New smartphone chips supporting Bluetooth 5.2?

Just ran across this: 4G isn't dead yet: Qualcomm unveils LTE-versions of its midrange Snapdragon chips - CNET

In it it mentions supporting BT 5.2. I don’t see anything on Quallcom’s site, but it does mention “True Wireless Stereo” On Wiki’s site comparing Quallcom’s chips, it mentions BT 5.1 and I also saw mention of 5.1 on Quallcom’s site. @d_Wooluf or anybody else have any idea if this will really be BT5.2?

1 Like

Hey. I’m just Googler-in-Chief. If they say it is, I see no reason to doubt them. It was obvious that semi-conductor manufacturers had been tracking development of the spec and had demo units to go at CES on day 1. My understanding: Bluetooth 5.2 provides isochronous channels which is required for LE Audio, but it’s not LE Audio itself. Whether a phone you buy tomorrow with a chip that supports BT 5.2 will also support LE Audio when it comes out I don’t know. I kind of doubt it. I think you’d want encoding/decoding done in hardware for maximum efficiency and I don’t think that can happen until the final LE Audio specs are ratified.

1 Like

I don’t think any phones using these chips are available yet. They still call it BT 5.1 on Quallcom’s site, but 5.2 in the article. Quallcom also supports the true wirelless stereo which I wonder if that’s LE audio?

One of the improvements that LE Audio will bring is multiple audio channels which includes true wireless stereo functionality. I believe true wireless stereo exists now courtesy of proprietary solutions. I think that’s what Qualcom are talking about. They have a chipset that enables tws, but you need to have the right headset paired to the right phone for the magic to happen. A bit like the iphone and mfi hearing aids.

1 Like

I found this article fairly easy to understand. My take is that one will need Bluetooth 5.2 to take advantage of LC3 Codec. What is LE Audio and LC3, the latest in Bluetooth audio? - SoundGuys

1 Like

Yes. 5.2 brings isochronous channels which is a foundation of LE Audio. I found the YouTube video linked to in the article pretty good as well.

1 Like

5.2 changes explained: https://www.bluetooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Bluetooth_5.2_Feature_Overview.pdf

I won’t pretend I understand more than 10% of it.

The main takeaway for me is that isochronous channels is a transport protocol that ensures that ‘time-bounded’ data is rendered by multiple targets at the same time.

Quote:
LE Isochronous communication was primarily designed for use in audio products and systems. It
provides the means by which audio, delivered from a source to multiple sinks, can be rendered at the
same time, for properly synchronized playback. Audio, which for some reason is delayed after being
generated at the source, expires and is discarded so that it does not affect the listening experience at
the sink(s).

New use cases, new topologies, and, ultimately, new product types will be possible with the
new Bluetooth LE isochronous channels feature. The use of Bluetooth LE for audio is called
LE Audio.

2 Likes