New observation regarding Music

I would think it would it would depend on how one likes their music. If one is a purist (wants to hear it as played) I would think one would want same settings for all music. However if one likes to play with the equalizer to make each song sound how one likes, then yes different songs or types of music would require different settings,

Strictly speaking, recorded music is processed before release; one never hears the music “as it’s played” in any genre. still, I take your point about dialing in music on one’s hearing aids to match what sounds best ‘to us’. I know a classical guitarist who wears hearing aids. He realized that he’d fixed the settings on his aids to compensate for his loss, but had lost how he sounded to others. He had to adjust back accordingly. We can curate the soundscape to a degree with out aids. this has benefits and dangers as well, particularly for musicians.

I’ll kick at the hornets nest and suggest that rock music, that emphasizes bass and drums, has a more limited sound palette than much classical music. I think this is what mystuart was suggesting. Rock emphasizes different things than classical and so the latter might require different HA settings.

That said, I listen to solo classical guitar, or solo cello even, or small ensembles. Maybe a rock group has more range than these examples.

1 Like

Old wind musician here who has been wearing hearing aids for 32 years. So thankful that I had an audiologist who would spend as long as it took to get the sound I needed. This included doing just what you’ve described. During one journey for new hearing aids I demoed several including Phonak, Starkey, Oticon, and Widex. I found that the Widex Beyond 440s didn’t have to have any of the adjustments that the others needed to avoid the distortion when performing music. I’m now, after 7 years, going to the Widex Moments 440 with custom ear molds and REMs.

1 Like