New Firmware Update for ReSound Quattro's

I wonder if the Costco Preza has an available firmware update?

What improvements have you noticed since the update,if any?

Thanks! :+1: Me, too, thanks to your report! I updated Smart Fit to v1.11. On connecting, availability of HA firmware update announced. Update took at least 5 or 6 minutes and I ended up with firmware v1.20.1.0, too, whereas before the Smart 3D app had been perpetually telling me that I had the latest and great Quattro firmware at v1.0.45.

However you get the update be sure you go for it with adequate batteries or with the rechargeables charged up (I was at ~50%) in your HA’s!

Edit_Update: For my iPhone and iOS 14.6, I had to repair my Quattro’s first as MFi HA’s in Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices to regain smartphone control of the HA’s. Then after that, I had to repair the Quattro’s through the Smart 3D app (which I deleted and reinstalled but it didn’t fix my Smart 3D pairing problem until I did the following): I had a doctor’s appointment and rushed out the door for that without taking my charging case. Multiple times I tried to repair with the Smart 3D app just by turning the HA’s off via their buttons, then rebooting when the 3D app prompted by holding down the buttons. Never worked in several attempts (timing problem?!) but the button method had worked fine for repairing as MFi HA’s in iOS settings. When I got home, I rebooted the HA’s using the “remove from charging bays” method to reboot the HA’s and they paired up fine and straightaway with the Smart 3D app.

For Android 8 on my Galaxy Note 8, I didn’t have to do anything. When I turned off BT on the iPhone and turned BT on for the Note 8, the HA’s connected right away with the Smart 3D app. So perhaps whatever has changed with the firmware update matters most with the deep integration of MFi HA’s into iOS, requiring a repairing there (or perhaps my Android version is so old there is nothing to update in how the HA’s and Android phone communication).

Edit_Update02: Found out that I lost pairing to Phone Clip+, Multi Mic, and TV Streamer 2 with HA v.1.20.1.0 firmware update. Had to repair HA’s with each.

I was at v1.0.45 too until today’s visit. It took him a few times to load the update as it kept timing out on one of the hearing aids. I asked him if he ever gets info from Resound on what is in the updates. He said that they typically email him with the changes for major firmware updates like this one. They don’t bother for small updates. The only thing he could recall was that this update included a bunch of improvement for how the hearing aids communicate with each other and how both communicate with your mobile phone. He didn’t provide any more details but he asked me to let him know if I notice any improvements. Curious if any of the professionals on this forum have more details.

Jordan

2 Likes

Hi Jim, I am in a state of shock. Just talked with Resound Cust Serv. and he insisted that you are in Demo mode. Told the guy you are very knowledgeable about HA etc. He has been into this Forum and insisted I am in the latest mode. 1.0.45. He told me if you have any questions to call him. His name is Matt. His number is 800-882-3636.

The way I see it is that they do not want anybody to get in a bit early. Didn’t think to ask him how soon the new update will be available.

Going to call Costco and ask them if the latest update is available, the 1.20.1.0

Anita

The new version is definitely 1.20.1.0. The photo I posted was right from the audiologist’s update screen on his computer. I will say the hearing aids feel much better after the upgrade. Not sure what the heck they did but the new firmware is definitely an improvement.

Jordan

Anita, did the rep mean demo mode because of the version being 1.20.1.0? I’m on that version also, and if you look at this post from May in this thread, you’ll see I came from 1.18.1.0….

Yes, he insisted people on 1.20.1.0 are on Demo mode. Wish I knew there were so many of you on the new one. Don’t think my Costco Audi has it yet. Waiting for a call later to verify.

@anihan. Hi, Anita. I don’t think there is anything to get too excited about. Most or all of us reporting on the availability of firmware v1.20.1.0 are using Quattro HA’s whereas you have the Costco Prezas. So maybe that’s an important difference there, other than Matt very likely not being too up on what’s going on in the ReSound world. Both the Smart 3D app and the ReSound Smart Fit fitting software report that the firmware on my HA’s is v1.20.1.0 and the latest version of Smart Fit (v1.11) announced that the update was available and installed it via the fitting software.

Another possibility is that as far as updates available that firmware v.1.0.45 might be the latest version available via the Smart 3D app but for some reason only the Smart Fit fitting software can update the firmware to v.1.20.1.0. I think that you can rest assured that most of us reporting going to v.1.20.1.0 are reasonably knowledgeable about HA’s and the Smart 3D app and are not in DEMO mode. When one is in DEMO mode in Smart 3D, a very prominent RED label with WHITE lettering of “DEMO” shows up in the lower right of the 3D app. So Matt’s suggestion that we’re in DEMO mode but don’t happen to realize it isn’t very clever, to say the least. If Matt had actually even experimented with his suggestion, he would find that DEMO mode, when you search for HA firmware updates in DEMO mode, announces in the latest iOS version of Smart 3D that one is on v.1.8.11 and can update to v.1.9.1.1. So Matt’s advice is just plain wrong in multiple ways. I don’t feel the need to call him to point that out to him.

1 Like

My Costco fitter called ReSound today and verified that the latest firmware for the Preza aids is 1.20. She said that it primarily is a fix for issues with android phones, and something to do with stabilizing the volume when going to and from streaming. I am wearing Jabra aids now, but whenever I have my next Costco appointment I will take the Prezas in for the update. I checked in the Smart 3D app late last week, but it didn’t show the new firmware being available to install.

1 Like

Thanks Jim. I did see that Red Demo Mode in the More Appl App. Will call Costco again to see if they got it. Mike the Asst, who is learning to be a fitter will help me update. I did it myself the last time with no probs but thought this time I may have trouble.

Someone in this forum mentioned that after the update he noticed a big difference. Maybe he has Android I don’t know. Anyway I was disappointed in Resound‘s tech Matt. Maybe he was new because he started getting a little testy. Other folks I have talked to there are very nice.

Have you noticed any difference? Have a good day, Anita

Hi, Anita

I haven’t noticed much of a difference with the Quattro firmware update on my iPhone 6S. The Smart 3D app might be behaving a little flakier. But a complicating factor is that my HA settings are apparently not the same as the last recorded settings my audi has for me. So when I updated the firmware, the fitting software noticed that there was a difference between the settings stored in the HA’s (the audi’s) and my previous preferred settings. So along with the firmware update, I also updated the settings in the HA to my preferred settings, which the audi has encouraged me to do - and I’ll have to make sure that she gets those settings the next time I visit her. So between the firmware update and switching to my preferred HA settings, it’s hard for me to tell if anything significant has changed just because of the firmware update. I would follow Costco’s advice with your Prezas.

A new iOS update is out, iOS 14.7.1. Apple urges all users to apply it for security reasons. I’ve only had it on my phone for a few hours but besides whatever else it does, for me, on my old iPhone 6S, it seems to make the Smart 3D app more responsive, especially in connecting up with my ReSound Quattros.

Over several years both with Android and iOS what with HA firmware updates, ReSound Smart 3D updates, and phone OS updates, it’s been a bit up and down at times with how well the HA’s connect to the Smart 3D app, especially on initially launching the Smart 3D app. With going to the Quattro v1.20.1 firmware and iOS 14.7, things got especially bad, relatively. I was actually beginning to wonder if firmware v1.20.1 was intended for use in the U.S. since that firmware never came to me via the Smart 3D app, only through Smart Fit.

The one possible downside to iOS 14.7.1 vs. earlier iOS versions is that on a 50-min early morning walk Bluetooth streaming seemed a little less rock solid than it usually is for me. In the Smart 3D app at the bottom under the More tab, there is the option “Optimize MFi connection” and I don’t have that on (and almost always don’t). Having that option on in my experience makes the Smart 3D app’s connectivity with the HA’s less responsive in my experience. Maybe I should try that option again if BT warbling from time to time persists. So perhaps there is a tradeoff going on between the HA’s being involved in streaming and “talking” to the Smart 3D app and for me, at least, I have the possibly premature perception that the iOS 14.7.1 update has shifted the balance back a little more towards talking to the 3D app, perhaps to the slight detriment of streaming focus.

2 Likes

Streaming on Android (Galaxy S10E) has been very up and down. At least 3 or 4 times a day, I lose the connection in one or both ears despite resetting the apps, clearing the cache, etc. Is the experience on iPhone any better?

What I was writing about wasn’t the function of my HA’s themselves. They’re almost always still working great and still streaming fine. But for what I was describing with iOS 14.7 and the latest firmware and 3D app is either the app was flaky showing that it’s connected to the HA’s, slow in finding the HA’s, or having found one HA, it doesn’t show it found the other, etc. So that’s what I find awesomely improved with the latest iOS 14.7.1.

Sometimes when outdoors walking I find I get a little warble in BT streaming going by a particular house, etc. So at times I’ve wondered whether that sort of things is EMI noise from someone’s overwhelming home electronics, e.g., (jokingly), the most powerful router in the world, etc. But it doesn’t always happen at any particular location on my walking route.

Glad to hear your streaming experience has been smooth on iPhone. I may end up switching to iPhone later in the year.

You might want to wait to see if the iPhone 2021 is going to have BT LE Audio capabilities. I don’t think I’ll upgrade either my Android phone or my iPhone until BT LE Audio comes out in smartphones. (I haven’t totally switched over to an iPhone because I like to write in script on my smartphone as a notepad and Apple doesn’t offer pen input to iPhone. Perhaps if Apple ever offers a pen option for its phones that works as well as the Apple Pencil or the S Pen I will go completely iPhone but not for now. GBoard works really well with my Galaxy Note 8 and S Pen).

@jim_lewis “Optimise for MFI connection” is really only helpful if you use more than one phone/tablet with the Quattros. What it does is disconnect the phone from the Quattros when there isn’t a reason to stay connected so they are free to connect to another device if you start Smart 3D on that.

If you use just one phone, then there are two disadvantages to using the MFI setting. Firstly the phone/app has to connect before you can do anything. This takes only a few seconds, but it is a few seconds, not instantly as it would be if the Quattros are connected normally. And secondly the hearing aid location won’t work because the phone can no longer say for sure when/where it lost contact with a hearing aid.

This second issue may not be a problem (eg I would immediately know if one of aids were to drop off my ear) but I’ve tried it and the extra delay on connecting is mighty annoying.

Hi, David. Even within the Smart 3D app, the first point listed for “Optimize MFi” is to improve the connection to optimize streaming stability - faciltating the switch between multiple iOS devices is listed as the second purpose. It’s hard to find an original ReSound description of “Optimize MFi” on the Resound Pro website but here’s quoted ReSound PR material from 2018 on the Hearing Tracker site on what “Optimize MFi” is all about. ReSound Smart 3D app "Optimize MFi"

Since both streaming audio and hearing aid control are through BT, it’s just my own experience when Optimize Mfi is in effect, the phone/HA pairing for streaming is getting more focus and the BT streaming related to app control is less responsive than with Optimize MFi OFF. The fact that ReSound has made the default setting for Optimize Mfi as “Off” perhaps is ReSound’s vote itself as to whether without audio streaming problems is Optimize MFi best left ON or OFF. My perceived problem is in the Smart 3D app’s responsiveness. Perhaps the ON setting for Optimize MFi also chews more phone/HA battery??? To my mind, that fact that Find My Hearing Aids no longer works is also an indication that more attention is being devoted to maintaining the audio streaming BT connection and less attention to anything else.

Well I don’t agree that this is the case at all:

It’s simply a reflection of the simple fact that if the app isn’t connected permanently to the aids, then it can’t be relied upon to say when connection with one of them is lost. This is electronics we are talking about, not some old person only able to think about one thing at a time! (I speak as an old person incidentally.)

Anyway give it a try but my own experience over a period of two years is that it’s best left off.

Best

David