New Oticon Opn S Hearing Aid

oticon

OPN S info up on OTICON site now… it appears only rechargeable version is lithim ion… I thought they might offer a version with silver zinc /disposable battery but doesn’t appear to be the case… Engage with our styles

You sound like you just described me, especially relative to my right ear. The good news is that your experience with the OPN 1’s is light years better than mine :slight_smile:

I downloaded and read the white paper from Oticon on the new OpenSound Optimizer (OSO) for the OPN S yesterday.

As suspected, the key improvement is due to their new OSO feedback prevention technology that enables an extra 6 dB gain, which, beside the pre-emptive instead of reactive elimination of feedback, also gives the added benefits of more open dome fitting feasibility and more/better speech cues thanks to the extra headroom resulting in higher SNR (signal to noise ratio) from the 6 dB gain.

For people who are not having issues with feedbacks and therefore don’t really reap the direct benefit of this new feedback prevention technology, they still benefit from the side benefits like improved sound quality because the system gets more stable at higher gain levels, therefore leading to fewer incidents of sound quality degradation.

Don’t they tout that these are supposedly better in noisy environments as well?

Also, I can’t understand that they would actually release these as rechargeable only. What about folks who wear them at night? Those who camp, boat, etc who don’t have access to a means to recharge? If that is the case it will completely send me away looking for something else.

They aren’t all rechargeable there is one version that is rechargeable that I was able to tell

Yes, the extra 6dB gain achieved through the new feedback prevention basically improves the signal to noise ratio by 6dB, helping people hear better in noisy places because the noise can be suppressed down another 6 dB.

I copied the image below from another thread. But it’s interesting that the OPN S miniRITE R (the right most one, I believe) is showing a Litihium-ion battery that can easily be swapped at your provider’s office, and doesn’t have to be sent in to the MFG to have it done.

I remember reading somewhere that there’s a special tool required to open up the battery door for the OPN S R, so you’d need to have your provider do it for you because only they have the special tool and assumably can get the replacement battery from Oticon for you.

I have a pair of Opn 1 miniRITE hearing aids, which I paid for in February, less a week before the announcement of the Opn S. My audiologist contacted me yesterday and told me the Opn S hearing aids are available for order. I will be able to “upgrade” to them by paying the difference.

Normally, I like to have the latest technology, because generally, newer technology has improvements over older technology. There are exceptions to this rule. I initially purchased Phonak Audéo Marvel hearing aids and I found their connectivity fell far short of Phonak’s marketing claims. The Opns may be older, but for me, they had much better connectivity.

Unless there are drawbacks of the Opn S relative to the Opn 1, I will probably go for them. I will be giving them a try in April. I’m hoping that since this is a new platform, with more processing power, there will be further improvements to the connectivity.

Please post a link to this white paper.

From what I have read the newer OPNs have some what better speech in noise is about it

If I had a chance, I would probably go for the OPN S, too. But that’s because my right hearing loss is bad enough that it’s tethering on the verge of feedback even with my best manipulation of the feedback analyzer. So the fame to claim of the OPN S over the regular OPN is the new feedback prevention technology, the OpenSound Optimizer, which is exactly the improvement I need/want from the OPN S.

I don’t know what your audiogram looks like, so it’s hard to say if you can benefit greatly from the S over the original OPN or not. If your hearing loss is not too bad and you’re not having any feedback issue with the original OPN, your improvement perception on the S may be marginal. However, if it doesn’t hurt to try out the S, I would still do it, then make a decision.

The OPN S is based on the Velox Platform S, which is just a derivative of the original Velox platform. So while it has more processing power specifically needed for the OpenSound Optimizer, I don’t think there’s really any further improvement on streaming/connectivity.

Thank you very much.

I don’t have my audiograms, but I requested my audiologist to provide them. My hearing loss is not the same in both ears. I have otosclerosis in my right ear, with conductive loss and some nerve damage. The hearing loss is severe almost all the way across the frequency range. My left ear is different. I don’t have otosclerosis in my left ear, but there is some nerve damage, not to mention I’ve been around a lot of loudness over the years, which has probably taken a toll on both ears. The worst part of the hearing loss in my left ear is in the mid to high frequency range.

Were it not for my right ear, I would not be wearing an HA in my left ear. I recently got it because even with the HA in my right ear, my hearing is not 100% and I wanted to get my left ear as good as possible to make up for it. I am happy with the result of getting new HAs in both ears. I notice a reduction in hearing in my left ear when I’m not wearing the HA. Having HAs in both ears also makes a big difference for streaming, which the other reason for getting a pair of HAs, rather than just upgrading the right HA.

Based on what you’re saying, I think the Opn Ss will be an improvement for feedback (right ear) and for speech in noise.

Overall, I’m very happy with the streaming capability of the Opn 1s. They support multi-pairing and the streaming is very reliable. Despite people fixating on the ConnectClip, as streaming devices, the Opn 1s are much, much better than the Phonak Audéo Marvels. I would like if the ConnectClip could be simultaneously connected to multiple devices. This should be possible with a firmware update. I would also like if the HAs would stream directly to Android, without the ConnectClip, as they already do for the iphone. The HAs use Bluetooth LE, which is supported by my android phone and my laptop and it’s also used by MFi. The HAs are already simultaneously connected to the laptop, android and iphone for volume display / adjust, program and battery status, so it should not be a stretch to support this.

Anyway, I’ll post my audiograms when I get them from my audiologist.

I am considering to buy OPN S miniRITE and have a simple question to ask.
It seems like this model does not come with the volume control.
I don’t have such function on my current Resound and sometime wish I had one.
Is it handy to have this function? Any thoughts?

Depending on which model you have, it has either a single button or a toggle button. Mine are set up for left to be down volume and right to be up volume. A long press is used to change programs. The button configuration can be changed to give some choices. I can also change the volume with the app on either of my phones or with the ConnectClip.

I think you’re mistaken to think that there’s no volume button with the OPN S miniRITE. I’m pretty sure they have a volume button just like the original OPN. The only OPN versions that may not come with a volume button are probably the ITC, CIC, IIC ones.

Pictures here sure look like the OPN S has a button.

Thank you for pointing out my mistake.
Somehow the chart I have did not list the volume function.
The problem’s solved.

Thank you for pointing out my mistaken assumption.
I am glad that it will come with the model I am thinking to buy.
!!