New Phonak MicroPower IXs

Last Thurs. I rec’d the Micropower IXs and since they are my first hearing aids, there, of course, will need to be adjustments, both in programming and my getting use to them.

My concern is that I still cannot understand people in conversation at all. Speech is very distorted and tinny. I was doing better without ,as far as speech is concerned. TV is impossible.
My bad ear, with hearing aid, gets barely a whisper of sound, making that aid almost useless.]

Since I am going for adjustments Wed., do you have any advice on what might be normal or abnormal that I should be discussing with audiologist?

Are there other HAs with less distortion of speech?

Even wearing these, I find myself saying to people that I am hearing impaired…“I need to look right at you when you are speaking.”

Thank you for any advice you may be able to give me.

pcweary:

I would ask my audi to perform REAL ear measurement,
This is a simple procedure that helps to see that the actual gain of the instrument is equal to the gain the fitting software prescribe…
This is a very important part of the fitting and unfortunately only40% of audis
performs it…
To me is KEY to do it, I always do it with all the clients…

With this procedure you can see how much speech you are getting…

GRANNY HARDCORE

Thanks so much for your reply. I shall certainly ask him for the Real Ear measurement… Can you tell me what I, as a patient and layman, need to look for with the results of this test? Does it give a measurement in terms of numbers? and how can I be aware of what those results should be?:confused:

An extract from an article by Dr Mike ross

In real-ear measures, what is displayed is the actual acoustic energy that exists within the ear canal of a particular person. They can be done with and without a hearing aid. When a person is wearing an aid, a flexible tube is inserted alongside the hearing aid and terminates between the tip of the earmold and the eardrum. This tube leads from the ear canal to a microphone situated outside the ear. The sounds detected by this ?probe-tube? system reveal the real-ear output of the hearing aid for the individual wearing it. It?s not a guess and not an estimate; it depicts the actual sounds reaching the eardrum of the hearing aid user. No other measure of hearing aid performance can do this. Real-ear measures should be done routinely during every hearing aid selection procedure and repeated routinely during follow-up appointments

please refer to the following article

http://www.hearingreview.com/issues/articles/2007-02_04.asp
while this article is biased towards a particular brand of equipment you can see the benefits of such procedure…

Also google visible speech mapping, which is a similar procedure using either live voice or like speech input signals

What is Visible Speech Mapping?

VSM utilizes actual live speech (clinician?s or family member?s) as the input signal for measuring the Aided Response in real ear measurements. Speech provides an interesting and familiar stimulus for the patient and, at the same time, it?s the type of signal the hearing instrument is required to process. VSM provides a dynamic presentation of how much “speech” is reaching the patient’s eardrum. When measured in the unaided ear canal, VSM is used to counsel the patient and third party on the effect of that individual?s hearing loss (by showing how much speech is not audible).

Vaporizer wiki

I recall getting a real ear measurement with an analog aid 25 years ago…
what a help it was.

“This is a simple procedure that helps to see that the actual gain of the instrument is equal to the gain the fitting software prescribe…”

I notice that when my dispenser hooked me up to the rem laptop the
other day (I was also plugged into the oticon/noah laptop…what a sight).
That is; the rem measured speech gain and allowed him to adjust the gain at frequencies to my loss in the speech range. Question is though, for pcweary, would a REM show the distortion that one is hearing?

For example, while
my newly repaired aid looked adjusted well on the REM (and it did help),
I can say with certainty that is sounds different than it did before repair (microphone was replaced). Its unclear if I were to hear distortion if it
would be readily readily n the REM sound wave…perhaps the wave/graph one
sees would be all jumpy showing the noise?

Audioloigist thinks we need a new approach with this distortion problem.
He suggested initially changing to the Savia, with more tweaking possibilities but by the time I finished with him, he wanted to try the Audeos and what a difference it made with my distortion. We’re still working on it and hopefully a solution made be found.

I think that you are mixing things up. If you want to check that the instrument is working fine, you use a hearing aid analizer, but first program the aid according to factory setting, put it in a hearing instrument test box and check that the aid has parameter in compliance to the publish settings,
there are numeros test sequence the ansi the IEC (i think), and so on.

Real ear measurement is a measurement in situ @ ear drum used to verify fitting. Is this clear?

Yes, rem equipment are not a novel thing

Dc marijuana dispensaries

The chiipset in the Micro Power IX and the Audeo and Savia Art are all the same. The difference is the receiver is much larger and more powerful in the Micro Power.

Thus, if your loss is not very severe, MicroPower is not a good option. As for tweaking options, the options are the same on the MicroPower, Savia ART and Audeo IX, since they are the same.

As suggested earlier, any fitting should be verified using REM. I prefer using visual speech mapping. YOu can do a search on this forum and you can see some screenshots and info on it.

If our users in general are not getting some sort of verification, such as REM, speech mapping, HINT (hearing in noise test) or some other form of verifications, go somewhere else.

Although the Phonak software is usually pretty close, they are not perfect and hearing aids will perform differently in EVERY ear and should be verified.

I concurr, I just Bought a Hint machine not long ago… But the Visible speech maping is far superior…

I agree, any consumer should ask casualy what sort of fitting verification you offer… If the answer is no fitting verification… NO sale…

Unfortunately, it is cumbersome and takes time… So while some pleople do it
still a vast mayority do not do it at all…

STAR CRAFT II REPLAYS

I had the same problem with mine. But, it was easily corrected. There was too much amplification in high frequencies. That’s one of the beauties of 22 channel aids…you can selectivly adjust the frequency attention.

22 chanels or 22 bands?

another example of why we need Speech mapping…

BLOWJOB LATINA