New hearing aids for severe to profound loss

Hello,

I was reading through most of the threads here about some of the new hearing aids that have been release (some UP and some SP) and I was wondering which hearing aids do you guys prefer for someone with my kind of loss?

Right now I am currently using the starkey halo i90 and starting to catch myself crank up the volume when I have to go to school or work. Another problem I have with my hearing aids is when I am having a conversation with my best friend in the car, I really struggle to understand her because I am not looking at her since I am driving .

I have had my starkey for 5 years, when is it time to replace the hearing aids?

I imagine if I had your loss that I’d want to try Phonak Naida M hearing aid. I think it’s frequency shifting system (Sound Recover 2) might be beneficial. An optional Roger microphone could likely handle the car issue if the hearing aids couldn’t by themselves. Regarding your Starkeys–if they’re working well and doing what you need them to do after getting them adjusted, there’s no reason to replace them. However, if a newer hearing aid does the job better, or has some new feature that’s really beneficial, (and you can afford it), the time is now. Keep us posted.

3 Likes

Your word recognition scores are very low. I suspect you are not getting much after 1500-2000 hertz.
Our hearing losses are not a long ways apart and I have learned not to put gain in the upper frequencies because I can’t hear anything there anyway. You may find that is true with you too.

I agree with MDB about Phonaks Sound Recover 2, it just might be the answer you are needing but you might not need the powerful Naida aids if you don’t need gain in those upper profound frequencies. I am wearing Phonak Audeo Marvel aids with P receivers with great results by using aggressive sound recover 2 settings.

Good luck

4 Likes

Which of the M would be best? The 90 or 70?

The 90 has the most features and is the most expensive. Whether you could tell the difference is unknown. Raudrive is right that you could likely do just fine with a similar aid that isn’t quite so powerful as the Naida. A Bolero M (BTE) or Audeo M (RIC) could also likely handle your loss.

3 Likes

I am struggling to listen to my wife while SHE is driving, too. In the past when I was driving by myself there was no way to concentrate on things being said - neither by a co-driver nor by someone talking on the radio. Hearing and listening is a single-task issue.

When my good-hearing wife is driving and having a conversation on the mobile phone at the same time then she makes driving faults one after another. This applies to other drivers, too. Although German are excellent drivers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Atm I am wearing (used and therefore cheap) ReSound Enzo² (2016). My Phonak Naida B (2018) is much better in sound quality. (The main reason is probably the fitting-range which does not fully fit to my audiogram). ReSound’s advantage is its MFi capability. On the other hand Naida M or Audeo M can be connected to any smartphone without a separate streamer like my Naida B. But in my case Phonak Marvel are too expensive in contrast to their value.

2 Likes

This is so true.
Having really bad hearing takes a lot of concentration to understand speech. To drive and try to understand someone talking to you is difficult. Those with better hearing do not understand this.

4 Likes

You L ear is the same as mine before I went the CI route. I wore Phonak Bolero SP 70. I didn’t need gain either. My Aud fully activated SR 2 for me which did make a big difference until I had SSHL in my R ear. I also had to use a streamer compilot 11 so I could talk on my mobile phone. Even today I struggle to hear on the landline phone because it’s not BT enabled. Good luck.
Another thought I have if you had MFI aids you could use live listen from your iPhone (if you have iPhone)… Live listen streams conversation straight to your MFI aids into your ears. Making conversations in noisy situations easier to hear.

Hmmm, you have poor word recognition scores. Can I suggest that you find an audiologist who will let you try different brands and models that are suitable for your level of hearing loss?

Those of us here who use SP or UP aids like myself, can make suggestions to you, however the best way for you to see what works best for you is to trial a few different brands and models.

Best wishes

1 Like

Adding to the suggestions, when you pick aids to trial and demo, try the Oticon OPN S model.

I’m in the Severe/profound range too, and the frequency shifting it does to bring higher pitch sounds (women’s voices) down into the frequency I can hear is helpful.

1 Like

Sharing your audiogram would help us help you and others. I like Oticon but they do not go down as low as other name brand aids frequency lowering technology. Everyone’s hearing loss is different.

1 Like

Unfortunately there’s not a hearing aid on the planet that can do much with that speech comprehension. Look at my test results and you’ll see I speak from experience. I have tested the new oticon, the resound and the marvel naidas. By testing I don’t mean walking around Costco for an hour which I find insulting or even worse sitting in an audis office. I mean being allowed to take the hearing aids home for a few weeks bring them back getting them adjusted and trialing them again. Not all audi will allow that. No one on this forum can tell you which aid will be best for you. I find that all the aids I have tried sound different to me and I can guarantee that how they sound to me will not necessarily be how they sound to you. They all handle the dreaded background noise in different manners. You really need to keep in mind that your speech comprehension is a major challenge enhanced by the fact that everyone out there right now is wearing a face mask. So like me you might hope for some improvement in that area but consider how the aids help you in other situations. As for me I’m leaning towards the phonak naida marvels but that’s not a recommendation. I wouldn’t even consider doing that because as it has been stated no one’s hearing loss is the same. But a 20 % speech comprehension is a serious challenge for any hearing aid. Good luck and be patient. I’m more amazed that I can hear the birds singing on an early spring morning. Maybe I’m just getting old. Oh and I can also tell which direction the truck that’s about to run me over is coming from. Not all aids handle that well

6 Likes

My problem is that I have been severely hearing impaired for a very long time and my brain is not used to dealing with the sounds that my Naida M90s are picking up so I have to force myself to actively listen (a technique of Mindfulness). It can wear you out mentally fairly quickly if you are not used to it. When this happens I find my mind wandering and I have to wrestle it back into action. As time goes on, I hope that this mental exercise will cause my hearing to work a bit better down the road. But with powerful hearing aids like my Naida M90s I have better tools to work with.

3 Likes

You have to give yourself time to rest and relax and slowly allow your brain to adapt to the sounds. I also understand that is something that is different for each of us.

1 Like

You are describing better hearing in the future. Hang in there. All those new sounds will fall into place in time. Are you hearing birds, alarms and other things you didn’t hear before?

1 Like

Yes, I hear birds I haven’t heard before and new beeps from things that I didn’t know could beep (like toaster oven, microwave, the UPS that I use to keep a backup power source in place and so on…

But the most amazing difference is that now music actually sounds like music and not noise. I can actually tune my guitar by ear which is something I have not been able to do for a very long time. I have had to resort to an electronic gadget that does it for me and the music that I play and sing now seems to be musical to my ears. Thanks Phonak!

I am always discovering new sounds and I imagine this will continue. As I remember the same thing happened when I received my new Ambra hearing aids 7 years ago, but the deafness gets worse as time passes and I imagine the same thing will happen with the Naidas. However, by then Phonak and others will have come come up with new and exciting hearing aids that will blow the Naidas out of the water.

2 Likes

I remember the first time I heard the vehicle turn signals, I was going crazy trying to figure out where that clicking sound was coming from in my new Jeep.

1 Like

Yes, all the new sounds can be overwhelming.
I sometimes have to ask my wife “what is that noise”? Some of the sounds I remember from many years ago but others are new sounds, especially ones from appliances.
All these new sounds are what kept me going as far as speech goes. For me the speech was garbled and didn’t make since for a while. It took 3-4 months for things to line out speech wise. My hearing is pretty messed up with no hearing in the upper frequencies.

2 Likes

Like it’s been said but can’t be said enough. Give the brain time to adjust. It will. Then you’ll be able to better evaluate whether those are the aids you want. If nothing else you’ll be able to tell the audiologist what you may need to have adjusted

2 Likes