New ReSound "The Dot"

The new ReSound “The Dot BTE” is suppost to released this month. Any information on it? It is probably a watered down version of the new Azure, I would think.

it is an identical version of the MARQ (beltone)…

I dont think it will be a drop down version of the azure

Looks like three priced models Dot 10, Dot 20, and Dot 30.
More info from the web site.

dot™ by ReSound
Product Information
Product Description
We’ve taken the best technology and packaged
it into the smallest hearing instrument
ever. Previous micro-BTEs compromised on
performance in order to deliver on cosmetics.
dot by ReSound is the fi rst instrument that
provides all the benefi ts of a full-size model in
the smallest housing available today.
dot by ReSound offers more gain on a patient’s
ear than any other receiver-in-the-ear
hearing instrument. More real gain means
more patients can benefi t. At the same time
ReSound’s proprietary technologies ensure
maximum patient satisfaction from the moment
it is fi rst fi t.
Standard Confi guration
• Size 10A battery
• Battery door with integrated on/off switch
• Receivers and domes in different sizes
• Fourteen color options
Fitting Requirements
• Aventa fi tting software (2.5 or higher)
• CS53 FlexStrip programming cable
• Speedlink, HI-PRO™ or NOAHlink™ interface
(Speedlink recommended)
Fitting Range
Key Features
17-Band Warp™ sound processing
9-Band Warp™ sound processing
Gain handles in Aventa 9 7 6
Dual Stabilizer™ II DFS
feedback cancellation
Open fi tting
Environmental Optimizer™
Natural Directionality™
MultiScope Adaptive Directionality™
Adaptive directionality
SoftSwitching™ automatic program
NoiseTracker™ II noise reduction
NoiseTracker™ noise reduction
Acceptance Manager
EchoStop™
WindRush Manager™
Onboard Analyzer™ DataLogging
Shared Key Technologies:
Dual microphone technology
Integrated Microphone Matching™
Low-level expansion
SmartStart™
Low battery warning indicator
DT3060/DT2060/DT1060
(dot30/dot20/dot10)
dot30 dot20 dot10
Ultimate
Advanced
Basic
Standard
Open dome
Tulip-Dome
Custom mold
250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
Frequency

Size smallest in the industry; no one will notice it on the ear
Natural Directionality™ provides the unrivaled combination of maximum speech clarity while maintaining full peripheral awareness
Environmental Optimizer™ allows independent adjustment in up to 7 specific environments
17-Band Warp™ sound processing mimics the function of the human cochlea to deliver high resolution sound processing quality across all frequencies (may vary in select models)
MultiScope Adaptive Directionality™ advanced directional microphone system with 3 different beam-width options for greater comfort and speech clarity (varies by model):
Acceptance Manager gradual adaptation of gain levels over a period up to two months provides increased patient comfort and higher initial acceptance rates due to the elimination of sudden amplification adjustments
Dual Stabilizer™ II DFS proprietary algorithm ensures the maximum benefit possible from the hearing instrument without feedback; whistle-free
NoiseTracker™ identifies unwanted background noise and uses ReSound’s proprietary spectral subtraction technology to reduce it without compromising speech understanding (varies by model)
EchoStop™ effective reduction of room reverberation and body sound reflections; reduced echo
Windrush Manager™ wind noise suppression, allowing for undisturbed and unhindered outdoor activities

dot™ by ReSound is a smart, tiny hearing instrument.
It is so small, nobody else will notice you are wearing dot. It virtually disappears on the ear. dot’s unique ergonomic design also makes it lightweight and comfortable.
While dot is amazingly small, it also offers high tech performance to meet individual needs. It features automatic programming, so it is at home in any environment and requires no manual adjustments. dot offers personalized technology, like Onboard Analyzer™ II DataLogging, to deliver better hearing in the most difficult listening situations. Plus, dot features Dual Stabilizer™ II, a feedback cancellation system which effectively diminishes any whistling.
http://www.gnresound.com/pro-dot.html

i like natural directionaly im wonder how long would it take for other comapnies to copy this good idea…

Envoiromental optimizer is also a very good thing…

finaly resound is getting enought products in the pipeline to turn the company

around… i check their finances and they are not doing that good but it is

something they could turn around

I’ve been wearing the GN Resound Pulse for a while now, and tried the Azure a while back. I liked the sound quality and natural directionality of the Azure, but decided to stay with the Pulse for other reasons.

Lately, I’ve been reading whatever I could find on the dot, particularly the dot 30, and this morning ordered a pair from precisehearing.com. I’d ordered tubes and domes from them in the past for my Pulse aids. I faxed them some questions and my audiogram, spoke with a gentleman named John who answered all my questions, and decided to place the order. The aids were $1495 each, plus $20 shipping. I know that’s at least $2400 less than buying them locally, and I have my Pulse aids as a backup if I need to have the programming tweaked.

I’ll update you when they come in, recap my experiences with the Pulse, Azure and dot, and hopefully provide some insight into dealing with precisehearing.com.

Additionally, I discovered during the conversation with John that he’s a wearer also, and has been wearing the dot 30 for a week. He told me that he had been wearing the Metrix, and the only thing they’d discovered so far about the dot 30 was that the receiver tube seemed to be slightly shorter in the dot 30 than a similar thin tube for the Metrix or Pulse. I already wear the longest tube, a 3A, and it’s not too short by any means, so I think that’ll be fine. He also uses tulip domes to boost the low frequencies. I use tulip domes, as the audie who sold me the Pulse aids used them for feedback control. The aids will arrive with several domes, so I’ll get a chance to see hear the difference between a tulip dome and regular open dome.

Hi Jayman2:
Thanks for all the information about Resound excellent products. I have been wearing Beltone analog programmable CSP-II for ten years. It is the best hearing aid I can get so far. However, Beltone has discontinued producing it since Dec of 2005. Hopefully I can get something to replace it. Please keep us inform about your experience about Dot.

Appreciate

Paul

The dot 30s arrived today by Express Mail, just before noon. I’ve been wearing them just two hours, and so far, so good. I’m using size 3 receiver tubes and tulip domes. The receiver tube is a slight bit shorter than the thin tube with my Pulse aids, but does seem to fit a bit better. And I thought the Pulse aids (312 battery) were small. These dot 30s (10 battery) are tiny!

Already I can tell that the natural directionality that I liked with the Azure is working with the aids. And Precise Hearing (www.precisehearing.com) has been excellent to do business with.

is anyone here dispenses the resound dot? just want to know whether there is a noticeable difference between dot 10 and 20, because with delta 4000 and 6000, i heard more complaints about the delta 4000.
how’s the sound quality for dot 10? (can’t afford dot 30)

thank u.

they are different instruments…
if your loss is with in the fitting range of the delta…
you should be fine…

thanks for your reply, xbulder :slight_smile:

i’m going to have dot 10 soon.

I haven’t worn and actually compared a dot 10 and a dot 20 in my ears, but having looked at the dot series specifications extensively over the last week, I don’t know that someone could hear a difference between the two.

The dot 10 looks to be an enhanced feature, slimmed case version of the Pulse or Pulse-CRT. The dot 20 adds a couple of tech features, but who knows how they affect the sound quality. The dot 30 adds natural directionality, making it like a de-featured, slimmed down version of the Azure.

I’m anxious to see another post about your experience with the dot 10. Good luck with it!

i’ve been wearing the dot 10 for 2 days now.

everything’s fine, went to my audi for a few adjustments…

i think what others said is right, it is important to have an audi with experience, patient and enthusiasm so that you can get the maximum benefit out of ur (probably expensive) hearing aids.
i like my audi,she didn’t push me to purchase one hearing aids over the other, and willing to find out more about the features of the hearing aids.

I’ve been wearing the dot 30’s for a week now, and everything’s fine so far. I’m using tulip domes. I tried 5 mm open domes, and they were too small; the receivers would back themselves out of my ears. I did contact precisehearing.com and asked them to send me the 7 and 10 mm open domes to try. I should have those is a few days.

I also, just from pure curiosity, asked them to pull up my programming and let me know which ear is the focus ear and which is the monitor ear for the natural directionality, and what the initial setting was for the Acceptance Manager. I’m waiting a response by email on those questions.

And I must say that the tiny size of these aids makes them even more comfortable that the Pulse’s with 312 battery that I was wearing, and it was very comfortable. :stuck_out_tongue:

I received the 7 and 10 mm domes in the mail today, with a note that the focus ear is the right, and monitor is the left, which is what I suspected. They also noted that the Acceptance Manager was set to 3 weeks, 8 hours per day (the default, of course) which I suspected as well. As an experienced wearer, they could have set the Acceptance Manager to a more aggressive schedule; but at least I know what it was set to, and understand why they sound a little better every few days.

I pulled the tulip domes and sports locks off, and am now trying the 7 mm open domes. So far, so good. Even more comfortable and “open,” I kust hope they stay in place as I go through the day wiggling my ears, eating, smiling, frowning etc. etc.:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s been two weeks, and I’m liking these dot 30s from precisehearing.com. I’m using the 7 mm open dome, but put the sports locks back on today. When I work from home most of the work is by email, or listening to conference calls. Today, I was in the office, and talking more. The 7 mm open domes, like the tulip domes, seemed back out of my ear more without the sports lock (ear grip as xbulder calls it).

As time passes and the Acceptance Manager does its thing, moving closer to the “final” settings for my loss, I’m happy with the initial programming. And I like the fit and feel of these tiny things.

I was at my audiologist today getting some new tubes for my Azures and he showed me a pair of GN Resound Dots that he just received for a customer. I can’t believe how tiny those aids are. I was totally impressed. The Dots are definitely the smallest mini BTEs I’ve ever seen. Even smaller than the Phonak Audeo. The only downside I can see is that you only get one program with the Dots and this makes it a showstopper for me. I really like having a couple of different programs that I can switch to depending on what I’m doing. I would certainly consider these aids if they had one extra program. I think the Phonak Audeo has 9 programs but you need a remote control to change which is a bit of a pain.

Just wondered how you are managing with just the single program on the DOTs? I really think its handy to have a second program with extra noise reduction for very noisy places like restaurants.

Jordan.

Very timely question. In the last few days I’ve had the opportunity to be in difficult environments, twice in noisy restaurants, and just today in a large conference room at work with 100+ people in the room all talking before the formal meeting.

I was really impressed with these aids. They did everything I hoped they would. They are programmed for 7 listening environments, and seem to switch between the listening environments seamlessly. I could hear people talking to me just fine, while they had to strain to hear, and I could hear conversations behind me very well, too. The Azure has 4 listening environments (programs) that you can switch to manually.

I was hoping that the dot 30 was a blend of the best features of the Pulse and Azure, and so far that appears to be the case.:smiley:

I want the aids to do the work, and don’t want the hassle of switching from normal to restaurant to music; these dot 30s do what I want!

Thanks for your response. I had another question…

What are your thought/experiences regarding having the speaker right in your ear vs. having a sound tube relay the sound from the mini BTE to your ear? Does it sound any different vs. the Azures or the Pulses?

The new mini hearing aids seem to be moving to the RIC technology and I’m still unclear as to the advantages. I’m thinking that the RIC lets you keep the unit small, the power down and maybe reduces feedback but the downside is that you now have an important part of the hearing aid exposed to more moisture/wax, etc. My audiologist says you can buy spare RICs and he shows his patients how to replace them themselves. I wonder how often you have to replace the RIC and how bad is the cost? New technology drives new types of questions :slight_smile:

Jordan.

I was initially concerned about the speaker in the ear, and researched this before buying. It also helps that I already knew I’m not a big wax creator.

As far as sound goes, it sounds more like the Azure because of the natural directionality. The sound quality is very good, but I don’t know that I can tell if it’s any better than the Pulse, except for being able to hear sounds all around me much better.

The receiver tubes last much longer than the open fit tubes, and don’t seem to yellow like the open fit tubes, and can be replaced for $75 each. In addition to the open domes that protect the speaker from wax, the tip of the receivers have a color coded wax guard that I can remove and clean or change. The left guard is blue and the right is red, to color code the dot 30s. And I can change the domes every three months ($20 for a 10-pack) like I did with the thin tubes.

The receiver tubes are a tiny bit shorter than the equivalent thin tube. That worked out okay for me since I was wearing a 3A anyway; that tube was just a shade long, and the receiver tube 3A fits just fine. Others may need to go up a size to get a good fit.

Of course, I get just a shade over 6 days from the 10 batteries, whereas the Azure with the 13 batteries should go about 20 days at 16 hours a day.

It’ been three weeks since I received the dot 30s from precisehearing.com, and I really like these aids. Acceptance Manager has run it’s course, and the aids are at the final settings, from what I can hear. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve tried the 5, 7 and 10 mm open domes, and the tulip domes, with and without the sports lock. Today, I put the tulip domes back on, and think that’ll be what I stay with, with the sports lock.

The 5 mm dome was too small. The 7 mm seemed just right, but through the day the tubes would back out ever so slightly. The 10 mm domes were too tight, almost painful at one point, but the tulip domes seem to work and hold things in place just fine. I did rotate the dome on the receiver just a bit so the large and small flaps fit into my ear with the large flap laying in the bottom of the canal, and small flap toward the top. It also makes it easy to remember which one to flip to make sure the large flap is overlapping the small one.

I’ve had the opportunity to put the aids into every listening situation I usually experience, and they’ve performed well for me. Battery life is also working out as expected, at just a shade over 6 days. With the left ear being the monitor ear (omnidirectional mics) and the right ear being the focus ear (directional mics) I can sometimes sense the left aid switching programs, and it’s been the one to have the battery go first every time. Based on the setup for the “natural directionality,” it’s what I’d expect to happen.

So far, so good. :stuck_out_tongue: