New member with a few questions

A little background info. 70 year old male, retired LEO at age 68 with 20 years experience either as a reserve or full time officer. Used to go to gun range about every 2 months and always used hearing protection while shooting. Since retired, I may go every four months or so.

I have noticed over the last year or so that I felt like my hearing was not as good as it used to be, and over the last couple of months I notice that I am having trouble hearing people clearly especially if they are on my left side. I also have tinnitus, and noticed it is getting louder over the last couple of months. I grew tired of telling my wife “Sorry, I can not understand you”, or asking people to repeat what they said so I went to my ENT who checked me over and found no physical reason for this and referred me to a Audiologist for hearing test.

The results showed mild to moderately severe hearing loss in left ear and mild to moderate in right ear. I hope my audiogram is showing up under my name so you can look at that! My main question is, do you think hearing aids would be of a big help to me? I think I already know the answer to that question, as the ENT thinks they would help. I went back to Audiologist after consultation with ENT, and the Audiologist says he thinks I could get by with just a basic hearing aid without all the bells and whistles of the top of the line aids. He suggested a basic aid and said it would be $2800. He never mentioned what brand or what model of hearing aid he was suggesting. I think I would really like bluetooth connectivity so I could answer through my iPhone. I have looked at Costco(not trying to start a war here!) and think that may be the route I will go. Would anyone think that OTC products would help after looking at my audiogram?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions! Look forward to reading more and more on this forum!

This is very individual. Some people with a lot less hearing loss, get Aids but someone with more hearing loss, might do well (the own well) without Aids.

In my opinion, this is quite expensive for a basic Aid.

The basic Aid / s work for older people who are in a care home, or don’t leave their house much.

The basic Aid won’t have much help in noise.

How do you manage in noise now?

Costco is good although they’ve stopped selling Phonak Aids.

I think so but you would have to try them.

Eargo & Sony both offer 30 day trials. I tried both; the concept is great, but they just didn’t have enough power for my hearing loss. They might work for you, no harm in trying.

The OTC that I have seen listed are ear buds with programing
If all you want is ear buds go for it.

You could look into Costco’s Jabra pro aids. They are the same as the Resound One. Your hearing loss fits into their use of the M&RIE receivers, which add a mic in the receiver in the ear. I find this very helpful for my loss. Of course as others stated every one is unique so you would have to try them. If you do try the Jabra pro, ask them to make a program set for M&RIE within the all around. As well as a normal all around.

@bricks609 Welcome to the forum, I hope you will find here what you’re looking for.

Do you qualify for VA help? if you qualify @cvkemp might be able to advise you!
This thread might be of help:

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! Do not qualify for VA as I never was in the service.

1 Like

OTCs would be reasonable to try, but I’m not convinced there’s much value there compared to Costco. I suspect you would benefit from aids although it’s going to be subtle.

Costco has the Jabra enhance pro 10 now which is the Resound Omnia

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know what LEO means, but if it’s a rank in the US armed forces, you best stop reading all this advice about Costco, etc, and go to your local VA health center, where they’ll do a full hearing evaluation, and prescribe top of the line aids for you!
It takes time to get registered, and get a referral to Audiology, but it is very well worth it.
If I’m wrong,and you aren’t a Vet, sorry 'bout that!

LEO stands for Law Enforcement Officer. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff, no military service so I don’t qualify for VA services.

AHHH, gotcha.

I agree, with Costco as next best to VA. in your case, as OTC would not be beneficial to you.
Do you have any hearing benefits through insurance from the county you served in?
If so, that might open the door to better than “basic”.

No insurance other than Medicare and Supplement. I switched jobs several times and did not have enough time with one agency to qualify for insurance after retirement.

1 Like

Welcome! Many people on this Forum know lots, and are willing to share their knowledge and help.

Plugs AND muffs at the range! If you are a right-handed pistol shooter your loss (worse on the left) is probably not related to range visits, but we do well to guard whatever we have left.

Costco has a very long trial period - I think it is 180 days but may be wrong - and you can bring them back during that time if they are not helping you. Also you can get periodic adjustments / fine tuning, included in the price of the aids.

So very, very much depends on who fits and programs the aids! I’ve had excellent people at regular commercial hearing aid places, and others who would be better employed stealing catalytic converters from under cars - and the same with various Costco fitters. Currently have a great person at Costco but people do not stay in the same job / store for ever. Best possible outcome is a good fitter at a nearby Costco, but you can’t tell until you try.

Worst outcome is you get hearing aids (from whoever) that really don’t help, but you keep them instead of turning them back in before the trial period ends. I’ve done that and it is stupid.

My own cynical take on this, at 73, is that if you are 70 and still healthy, you will eventually ‘need’ hearing aids and there is no time like the present to jump in and learn the drill. Just verify the trial period wherever you go and whatever you get, and don’t keep aids that don’t help much - turn them in and try something else.

Good Luck!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

My first thought is do you still get out in the public and put your hearing to the test like you used to?
Do you watch TV with the TV speakers or do you use closed captioning.

Your audiogram is not that bad. Do you happen to know what your word understanding scores are?

If you have a Costco anywhere near you they might be a good place to get tested and try out some aids. They use best practices fitting and have great prices and warranty.