New KS 10 and everyone now has a Lisp

I just upgraded from my KS 9s to the KS 10s. Teh issue is everyone has a Lisp, even on TV. It does not matter what program.
Has anyone else encountered this?
Thank you

Sound Recover is set too high.

3 Likes

Yes. I had that immediately. Not good when you know the spouse doesn’t have a lisp.
The fitter adjusted it out over the internet on my phone. Pretty cool.
When I got connected to the self-adjusting I saw some settings for that specifically. But I’m no expert.

2 Likes

Z10,
You say you saw an option to remove the “lisp”?

I’m not certain what they called it as I haven’t been in to self-adjusting for a while. Do you have the stuff to do self-adjusting? The fitter can do this all online if not. As they did for me.

I do not have the items needed for self-adjusting.
I went back to the fitter and all he did was reduce the high frequencies, which has not corrected the problem.
I thought I remembered on the KS 9s there was a back screen of adjustments that had the lisp option.

Told you what needs to be adjusted. The Sound Recover. Quite common for it to cause a lisp if set too high.

Should add, the KS10 is basically a Phonak Audeo P90 RT with different Mic openings.

5 Likes

FYI, I also noticed a lisp at first also from my KS 10’s (rec’d in May 2021), especially from my wife. I have not noticed it for several months. Either something was fixed or I got used to it. I did not mention this to the Costco HA fitters.

One positive thing I’ve noticed, I can now hear the trill from calls of Spotted Towhee birds. Before the 10’s (with 7’s and 5’s) I could hear only the beginning 2 or 3 loud chirps from those birds.

1 Like

Would you happen to know where a can download Phonak Target 7x software? I can’t seem to be able to find it anywhere.

1 Like

When I had my Phonak aids for profound loss I needed SR 2 adjusted for this exact problem frequently. My AuD eventually found my “sweet spot”, where the lisping sounds were fixed. It’s definitely a easy fix but to find the exact balance between using SR 2 and lisping sounds might take a couple of adjustments. Well it did with my profound loss.

1 Like

There is a DIY forum on here, usually with a thread just for that question. You’ll get better service there than here.

WH

.That does sound like “Sound Recover” is doing its job. I have learned to just put up with the sibilance and lisping as the price I pay for being able to hear those long lost high frequencies. There are adjustments that can be made to lessen the issue. My high frequency loss begins at such a low frequency that most high frequency sounds sound alike to me. The frequencies are so compressed,but they are there.

Are you referring to frequency lowering when you refer to sound recover?

Yes, it’s called Sound Recover in Phonaks including KS10.

Have a Google about it.

I assumed so and your correct
I’ve have used Oticon Epoq, Alta, and currently Opn very lisp when Opn frequently lowering on

I’m afraid I can’t help with the exact setting that needs to be changed, but this is something that can be managed through the programming. I had this when I got my Phonak trial hearing aids, everyone sounded like Sean Connery. Took a couple of visits to my audiologist to get rid of it fully.