New member, getting first HA, seeking opinions Oticon, ReSound

Thanks for the update. Does your Smart 3D app have a Status button at the bottom? If so, that may provide battery status.

Did you ever see battery level less than 100% on Starkey and Widex? Zinc-air batteries have a constant voltage until they’re nearly discharged, so charge state can’t be determined from voltage. The iPhone Batteries widget shows phone and hearing aid battery level, and I almost always see my ReSound hearing aid batteries at 100% charge. I saw less than 100% once when I looked after I heard the low-battery tones.

2 Likes

Concur. Although battery meters for hearing aids sound good, they’re largely useless.

bobd, Yes there is a status tab, but I can figure out before looking at it what it will tell me.
The Google Play Store description seems to imply it might show low battery status, though that may well be my wishful reading misinterpretation. :slight_smile:

It is a yes / no connection status.

x475aws & MDB, As a former cell phone tech and all round geek, I understand linear vs algorithmic battery discharge curves, and still use Battery University frequently, it has been my go to for 15 years or more. It will give me a few hours warning I found with the Starkey at least. One morning it showed 80% and four hours later I got he low battery warning, The Widex never got low battery, they were likely almost full when I got them for the 3 day demo.

I understand the limitations of a battery meter for zinc air batts, it is not linear like a car gas gauge, but once one learns the limitations, the info proved can be useful. I just want more info rather than less, unapologetic geek that I am. :crazy_face:

Just to make clear how misleading the battery gauge is: Assume you get 100 hours out of a battery, and that the low battery warning means the battery is effectively drained. Then, when it showed 80% battery remaining, there was really 4% remaining.

My first set of 13 batteries went 8 days, I changed them start of 9th day for the outdoor event, not wanting to do it 1st time outside. Second set gave me the warning today, 10 1/2 days of use, About 16-18 hours in ear each day, and 4-5 hours streaming each day. I’m impressed!

Had an odd one yesterday, split hearing. :astonished:
One ear on Phone Clip+, one ear on Outdoor program that I was on before I started streaming. Still music in both ears when this happened an hour into streaming music from phone via PC+ to HAs. I had to turn HAs off to reset this snafu. Tried stopping streaming, turned off PC+, nothing cleared it until I rebooted the HAs. I’m blaming the Phone Clip+.

Stay tuned for more adventures… :eyes:

Can you elaborate on the split hearing? The reason I ask is that I have significantly different hearing on each side, however no hearing aid has separate user adjustments for each side other than volume. Given that you had a different program in each ear, did you try to adjust each separately? Have you attempted to replicate it or figure out what happened?

What I’m trying to get is separate programs or favorites on each side. I don’t think the Phone Clip+ is the answer because I don’t want streaming, I just want to be able to adjust bass, midtones, and treble separately.

The split hearing was a bug, a snafu, nothing I did, nothing I want. It was a screw up with either the Smart 3D app or the Phone Clip+ or both. It did that all by itself.

I had a long pause with no sound in the left HA about 15 seconds. I looked at the app to see what what happened and saw the above. I tried to change the Smart 3D app, but it would not respond. I turned off the Phone Clip+ and that did not change it. I had to reach up, open and close the HA doors to reboot them to solve it. I was out on a long walk along a trail that runs from my neighborhood to downtown, listening to a podcast from my Android phone. That trail has nowhere to sit and try other means, so I restarted the HAs.

Sorry I’m not able to offer you something useful for your needs with your hearing.

Thanks for the reply. If I can turn in my Phonaks at Costco and get a pair of Resounds, I’ll fiddle.

Got my Resound Fortes. I don’t have a phone clip but I can get the same effect by enabling streaming to one ear only. When I start streaming, I get the split as in your screen shot above with the iPhone on one side and the program on the other.

Well, after weeks of frustration with steaming podcasts, phone calls, music, and TV to my Fortes with the Phone Clip+ and Pixel 2 XL android phone, I walked by the Apple store and this time went inside to look. After considerable time with a very knowledgeable young lady familiar with all MFI HA features in the phone, we actually paired my HAs to test, and I was wowed at how well it worked.

After 90 minutes of discussions and testing, I walked out with a iPhone and watch knowing I had two weeks to return it for a full refund. I expected to do all my normal activities with it for a week, fully expecting to return both and wait for Google to release their full HA support, hopefully at their event in NYC on October 9th. I installed my SIM and all the apps that I use with my Pixel 2 XL, and headed out the door for a walk.

Listening to a podcast, I had no more warble, no weird digital artifacts at all. That night I watched TV, and tried many different apps, casting movies and music to my smart TV and Google Home Max speakers. Over the course of two days I tested everything I could think of and was admittedly impressed with it all functioning as well or better than my Android. Having the Smart 3D ReSound app available on the Apple Watch was very useful, just a quick touch on my wrist to make a change.

The features that tipped me over the edge was the Activity and Health apps that Apple has on both devices. As I’ve mentioned, I’m recovering from cancer (especially the long term after effects of cancer treatment), and a broken femur after getting hit by a car. I usually walk 5-6 mirles over the span of 3-4 hours each day, with coffee stops along the way. The activity tracking that Apple has is far better than what I could do on my Android with six different apps.

I still do not like the Apple proprietary business philosophy, and was concerned that the Google services that I pay for on a monthly basis would not integrate, but they work fine. So I returned the iPhone 8+ and Watch 3, and bought an iPhone Xs Max and Watch 4 after 10 days. I’m still watching what Google does with their direct HA support. Seeing the the ReSound Quattro is the only hearing aid that claims Android direct streaming, with a price of $6-$8K I became skeptical. I’m certain there will be more, but at a premium price.

Yesterday seeing the announcement of the ReSound Vida from Costco, I doubt they will do the Quattro. Because I am so satisfied with my Costco experience after all the frustration of three audiologist pror to that, I see no reason to buy new HAs to get Android integration that is still not actually availble, and may not work well. I justify buying a new phone and watch since I saved more than half of the $6000+ I had been expecting to spend on HAs before going to Costco. My cost of HAs, phone and watch is still less than that. :+1:t4:

I am getting 10 days out of the 13 batteries (four batt changes) with all the streaming too, very happy with that fact!

@bobd Interesting that you could intentionally get the split screen in the app. Does that let you accomplish what you want with the individual adjustment of your HAs?

3 Likes

Careful or next thing you know, you’ll be buying a Mac. :slight_smile: Just kidding. I’ve become fully embedded into the Apple ecosystem over the years. I’m not thrilled with the “our way or the highway” philosophy, but I can get around that for the most part for what I need. My concern is the overall stability isn’t what it used to be, or at least what I remember it being. Not as bad as my Windows (XP, 7, 8, 10) experiences however.

As for the split screen, unfortunately, the iPhone side only comes up when streaming and only when you enable streaming on one side only. So you can change the program on the other side, but the streaming side stays the same. And as soon as you stop streaming, the iPhone side disappears.

2 Likes

Sound like the horse is out of the barn door for you. But I find the combination of my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and a Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier watch great for health tracking. I get about 2.5 days of battery life (but I’m always charging incrementally, going between about 30% and 60%, to maximize watch battery life span, rather than going to 100% charge. But besides fitness activity, which is very accurate if you turn on phone GPS, too, I like the sleep monitoring activity. At least previous Apple watches could not do that because they had to be charged overnight. The heart rate monitoring is pretty accurate, too, as compared to my Polar S625X watch with chest strap (and you can get a Gear watch app that allows you to monitor heart rate via a chest strap, too, and send data through your watch to the cloud). Relative to Windows 10 stability, I have FIVE home computers all running the latest version of Windows 10 (October 2018 upgrade) and have little or no problem with system stability, old app functionality, etc. The other thing you might want to consider is that Microsoft is moving in the direction of making Android its mobile operating system. In the near future using the MS Android app Your Phone, you should be able to mirror your Android phone and its apps on your PC, i.e., launch on the phone but see on your PC screen and operate via your PC the Android app. So if you’re a Windows rather than a Mac user, you may be limiting your possibilities as time goes by. But Android like Windows, with all the different devices it tries to support, is a mess, so going Apple wholeheartedly might not be a bad option. Since I’m approaching 73 and have a lifetime of Windows/MS DOS stuff that I can still run all the way back to 1982 through virtual machines, I’m not too likely to suddenly become an Apple user just for HA’s. I trust Google will make an HA streaming solution that really works and becomes widespread if it doesn’t want to lose the ball game to Apple.

Engadget article on Your Phone

By the way, it looks like the just announced Surface Headphones would make a great OTC HA supplement. Someone that I trust has had an opportunity to try them says that the noise cancellation and the sound are truly awesome. If MS would just add a frequency equalizer function to at least somewhat compensate for age-related high frequency hearing loss, they’d be even more attractive to me. Am awaiting further details on product, which weighs in at $349. Appears from accessories that it can be used as either as a BT device with 33-hour battery life (charges in 2 hours) or as a wired headphone, too.

1 Like

I’m not a regular Windows user. I’ve run Linux now for over 20 years. I used DOS and OS2 before that. Remember DESQview? It allowed windowed apps using DOS before MS started Windows. I prefer Linux for a few reasons, and have used it since it was primarily command line driven. I have an older mostly retired laptop with Linux and Win 7 dual boot, my current desktop is Linux with Win 10 dual boot. I get into the Windows partition maybe 5 times a month at the most.

Android is essentially Linux and all terminal commands are the same, so is the kernel, just that Android runs an older smaller version, but is still in active development. The health tracking, nutrition, sleep, exercise worked well on my Pixel 2 XL and LG Watch Sport, but it was all different apps with no central integration. Apple puts it all together and I can see nutrition, exercise, sleep, etc. all in one view and see how one affects the other . I get over 2 days on my Apple Watch 4 now, so sleep tracking is easy. My old LG had to be charged morning and night to be able to use it round the clock, minus an hour charge time twice a day.

The biggest thing is that podcast, music, and phone calls are distortion free with the iPhone and not with the Android with Phone Clip+. I’m convinced the PC+ is the real culprit since it only has bluetooth 2.0, and it was just a PITA with the time it took each time to connect and relay audio to the HAs. With the iPhone it is seamless. I have to hand it to Apple with their MFI, even if it is proprietary, so many hearing aids support it. It looks like Googles implementation will require new and more costly hearing aids. I’m not getting rid of the Pixel at all, and will watch the Google evert with great interest on October 9th.

I’m long way from becoming a full Apple fan boy. :slight_smile: I still subscribe to Google services and have Google Home speakers and Chromecast, a Pixelbook (chromebook laptop) and my primary mobile number is Google Voice, forwarded to the iPhone number. I’m using most of the Google apps I know well on the iPhone, Play Music, GMail, Chrome, Drive, Photos, Calendar, Google +, Assistant, etc. The only thing that pushed me to try iPhone was the hearing aids, and that may change in the future, who knows? Now seeing all the Accessibility setting Apple has compared to Android is a real eye opener for me!

I did check the Surface Headphones, they look interesting. I still miss the good music sound, and streaming to hearing aids is poor. I tried full over the ear headphones and could not stop the HA feedback, so they were returned. I keep looking for some earbuds that will work with the HAs, but nothing I really like so far. I’m listening to more podcast and less music now, which is better for my ongoing education as I approach 70. :grin:

1 Like

Appears I am in error. Could have sworn the specs site for Surface Headphones said 32 or 33 hour battery life. Site now says 15 hours with active noise cancellation on: Tech Specs

1 Like

Samsung Health is all one-integrated app. The disadvantage of Samsung is since Google’s (Android) Wear watch OS has been relatively terrible compared to Apple’s Watch OS, Samsung has gone it alone with its Tizen OS for watches. So, as a result, there are hardly any apps beyond the basics for the watch but if all you want is fitness, e-mail, text, reminders, calendar events, the basics, in other words, it does that well and has been ranked up there with Apple Watch by Consumer Reports. (and my particular S3 watch (but not later Gears), thru MST, can pay at ~90% of existing credit card terminals). The current Gear watch gets 4 to 5 days of battery life but all these things depend on how you run them. Since smartwatches are moving in the direction of being able to operate, place and take calls independently of a phone (like Dick Tracy), it will be interesting to see if someday soon there will be a Made for Brand X Smartwatch hearing aid selling point. You can put music on your smartwatch and stream from there, for example. Maybe, as you say, TJ, the music quality will always be a bit inferior to what you get with a really high-quality headphones or a fully replete speaker system.

Since I like to listen to podcasts, too, how whatever hearing aids I get will work out for podcast listening on sometimes windy walks or walks with helicopters from a nearby medical center zooming overhead is something I’m thinking about-hence the active noise cancellation features of the Surface Headphones if only worn over the HA’s to which I’m streaming… BTW, as far as education goes, the BBC has some excellent programs. Melvyn Bragg’s In Our Time podcasts are strongly oriented towards Europe and the United Kingdom in terms of the history and the science series. The British Museum’s History of the World in 100 Objects is great. And so is the BBC’s Short History of Math - covers the lives of 10 famous mathematicians and the importance of the math that they brought to the world. For example, the importance of Euler’s analysis of the Seven Bridges of Königsberg.

1 Like

DOS, Windows 3, OS2, but for work. Didn’t have anything at home until an Atari ST. And at work it was mainly minicomputer OSes. But enough about “ancient” history.

How have you found the ReSound Smart 3D app Apple watch connectivity. I have a Series 1 and the ReSound complication works, but seemingly only when the app is connected and open on my iPhone, which sort of defeats the purpose. As soon as I close the iPhone app, I have connection issues on my watch. It’s possible that it’s the older watch and an older iPhone (6S).

2 Likes

I started out with IBM punch cards and teletype tape, programming in Fortran, then moved on to time-sharing on Bell Lab Unix on PDP machines (forget what number), where the godfather figure who donated us time for free on the machines wanted us all to learn to program in C (I demurred) - my only use was word processing with nroff/troff. A 5 Mb hard disk was as big as a washing machine! I remember in buying my first IBM PC, I wanted it fully loaded with 640K RAM and the University sales person exclaimed, “What!? You’ll never be able to use that much RAM!” We’ve come a long way, baby! Perhaps the processors in HA’s now could beat those early machines? Sorry for the diversion but folks who declare “we have no use for this or that in hearing aids remind me of the guy who said I’d never want more than 640K RAM in a computer ……”

1 Like

Been there, done that LOL. Sounds like we’re of that age. Did Fortran at University. Let’s see. I think it was an IBM 360/85 with some sort of 2nd gen front end. That was 1969. A few years later I took a COBOL course and yup, I remember the hard drives that size. Many years later I remember agonizing over whether to spend the extra money to get a 40mb hard drive instead of a 20mb. And I know I’ve got more computing power in my ear than those early machines had.

As for flexibility and options, it’s much better to ignore or turn off if not needed than not to get the best improvement possible. There is no one size fits all.

3 Likes

I guess one can safely say that if you’re old enough to have programmed in Fortran with punch cards, you’re old enough to probably need hearing aids, since something like 2/3rds of the folks over age 75 need hearing correction. And we belong to that gang (I’m going on 73).

1 Like