New Resound Alera 61

resound
hearing-aids

The press release on this was a couple of days ago. Are any of you familar with it? It has wireless options such as the Resound Unite TV Streamer, Resound Phone Clip and the Remote control. It is completely wireless.

I received an email from Resound saying that the price ranged from $2685 to $6135 per unit depending on technology. I got prices of $500 to $800 for the 3 accessories from another source.

I would appreciate hearing any informatiion you might have.

0 Likes

6000$ for a unit… that could seem reasonable for the entire solution. 6000 per unit is crazy!

0 Likes

The price for the accessories is on target. But I agree that $6000 per unit is ludicrous! I’ve seen them priced more around $2200 to $2800 PER UNIT.

dr. amy

0 Likes

I had an appointment with my audiologist today. I have been testing the Phonak Audeo Smart IX hearing aids for the last month with their iCom/myPilot and I’ve been waiting for the Resound Alera model to be released so that I can compare the two. He confirmed that they have released the product and he would be placing an order today for the Alera 61. He didn’t have the exact pricing but it is close to the Phonak Audeo Smart IX and other high end hearing aids. The bluetooth microphone and TV streamer are in the few hundred dollar range each. I believe it comes with the remote.

I am quite excited about testing this hearing aid as soon as next week. The Phonak iCom is awesome but having no cord around the neck would be amazing. Also…my last 3 hearing aids have been Resound products and I’ve always found that Resound products seem to do a better job when it comes to speech in noisy environments.

That being said…I was having issues with speech in noisy environments with the Phonak Audeo Smarts and after he turned off the Voicezoom feature within the “Noisy Environment” automatic setting this morning…voice seems better.

These hearing aids are so complex that I’m beginning to think that most problems/complaints are caused by having the wrong settings or by mixing certain settings. Trick is to get a really good audiologist (like mine) who deeply understands the various settings and what they actually do to alter the incoming signal.

I can post my impressions of the Alera product if/when it shows up.

Jordan.

0 Likes

Just fit a pair this week. I will also report back after follow up appt :slight_smile:

dr. amy

0 Likes

It’s great that Alera 61 eliminates the need to wear an extra device around your neck (for example Oticon-Streamer, Phonak-iCom). Though everything is not peaches and cream. You still have the latency problem.

Here’s an example of what the latency problem means to you. If you are streaming TV to your hearing aids (HIs) then the sound will be slightly delayed as opposed to the sound coming from the normal TV speakers. This creates an echo.

Now you can fix the echo by turning off the TV speakers. That’s not ideal because now only you can watch TV. You can’t watch TV with other people.

You can fix the echo another way by using the fitting software to turn off the HI microphones while streaming. Good luck with this option because people can’t talk to you while you are streaming.

I do like the wireless programming capability. Now if only they would stop hiding the fitting software (Aventa 3.0).

0 Likes

I listened to the streaming through the aids and the latency difference is actually not detectable, unlike with other units. The other plus is that you can pair multiple aids to one streamer unit. So if a husband and wife both have the Alera aids, they only have to purchase one streaming unit. Both aids can use the streamer simultaneously.

dr. amy

0 Likes

That’s very interesting. I do hope they have solved the latency problem.

The first question under FAQs for ReSound Unite TV Streamer asks;
What is the Latency of the Streamed signal?
Answer: The latency is 20 ms.

I wonder what the latency time is for Oticon-Streamer and Phonak-iCom?

0 Likes

That being said…I was having issues with speech in noisy environments with the Phonak Audeo Smarts and after he turned off the Voicezoom feature within the “Noisy Environment” automatic setting this morning…voice seems better.
This seems counterproductive, but if it works, great. I’m trialing the Naida IXs at the moment, and my initial test in a noisy environment (last weekend), I didn’t notice a difference than when I had the Vs on in the same environment the week before. Not sure if the Zoom features need tweaking. I do know that I need to try to sit with my back to the noise tonight (same noisy environment - no, I’m not a party animal, just after-show get togethers…thank goodness I only work one show a year).

0 Likes

Hmmmm, I wonder if the latency problems of the past are with the Bluetooth transmission devices. This is what one reviewer said about the Motorola 89015J Dc800 Bluetooth Stereo Gateway:
I tried this product with my Oticon (Streamer) hearing aids, but found that the sound latency was unacceptable and wasn’t able to keep the Streamer and the Motorola paired.

I also wonder if you can pair the Alera aids with any Bluetooth streaming device such as the Motorola Dc800 mentioned above. I guess you can, right? Though, it may not be wise to do so if you end up with an unacceptable latency problem.

0 Likes

Your line of thought is right i think. You probably could pair it, but might end up with issues.

The latency is 20ms for the Unite prouct. Oticon and Phonak products vary from 60ms-110ms. From the research I’ve seen and products I’ve listened to (Oticon, Phonak, Resound, and Starkey) only Resound and Starkey had undetectable latency differences. Could be because Resound and Starkey product are newly available and produced so latency differences could become a thing of the past like feedback has become.

I’ve heard that latency has to be above 40ms to be detected and only something a difference greater than 60ms is enough to be bothersome.

dr. amy

0 Likes

I had little complains with the Unitrons and Oticons I have fitted…
they seem to work fine…

0 Likes

After poking around some more into this latency issue I think that ReSound’s elimination of the intermediate device (such as Streamer and iCom) has the benefit of a speedy connection. Here’s why;

Any communication protocol has Error Correction Schemes. I found these words which describe Bluetooth´s Error Correction Schemes;
Bluetooth units often have to contend with electro-magnetically noisy environments. Thus, the need for some kind of error-detection and correction. For error-detection, Bluetooth uses various checksum-calculations.

The other manufacturers who use a proprietary intermediate device worn around your neck have to perform this this error detection/correction twice. Once from the Bluetooth source to the intermediate device and then a second time between the intermediate device and the hearing instruments (HIs).

This should give the ReSound Alera-61 a large advantage over the others in streaming speed.

Makes me wonder why the other guys used an intermediate device in the first place? Why did they build a 2-step communications chain to convert Bluetooth into a proprietary communications protocol? It makes no sense to me.

Also, I wonder if they will change now that ReSound has come out with a one step Bluetooth streaming?

0 Likes

We are assuming this thing works well. We need to see if this is another BE.
No doubt this is the future, Perhaps this is the product GN needs to get back
in the map. Lets be realistic, GN Jabra is the #1 bluetooth head set company
in the world. Unlike HI they do make money. So if we assume they did transfer
some knowledge they can really pull it off.

I wonder what will phonak offer @ EUHA this year. Perhaps the same?

0 Likes

I think ReSound need this to work or they can be in bother… as discussed elsewhere the problem with Alera is the fact that it is not a radical platform change in terms of Audiology features it apers as if there are one or two bolt ons but to me its a tarted up Azure. I wonder how the Alera will fair in terms of battery consumption

0 Likes

My wife and I don’t need wireless streaming because of our lifestyle so we won’t be rushing out to buy these.

I did buy a pair of top-of-the-line ReSound Live9s w/acoustic slim-tubes. I liked them but they did not compare with my Oticon Epoqs. I sold the live9s and went with Oticon Epoq/RITEs and then later the Oticon Agil Mini Pro/RITEs. If asked to describe the difference I would say that the Live9s sounded loud/magnified while the Epoqs and especially the Agils sound more natural. I keep forgetting that I am wearing them. Last week I had a few cocktails at a party and went to bed wearing my HIs. They work well in bed too, lol.

btw> The reason I can buy, try, and sell so many HIs is because I buy used at low prices. When/if it comes time to sell, then I can get my money back (or most of it). Another benefit of self-programming.

0 Likes

I wish they didn’t use the 2.4Ghz band. There is lots of interference there. It would have been better to use the 5Ghz band.

0 Likes

the promise of agil is preservation of signal and to keep the sound as natural as posible
it is interesting to see you seem to valide agil’s promise

0 Likes

We agree, nothing really radical… Interesting to see them talk about spacial awareness when their instruments have not large bandwith nor wireless compression. They need to advance Natural directionality.

0 Likes

[quote=dr.amy;42011]Just fit a pair this week. I will also report back after follow up appt :slight_smile:

did you have the follow up appt? Do you have anything to report?

0 Likes