New HA user with loss in only one ear looking for advice

I have been reading this forum for over a month now and finally made a move toward solving my hearing problem:

I have had hearing loss in the right ear for several years now(4) and have not sought hearing aids because I have never known anyone who was happy with them. Turns out I don’t really know anyone using some of the newer models…
Anyway, I have sensory hearing loss, And am currently trialing the Phonak BR70 as well as a Siemens rechargeable demo unit ( not the lithium battery model). I suffer from tinnitus and don’t know how to post my #'s,but the hearing loss in the right ear is approx 60%. The trial Phonak is from and arrived via FedEx as I was typing. I would prefer to buy local if it becomes a reasonable option price wise.
I always prefer to “Buy local”. The Demo Siemens is from a local audioprotologist who recommends a Signia Pure 3 Primax for $1550.00. He did the most comprehensive exam I have ever had. AND btw, yes,I was examined and tested by an ENT then referred to a Surgeon at Vanderbilt to make sure there was no further issue (4 yrs ago). My "Brick and Mortar " knows I had ordered then Phonak online and I even shared the price($1500.00) with him. I intend to also let the online folks know what Im doing. Total transparency is what I intend to proceed with. So, I have a few questions here and am open to any and all comments by those of you with some experience.
How would you think it is best to test these two units while I have them in my possession ? Ex: one hr Phonak with tv/one hr Siemens tv? I day per unit, with telephones, nature, earplug in the left ear??..I am wide open to ideas…It ain’t easy being the new kid? This is a big move for me and I want to do my best to make a well informed decision. It is after all life changing , I hope. Not to mention quite expensive. Also, it seems to me that technology is moving at a very rapid pace these days.
Thank you in advance.

Test the units in the most difficult and complex listening environments. Go to the noisiest restaurant with people that are not clear and difficult to understand. While you are doing that pick up the phone and use it. Put your granddaughter or daughter with the really quiet voice in the back of the car and boom along and break the speed limit and see if you can hear them. Go to a night club that is playing music at 100DB and try to hold a conversation. If you use them in the kitchen just to talk to your spouse it will be a complete waste of time - you will learn nothing. Also - have a dinner party - get 8 to 10 people in and make sure they all talk at once and try to discern the different conversations. Another test - go to an event - where there is a speaker and get right to the back - test their performance over distance. Seek out that person you know you struggle to hear normally, who mumbles like hell, and see if there is an improvement.

Good Luck.

With one hearing aid, the entry level (3 or 5 depending on mfgr) will likely serve you as well as the models you are testing. They will be less expensive. The noise feature relies on two aids. With one aid, the entry and middle level will be closer in results.

First of all it’s going to take you probably a month to get “used” to the sound of each hearing aid and that doesn’t include the adjustments you will more than likely need, so I would not trial each aid at the same time because you will never get “used” to either HA or get them adjusted to your liking in the time you have to trial them. Stick to one HA, trial it and then try the other. Since you only need one HA forget about the HA’s with all the bells and whistles you won’t need or be able to use most of them since you don’t have the other HA. Good luck!