marketing term. :slight_smile:

I’m looking at:

http://www.starkeynfusion.com/

Dag