New member on forum. Help

The one thing I have learned in 18 years of wearing aids is find someone who will work with you and that you feel comfortable that they have the knowledge to adjust your aids to benefit YOU… Believe me not all are created equal

3 Likes

Going to a store of the oticon and the manager gave me for 3 days (oticon opn3) to test the HA in my everyday life. What I heard was amazing. I was excited and I was very happy. I argued to myself that this (35) years did not use HA. I go to a seminar to see if I can hear what the speaker was saying. I also went to a cafeteria that had a relative noise to see if I can hear my interlocutor. I was listening to both superhears without asking what? What should I do now? Buy them or search more for others HA?. I would like your opinion …

0 Likes

Modern hearing aids are amazing. If you have found one you like and the professional is someone you like and can work with, I would stay with that one.

You may need a few adjustments and it will take some time for the brain to get used to the new sounds. Some sounds will be uncomfortable at first, like clanking dishes. This feeling will go away after a few weeks.

The professional may not have them turned up all the way for you, to make the transition easier, but at some point you will want to ask if they are turned up to target.

1 Like

I have OPN 1 and love them.

Good luck

1 Like

opn 1 is very expensive to me. opn 3 it’s ok! They have big differences between them?

0 Likes

The big difference is speech understanding in noise. And the handling of noise when dealing with speech

1 Like

Many people are happy with the Opn 3. Try it and see if it works for you.

2 Likes

Also enjoyed the insights posted! What brand of aid do you wear now? Glad it’s opened up a whole new world! You are so right in saying an AID is just that: a crutch for our ears. Not that I was born with normal hearing, but the Bionic Ear is still largely a dream …

My own suggestion for where to sit in a restaurant: with your BACK to the crowd! That way, you can put the aids in the “noisy place” program and voila! Nearly ALL background noise (of those sitting behind you) is blocked.

I even use this strategy when hiking or site-seeing. If I stop at a waterfall, I turn my BACK to it after appreciating the view. Otherwise, I can’t hear a dang thing with that roar of water. But in my “noisy place” program, I’d never even know Niagara Falls was back there, LOL!

0 Likes

Finally I bought the Oticon opn3 and I want to test them in different places. I would like to ask you which dome is correct according to the acorogram; The closed or the open;

0 Likes

Open domes will let your voice sound more natural and I think are what most audiologists would suggest for your loss. A more closed dome will allow more gain to higher frequencies without feedback, but alter how your voice sounds.

0 Likes

Is the difference between opn1 and opn3 noticeable for you?

0 Likes

I would try the open dome first. If you are not bothered by feedback then stick with them. If feedback is an issue then try the closed.

0 Likes

I am sorry that I did not reply to this in a timely manner. I wear OPN3 purchased for A low insurance copay. The audiologist included the TV streamer in the package. Since then, I managed to buy a pair of OPN1 for my then 87 year old mother. She had been wearing Resounds from Costco. She immediately acknowledged the more natural sound of the Oticon aids.

After buying my mother’s OPN1 aids, I decided to splurge and buy a pair for myself. Honestly, I have not spent as much time tweaking the OPN1 as I did in the past with the Agil Pros. For my needs the difference in the OPN1 and OPN3, at this point in time, is minor. They are both in a entirely different league than older Oticon aids. I would recommend everyone in the market for useable, highly wearable aids, to trial these. If you have difficult to fit loss and low tolerance for noise, the OPN1 is probably a good candidate to trial. If your past experience with hearing aids has been acceptable but not ideal, the OPN3, with it’s lower cost and less robust noise filtering, might be a good starting place.

I hope this helps someone trying to reach the goal of god hearing in our social world.

0 Likes

The clinician needs to check your inter-octaves (1500Hz & 3000Hz). You will benefit from any RIC style hearing aid that can match NAL-NL1 targets. Ignore 4000Hz onward, those frequencies are too far gone to usefully amplify.

0 Likes

There have been three adjustments so far and I have entered the final stage. I thought to convert the frequencies that are after 4000 Hz to more medium frequencies to listen to them as well. They told me that it was possible. They eventually changed these frequencies and I hear “s” somehow extraordinarily like a lot of “ssssss”. I don’t know whether to go back to the previous arrangement or keep it like that. Has anyone done this conversion?

0 Likes

Try giving it some time. I found it amazing how I adjusted to this. If it doesn’t improve after a couple of weeks (or if you just can’t stand it), ask them to make adjust the settings to make the lowering more gentle. You haven’t heard these sounds in a long time and it takes awhile to adjust.

1 Like

On the fitting type, you could find as they increase the correction you may start to get feedback with open domes. If so, then try closed domes. If they fail, then you may need to get a custom earmold. I ran your loss through the Rexton software and with a earmold the software suggested a 2.5 mm Select a Vent. That is medium size. With Select a Vent you can change vent sizes smaller if feedback continues to be a problem. From what I can see of your loss the HA is going to be supply a fair bit of amplification in the 4 kHz range, and that is where feedback is likely to occur.

The Rexton software also automatically recommended bandwidth compression to try to help you recover those high frequencies. I don’t know much about this feature, but from what I can see, it is recommending that the frequencies from 3.5 kHz to 10 kHz be scrunched (highly technical term) down to the 3.5 kHz to 5.5. kHz range. This is what the graphs look like. I have not tried this feature, but my left ear must be on the borderline of needing it too.

If they apply frequency compression it does not necessarily have to be used in all programs. If you have a music program it could be turned off for that program, so musical notes are not messed up.

2 Likes

I know this may be off subject but I dont know where to post my question,
How do I attach my hearing test results to my signature

0 Likes

Copy and paste from PVC
Here’s how to Enter Your Audiogram:

Visit https://www.hearingtracker.com/my-profile

Once you are in your Profile then find links to:
Enter your audiogram , or Update My Hearing Test

There are two ways to enter your audiogram. Graphically you can mouse drag the X’s and O’s around or switch to Manual Entry to just type in the numbers.

0 Likes

Thank you, I think I did it, Ill find out with this post

0 Likes