New Oticon Opn S Hearing Aid

oticon

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

I don’t have my audiograms, but I requested my audiologist to provide them. My hearing loss is not the same in both ears. I have otosclerosis in my right ear, with conductive loss and some nerve damage. The hearing loss is severe almost all the way across the frequency range. My left ear is different. I don’t have otosclerosis in my left ear, but there is some nerve damage, not to mention I’ve been around a lot of loudness over the years, which has probably taken a toll on both ears. The worst part of the hearing loss in my left ear is in the mid to high frequency range.

Were it not for my right ear, I would not be wearing an HA in my left ear. I recently got it because even with the HA in my right ear, my hearing is not 100% and I wanted to get my left ear as good as possible to make up for it. I am happy with the result of getting new HAs in both ears. I notice a reduction in hearing in my left ear when I’m not wearing the HA. Having HAs in both ears also makes a big difference for streaming, which the other reason for getting a pair of HAs, rather than just upgrading the right HA.

Based on what you’re saying, I think the Opn Ss will be an improvement for feedback (right ear) and for speech in noise.

Overall, I’m very happy with the streaming capability of the Opn 1s. They support multi-pairing and the streaming is very reliable. Despite people fixating on the ConnectClip, as streaming devices, the Opn 1s are much, much better than the Phonak Audéo Marvels. I would like if the ConnectClip could be simultaneously connected to multiple devices. This should be possible with a firmware update. I would also like if the HAs would stream directly to Android, without the ConnectClip, as they already do for the iphone. The HAs use Bluetooth LE, which is supported by my android phone and my laptop and it’s also used by MFi. The HAs are already simultaneously connected to the laptop, android and iphone for volume display / adjust, program and battery status, so it should not be a stretch to support this.

Anyway, I’ll post my audiograms when I get them from my audiologist.

1 Like

I am considering to buy OPN S miniRITE and have a simple question to ask.
It seems like this model does not come with the volume control.
I don’t have such function on my current Resound and sometime wish I had one.
Is it handy to have this function? Any thoughts?

0 Likes

Depending on which model you have, it has either a single button or a toggle button. Mine are set up for left to be down volume and right to be up volume. A long press is used to change programs. The button configuration can be changed to give some choices. I can also change the volume with the app on either of my phones or with the ConnectClip.

0 Likes

I think you’re mistaken to think that there’s no volume button with the OPN S miniRITE. I’m pretty sure they have a volume button just like the original OPN. The only OPN versions that may not come with a volume button are probably the ITC, CIC, IIC ones.

0 Likes

Pictures here sure look like the OPN S has a button.

0 Likes

Thank you for pointing out my mistake.
Somehow the chart I have did not list the volume function.
The problem’s solved.

0 Likes

Thank you for pointing out my mistaken assumption.
I am glad that it will come with the model I am thinking to buy.
!!

0 Likes

I got a message from the person who posts the pictures to clarify a bit.

The picture I linked is OPN S - R, the rechargeable beside the Marvel M90R. It has button for up and down on each HA. OPN S has the same as OPN 1 - one button on each HA, that can be activated to volume. If you scroll a bit up, you can see picture of OPN 1 and OPN S together.

0 Likes

I don’t think I will go for the rechargeable so long as my hands work.
Still I assume that simple OPN S 1 will have a volume control outside.
Thank you so much for taking time to pointing this out!

0 Likes

I am really looking forward to testing the Opn S’s. :hear_no_evil: :headphones:

According to Oticon’s youtube, New Velox S chip with new "OpenSound Optimizer” allows Audiologists provide optimal gain in an open fitting with no risk of feedback .

This is made possible by an ultra-fast proactive processing technology that analyses the amplified sound 56,000 times a second.

This allows Oticon Opn S to deliver up to 6 dB extra gain…which leads to up to 30% more speech cues"

So I would think that to allow ultra-fast processing, the Velox S is more than just a slightly enhanced Velox chip…but, I am just speculating. I can’t find any chip specs so far. Major changes to the chip would probably affect power consumption and battery life.

Having said that, the news release photos indicate that 13 and 312 battery sizes are still available and the new rechargeable battery as well.

0 Likes

I found some information on the Velox S Platform on Oticon Global website: