New OPN1 ITE aids

oticon

I wish I could only use my default program. I’ve got 7 other programs

• EasyRoger
  • Comfort in Noise (with 6 dB reduction)
  • Speech in Wind
  • T-Coil (for music)
  • Auto ZoomControl
  • Music via Roger
  • DuoPhone

To me that is way to complicated. At some point I will have my music and nature programs removed. Then I will only have the default, lecture, TV, and the two different mic programs. I don’t use the mic programs but they are there by default. The TV is used daily, and the lecture program has been used only once that it was really needed.

Hm, I never tried the Lecture program so I have no idea how effective it is. Maybe I should switch my Comfort program out and replace it with the Lecture program to see if it’s helpful for me.

PS. I just swapped the Comfort program out for the Lecture program in. The Fine Tuning compression profile of the Lecture program looks identical to that of the Speech in Noise program. So I’m guessing that’s why you find the Lecture program working nicely at a large family table in a noisy restaurant for you. The main difference is that it doesn’t apply max Noise Reduction values to Lecture like it does for Speech in Noise. It also has Medium Transient Noise Management while Speech in Noise has High Transient Management.

I, of course, bumped up the Noise Reduction value to maximum (I do that to all my programs except Music where there’s no Noise Reduction at all). I now expect my Lecture program to probably be identical to my Speech in Noise program, because all the parameters on Genie 2 seem to be the same now between the two. Unless there’s some hidden parameters not in Genie 2 that are different.

The lecture program was explained to me to be my default program with a front directional setting

My Lecture program shows “Open Automatic” as the default value in the Directionality Setting. There’s a Full Directoinal value option in the Directionality Setting, but that’s not what is automatically set for my Lecture program. It’s possible that your audi manually changed it to Full Directional in your Lecture program for you, hence what he told you.

Beside having lower Noise Reduction values set for Lecture, the OpenSound Transition help is set to Medium for the Lecture program, and High for the Speech in Noise program.

Went to a very noisy restaurant last night for a meeting in the meeting room with a large group of us old bikers. At first I had a lot of issues understanding what was being said but in about 10 minutes I was able to understand what was being said. I seems that my brain did adjust to the sounds, and also maybe my hearing aids also made some adjustments.
Also I noticed that my battery percentage did also drop a good bit while we were there for about 90 minutes, I am sure the hearing aids were working overtime with all of the joking and laughing.

I have something to say and I am not sure I should be saying here or somewhere else. I have been wearing hearing aids for over 14 years, and what I have learned is that unlike glasses hearing aids is something you have to want to use. You have to go into it with the attitude that you are going to accept them and you are going to wearing them and allow your brain to relearn the sounds you have been missing.
You have to remove the word cannot and replace it with I can. Our brains are a wondrous things but we also have to will and want. We have to will ourselves and also want to do something.
My grandma told me a very long time ago that can’t will never do it and I can will manage to do it.

So if you need hearing aids or any other device to manage in life you have to want to make it work.

Very true.

That’s what I used to say on this forum, when I first wore the OPN and started contributing to this forum. Especially with the OPN per se, if you hear all kinds of sounds, you need to approach wearing it with a positive attitude in that you enjoy and appreciate hearing all the sounds, instead of being all negative about having to deal with sounds you don’t want to hear.

I’m not just being smarty here. I speak from personal experience. I actually started out wearing the OPN with a negative attitude, because my audi gave me the wrong impression that it does noise blocking, so I expected noise blocking and didn’t see it happening. I let that bother me a lot (having to hear all the sounds).

But once I researched on my own and understood the open paradigm and why the OPN is the way it is, I decided to embrace it with a positive attitude, and sure enough, my brain eventually adjusted and I got used to it and began to enjoy being able to hear everything. Now I never want to go back to having that “cocoon” experience of having sounds muffled down for me by the hearing aids.

Three months in to my Opn1s RIC with mild hearing loss and I can honestly say that they have been a game changer. I spend a lot of my time working with either small or large groups of students (I am a Psychology professional). I had generic BTE hearing aids tuned to my prescription bought from an on line retailer for £700 for the pair as an experiment, they were effective and I spent time reporting back to my audi on their effectiveness. I bought a programmer in the end to make the final adjustments and even connected them during a workshop to the programmer to tune them until I could gain no further benefit. When I researched the OPN range I thought the iPhone connectivity would be great and found another online audi who came to my house re tested me (I had deteriorated) and sold me a pair including aftercare for £2400. After changing domes to open types I feel I am hearing ‘normally’ actually, I think I do better in noisy environments than my friends who don’t wear aids (and probably need them due to age related loss). In my professional world, the reduction in cognitive load is incredible. At the end of some days, before the aids, I simply was unable to drive home from the venue without a nap in a service station, as the concentration on comprehension was exhausting. I agree its as much about a mindset as it is about amplification and sound conditioning, but I will say these aids have been life-changing. They are being updated to the latest firmware on Tuesday so hopefully the issues I had with the connectclip and the computer and phone will be resolved. Probably the most value for money I have ever spent.

I am getting very close to a decision to remove my music and nature programs from my hearing aids. And I am also thinking about removing the lecture program. Everyday I am understanding more and hearing better with the default program. I am also getting to a point I am not needing the TV connect to stream my TV sound that much. There are a few series that we watch that the background is such that I need the TV connect to understand the conversations. And it does come in great use if I want to watch TV while my wife is sleeping.
I have only had two times the lecture program has helped and both times was not long after I got these aids. And I have done great with the default program twice since then. When I got these aids it was my goal to put them in and forget them them for th day, I am pretty much there now.

I am also finding I am turning down the volume on my hearing aids while watching TV with my wife.

I use mostly just my default program as well, but I don’t make it a point to remove my 3 other built-in programs, just because they’re there and available so I figure it doesn’t hurt to leave them there.

The only inconvenience is if you want to cycle through between the default and the TV and ConnectClip Remote Mic programs. If I don’t have the other 3 programs, I can just cycle up once to get to the TV program. With the other 3 programs in place, I’d have to cycle down through the ConnectClip Remote Mic program first before I can get to the TV program. So it’s an extra click for me each time, which is no big deal for me because I still see the value of have the other 3 programs in case I feel like I need them.

I wouldn’t be removing them any time soon but more than likely will when I go to the audiology clinic for my next check up.

I am going to ask a question and I hope you have the answer I am needing. What is the comfort program. Does it increase the noise filters and also improve the speech in noise.
I have managed with the lecture program in the past when being in a noisy restaurant but it was still somewhat stressful time and even the last time I found that the default did just as good.

Now I am going to ask a second question. I asked this of my Audi when I went back the to see him the end of January and he skirted over it at changed the subject.
My right hearing aid with even a fresh battery will show 30% or more usage loss over the left hearing aid, I even rotate the batteries and the resulting loss stays with the hearing aid and not the batteries. Do you have any insight in to this issue. Should I press my Audi and maybe Oticon on this or just stop paying any attention to the battery readings?
Also I do know this I can allow my hearing aid batteries go to dead. My left hearing aid battery will die before the iPhone or ON app says it is at 0% normally at 10%, but I have seen my right hearing aid battery show 0% for well over 2 hours before dyeing.

The built-in Comfort program as it is has the following settings by default:

1. In the OpenSound Navigator,
    a. The Simple Environment Noise Reduction setting is at -1.5 dB (while max is -3 dB) for OPN 1. OPN 2 and OPN 3 will probably have different max values and not -3 dB.
    b. The Complex Environment Noise Reduction setting is at -7 dB (while max is -9 dB) for the OPN 1. The OPN 2 and OPN 3 have different max values here.
    c. The Opensound Transition Help is set to Low (instead of High or Medium)

2. In the Transient Noise Management section, it’s set to Medium.

3. In the Fitting Fine Tuning section, the gains are set to slightly lower values than the gains for the Default program. You can just look at the gain curves between Default and Comfort when you toggle the 2 programs and you’ll notice that the Comfort gain curves will move slightly lower from the Default gain curves.

What this is telling me is that the Comfort program is designed to give you some additional overall Comfort from loud sounds in a complex environment. And it’s not aggressive with Noise Reduction to help improve speech understanding.

Basically when I feel tired in a noisy place (or like when riding in a car) but I don’t need to carry out a conversation with somebody, I may opt to switch to the Comfort program to help reduce the volume so that I’m more relaxed. But, by the same token, I can probably reduce the volume of my Default program and be able to achieve the same effect.

However, I suspect that the Comfort gain curves are a little more fine tuned to not just give you a slight volume reduction across the board, but maybe they don’t reduce the gains on the highs as much as they do with the mids and the lows.

In my own Comfort settings, I bump up the Simple Environment Noise Reduction setting to the max value of -3 dB, and the Complex Environment Noise Reduction setting to the max value of -9 dB setting. This is because I want to get the most Noise Reduction out of my OPN 1 if/when it becomes necessary. If/when it’s not necessary, then the Noise Reduction still simply operates at a lower capacity. But if it needs more capacity, I don’t want to artificially limit its max capacity when there’s plenty of room to spare.

As far as the battery question, for my mini RITE OPN 1, I do get 100% on both showing on my iPhone when I have fresh batteries in. And when it’s low, it does show like 10%. But I don’t pay much attention to the battery anywhere in between the low and the high because it can be all over the place.

I don’t notice a tendency for my right OPN 1 to show lower values than my left OPN 1 overall. Or not lasting as long. But then mine are the mini RITE with more room than your ITE. Maybe with the ITE, they might have resorted to do some kind of master/slave setup in order to meet the space saving goals they need, hence the right becomes the master and the left becomes the slave. This is only a guess on my part.

As for low battery warning, I do get an hour or more extra if I ignore the low battery warning until the battery is completely exhausted. I do that for all my batteries (exhaust them) and I don’t notice that one side lasting longer than the other side after that side has a low battery warning.

There are usually 2 principal characteristics with a battery, its voltage and its current when it comes to battery energy. But the battery level indicator usually only goes off of its voltage as an estimate of battery life, and not the current.

I’m wondering if for some reason your right ITE has circuits that sap the voltage down a little bit more than the left ITE. That may explain the lower battery level indicator throughout the battery life compared to the left ITE. It may also explain why even though it’s showing 0% (due to a lower voltage when the juice is running out), but in fact, there’s still more juice (current) in place before it’s exhausted completely. Even if the voltage is low, as long as it’s still within the operating range, as long as there’s still enough current going through the circuits, the HA will still work, until the current runs out completely, then without any more supporting current, the voltage drops significantly outside of operating range and the HA shuts down.

The master and slave is something I was wondering about too. Then I have played around with using only on aid at a time and have not noticed anything that would indicate that one aid cannot function in any way without the other. With that said it could be that the communication between the aids is controled by the right aid and that could be the difference, but I would not thing it would show it with that much difference in battery usage between the aids.

I’ve got a Comfort Program. It’s for comfort in noise for when there is no speech. Mine is set to get -6 dB.

I’m sure they would NOT design a master/slave thing such that the slave is entirely dependent on the master and inoperable without the master. It think if there is a master/slave design (and we really don’t know if there is any, only a wild guess here), it would only evolve around binaural sound management, and also NFMI (Near Field Magnetic Induction) communication between the 2 HAs. Meaning one HA may take more communication responsibility for binaural management and become the primary in processing binaural information and sending to the other HA.

Again, just a very wild guess. Who really knows?

Another question: This may sound crazy, this morning I installed a fresh set of batteries, this time I am trying Rayovac batteries. We had a Ash Wednesday service and I believe that the service was a lot clearer and the voices crisper and a lot easier to understand. The number at the service was about the same as our Sunday service. My question is can different batteries make a difference in the way hearing aids sound or am I just making more headway with sound and speech understanding as I continue to become use to this aids?

I can’t imagine how the batteries could have made things sound more clear in general because the processing is in the digital realm.

Having said that, there is a part of the hearing aid that’s still analog. That’s the digital to analog converter driving the final sound out of the receiver. If the battery is weak, the sound coming out of the DAC can be compromised a little, but mostly it still should just result in a weaker volume. I’ve noticed this effect when my battery gets low enough.