New paradigms in hearing technology?

Yep, I agree. I still use my APP2 everyday and I do turn on the Transparency mode because not enough amplification is still better than nothing. But I would never wear it outside of the house with the intention for it to replace my OPN 1.

1 Like

Good points,

Did you happen to import your own Audiogram via your iPhone? I didnā€™t know this was an option until recently.

And yes for some people it wonā€™t be enough amplification.

I first tried to import my audiogram through the actual print out of my official audiogram (audi-generated from a booth test). But the iPhone was not anywhere smart enough to parse it intelligently and accurately, so it ended up giving me the option to manually enter in the rest of my audiogram point-by-point and save it. Yeah, so I didnā€™t have to import it from any external third party app like Mimi or iHeartIt.

1 Like

You might take a look at some of the BeHear products, they may fit your needs, and they are much less costly than HAs. I have the BeHear Now product (only available as refurbs, they came out at least 5 years ago), they were great for streaming, not as good as my new HAs for social situations.

Below is another YouTube video by Dr. Cliff Olson doing REM analysis on the AirPods Pro about a year ago, before the AirPods Pro 2 was available. But the Transparency mode between the Pro 1 and Pro 2 are not much different anyway.

Some noticeable point-outs:

1. At 8:40 into the video, Dr. Cliff said he set the APP amplifcation (for Transparency mod) at Max, and it was still not enough to accommodate to his assistant Brieā€™s mild to moderate hearing loss. At default volume instead of max Transparency volume, few minutes earlier before the 8:40 time mark, the REM result was below Brieā€™s resonance unamplified hearing, even, because of the occlusion effect from the APP bud tip covering up the ear, disabling the natural resonance of the ear canal.

2. At 11:34 into the video, Dr. Cliff said he spent a SIGNIFICANT amount of time trying to match the APP amplification to the target curve, at the performance level of the hearing aids that his assistant Brieā€™s hearing loss (which is mild to moderate loss) is at, and to his surprise he was able to match it close enough. He didnā€™t really say exactly what he had to do to match it, but he showed and squared in red the ā€œCustomize Transparency Modeā€ window, as if it were where he made it happen. There are only 3 parameters to fiddle with there, so Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s really where he spent his significant time there, or else where.

The key takeaway I got from this video is that the APP Transparency mode does not amplify to par with the target curve while the hearing aids amplify to par with the target curve. Dr. Cliff said he had to spend a significant time messing with the APP settings to get it to par with the target curve, although he didnā€™t exactly say how (big mystery there). But the point is that he showed that the APP has the amplification power to meet the target curve if it wants to, but by itself, even with the audiogram in place, it doesnā€™t get you there in the Transparency mode. This implies to me that there is no audiogram accommodation in the Transparency mode.

Would any of this work with the wired EarPods that came with some iPhones?

There is a list here Customize headphone audio levels on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1 Like