New Oticon Products

I just got info on Oticon’s new products (Epoq V, Vigo Pro and Vigo). Here’s the rundown on differences between models:

Vigo Pro: Decision Maker 2; 8kHz bandwidth; Multiband Adaptive Directionality (four frequency bands); TriState Noise Management; volume control learning; wind noise protection; dynamic feedback cancellation; front focus; Open Ear Acoustics; 4 programs

Vigo: Decision Maker 2; 8kHz bandwidth; Adaptive Directionality; noise management; no learning; dynamic feedback cancellation; front focus; Open Ear Acoustics; 4 programs

Epoq V: NAL/DSL; 8kHz bandwidth; no binaural broadband; no binaural DFC; no true dynamics; no my voice; life learning with VC only; streamer available; 3 fitting identities; 8 fitting bands

Epoq W: Voice Aligned Compression; 10 kHz bandwidth; binaural broadband; no binaural DFC; true dynamics; no my voice; life learning; streamer available; 5 fitting identities; 10 fitting bands

Epoq XW: Voice Aligned Compression; 10 kHz bandwidth; binaural broadband; binaural DFC; true dynamics; my voice; life learning; streamer available; 5 fitting identities; 10 fitting bands

I forgot to mention that these can all be programmed wirelessly with nEARcom, a new product to be used in place of NOAHlink or HIPRO (yay, no more wires to untangle!) :wink:

you still need to use the Noah link i think

is the Near like a FM boot?

I just read the specs again, and it says that nEARcom replaces the existing NOAHlink neck loop, so it acts like the streamer cord (and yes, you would still use NOAHlink).

I’m curious, how important really is the binaural broadband and DFC? Also what does the true dynamics and my voice do?

Also, what’s the cost difference between the models? Is it that substantial?

Binaural Broadband
The wireless binaural link takes care of intelligent and fast synchronization of the compression, automatic and adaptive digital features, such as noise reduction and directionality, to optimize the comfort and preserve speech intelligibility.

Binaural DFC
The new DFC system is able to detect and eliminate true feedback - allows the client to enjoy music without the instruments trying to cancel out identical pure musical tones appearing at both ears.

True Dynamics
A mixture of two parallel compression systems - a slow 15 channel and a fast 4 channel system – to protect listening quality at all sound levels, thereby minimizing fatigue and maximizing audibility and speech understanding.

My Voice
By being able to recognize your own voice, especially during conversations in noisy environments, Epoq makes it comfortable to hear others more clearly. Digital detectors help suppress nuisance sounds that impact the purity of your listening experience, even when the conversation bounces back and forth between speaking and listening. Epoq is designed to help you enjoy the natural fidelity of all voices and sounds in your soundscape. My Voice can stabilize sounds through conversations and challenging environments when you are speaking.

I could tell you a bit, since I have been fitting quite a few of the epoqs

The Binaral BFC is not so important unless you like to listen to music specially clasical… then It could make a difference…

My voice, helps the instrument to differenciate when you listen vs when you talk, remember - Oticon is not a prediction based company (their way of thinking is that instruments should be based on artificial inteligence) therefore,
when the instrument detects voice, it calculates what settings (directionallity, NR) provides the Maximum Signal to Noise ratio. When you talk, you will trigger a high S/N ratio- So My voice is used to refine the process. In reality, I have sold Epoq with and with out my voice and I have clients equally happy…

True dinamics, does make a difference. I believe Resound Pulse has a similar feature (resound pulse had this feature Long before oticon)… True dinamics helps to have a really confortable instrument…

Do you have any links to the nEarCom wireless programming device that we can check out?

It doesn’t look like they have any info on their US or international website yet. They don’t have Vigo on there either. Actually about the only thing I could find online is from Oticon’s 2007 annual report:

http://www.demant.com/eprise/main/Demant/_Announcements/General/08-03-06_UK1.pdf , go to page 10

At last autumn’s German hearing aid congress, EUHA, Oticon introduced nEARcom for true wireless programming of hearing aids, an innovation born of a long-standing collaborative development project with two other hearing aid manufacturers and Bernafon. Oticon’s version of wireless programming works with hearing aids based on the RISE architecture and is an offer for hearing care professionals who specifically want to avoid the hassle of cables, who are particularly interested in cutting-edge technology, and who want to provide the most professional customer service and treatment. However, the Group has noted that some hearing aid manufacturers have opted to concentrate on their own wireless programming systems rather than be part of a joint development system, even though customers would most likely prefer major manufacturers to support a common standard.

So far it sounds to me like it will act like Epoq’s streamer does. The neckloop of streamer creates a field which aids using the RISE platform can communicate with. nEARcom will use this link for programming instead of requiring cables. I’m not sure what the speed will be, but it should be as fast or faster than NOAHlink, I hope.

Thanks for the info. It seems that it was developed in collaboration with Bernafon and two other manufacturers (not sure who). It sounds to me like it may have a receiver clipping onto the aids in the form of a shoe and a transmitter of its own or maybe one attached to the Noah link. I may be WAAAY off though… just taking info from previous posts in this thread.

This would make it much less elegant than the Exelia’s iCom which does not need these additional attachments as it programs directly with the aid’s built in wireless capability. Any idea how it all links together would be appreciated.

From what I could gather, nEARcom is a programming device, not something the end user would use. My guess is no shoes or boots are needed. The neckloop or string from NOAHlink is replaced with a special loop which creates a field (similar to a telecoil loop system) which can then let the hearing aids communicate to NOAHlink wirelessly, which in turn communicates with the computer via bluetooth.

Oops, Meant iCube not iCom. The terms are a bit confusing, Sorry. So I guess we’ll be seeing many more wireless devices, even from Bernafon soon. Thank you for your input

I would like to see how the “live” would work…
This is perhaps why I like to seLL Oticon,
GN is still missing this feature…