New Oticon OPN 1 hearing aids sound different than the trial pair I was using

I’m glad to hear that this does not seem to be a common problem. The replacement set of Opn1’s should be here soon and hopefully the new set will be better.

1 Like

I will receive the miniPro and cables from buyhear on Monday. I have demo Opns set up by the audi. Unfortunately she did not give me a copy of the audiogram. I will pick up my new aids next week but in the meantime want to experiment with the demo aids.

I want to save the existing settings off the demo aids in Genie2. When I first connect the aids, will I be given a chance to copy the existing settings to a new profile? Must I first set up a patient record? If there are existing settings stored in Genie2 will those overwrite the audi’s setup?

Thanks

1. Setup a client
  2. Genie2 (later) will ask which settings do I use, Genie2 or Hearing Instruments? Choose hearing instruments.
  3. At end fittings Genie2 has 2 checkboxes []database, [] Hearing instruments. Choose database.
  4. Put something in the comment to mark this setting, maybe "Original Settings from Audi)

Next session when you make changes save the changes to both []database and [] Hearing instruments.

I was lucky that I got the same pair of HAs I tried, though I did notice some sound changes in the coming month.

Have you looked at the Adaptation Manager?
Sometime audi would let you gradually get adapted to the target formula instead of give you full compensation at the first time.
In the adaptation manager, only stage 3 is the target fitting curve. Stage 1 and 2 is just intermediate stage to help you adapt. Audi can also set to gradually change fitting curve everyday within a month to go from stage 1 to stage 2, or from stage 2 to stage 3.

This means that even if your adaptation level is set as same level in your demo pair and current pair, the actual fitting curve can be different (one at the beginning stage of adaptation the other at middle or end of adaptation.)

Thanks @pvc I will try Monday.

The adaption level, fitting curve and all other settings are identical, thank you for the suggestion though. I should be able to pickup the replacement set next week so hopefully those will be better.

I’m curious @Bruce316 if you have any update on this?

Hi Volusiano, thank you for asking. I just picked up the replacement set of OPN1’s yesterday. They are a little better than the first set but the trial pair still sounds better to me. I still have the trial pair also so I can compare the two sets.

My Audiologist said she spoke to Oticon about my complaints with the first set that was returned and Oticon told her that my trial set of OPN1’s were older and if I am hearing a difference with the new ones it is because they are updated. They must be speaking about a hardware change I guess since the software, firmware, and settings are otherwise identical between the demo set and the new ones I have tried.

At this point I’m not sure what I am going to do. I’m going back to the audi next week and see if she can do anything more with them. I think the Oticons are a great hearing aid but maybe they are not the right fit for me.

As long as you have both pairs did you change the receivers?

1 Like

This is a great idea. I really doubt that the actual chip set has been updated because that would have involved significant cost that they wouldn’t do unless there’s a major bug or quality issue with the chip set. So the most plausible hardware change would probably be on the receivers. Maybe they redesigned the receivers to be more reliable or something and in the process made some performance sacrifice at the expense of the users.

It may also be a mic change. Any part of the hearing aid that is analog may cause the sound to be different. Except with a mic change you can’t do a swap like with the receiver.

If the demo receivers sound better to you then I don’t see any reason why the audi wouldn’t let you swap receivers because they don’t have serial numbers.associated with them.

I think Oticon’s answer is a blow-off answer without giving you any specifics. However I think now that you have both pairs, if your audi is competent, he /she should be able to adjust the new pair to make it sound like the old pair if swapping receivers doesn’t do the the trick for you.

It may involve a lot of communication from you to the audi to provide accurate feedback on what your perceived difference is, and the settings on the new pair may become different than the old pair, but as long as it sounds as good or better than the new pair then that’s all that matters. After all, that’s what the fine tuning section is for and that’s why the audi is there for. The hardest part is not having the old pair as a reference but now that you do have it, the hardest part is no longer an issue for you.

1 Like

That was a great suggestion to switch the receivers, I just gave that a try but I didn’t notice any difference in sound. I’m not ready to give up on the OPN1’s yet, I’ll get together with my audi and see if she can get these dialed in to sound at least as good as the demo set. My other option is to go with my second choice, the Phonak B90. I really liked the sound quality on those also but then I would lose the MFI features that I really enjoy.

We cannot find many new features to cheer about for the new Phonak Audéo B90 model. Scroll up and down alter clicking this LINK for more details. SoundRecover2 being dynamically changed frequencies instead of fixed frequencies seems to be the one new feature which may be helpful for some. Though with your audiogram I’m not sure if SoundRecover would even be used?? Aside from the new SoundRecover2 feature the Phonak Audéo B90 model seems to be pretty much the same as the old Phonak Audéo V model.

This is just to make you aware of that discussion.

1 Like

One thing to mention is with the reverse slope loss you have on your left ear, read up on how Oticon have their proprietary fitting rationale that is supposed to deal with speech clarity for reverse slope loss users more effectively.

You can read up on this via their podcasts online or at the audiology online website to understand their strategy on dealing with this, which is supposed to be more effective and is proprietary.

1 Like

that Oticon video Volusiano mentioned can be a great help, it’s called “fitting a low frequency hearing loss” Audiology Students - Video Series | Oticon

1 Like