New charger for Oticon More

That is not what I was told by my.Audiologist and the clinic hearing aid technician. The technician has been trained to take care of most hearing aid issues. The lab at the clinic is.full of equipment for testing and drying hearing aids. The last time I was there they were setting up the 3d impression equipment.

I don’t doubt this at all.

Thanks, Chuck, I understand my audi is no longer with the Long Beach clinic, so when I go for my follow-up on the 29th, I’ll inquire again.

1 Like

I was told by my audiologist that it will sell for $250.

1 Like

When I received my Oticon More aids I just used the old Oticon disc charger to charge them as demonstrated in the video.

So I can see no problem in using the new SmartCharger to charge my old Oticon OPN S R aids.

The batteries are different…but both are Li Ion of the same 3.7(?) voltage.

Anybody want to chime in on backwards compatibility for the OPN S R aids with the new SmartCharger?

If you check Oticon’s info sheet, the only aids compatible w/ the new SmartCharger are the More’s at Firmware 1.1.1

Per @Luga’s post in this thread

The Release Text for FW 1.1.1 says:

New “MyMusic” Program
Support for SmartCharger for Oticon More miniRITE R
Support for CROS and CROS PX
General Updates and improvements

Sounds like the new charger needs the firmware upgrade.

1 Like

Hi @flashb1024, thanks for your reply.

It would seem like the hearing aid software might actually control the charging voltage/current rate of the charger itself?

Inevitably someone will put an OPN S R into the SmartCharger. Physically, the charger and the aid are a match. I wonder what the Oticon safeguard to prevent damage to the aid or battery resulting from such an event is?

Back in the days of OPNs, I was one of the first test-dummys to inadvertently put my Oticon OPNs in the disc charger back to front which rendered the batteries inoperative (reversed polarity charging current). That was an expensive exercise in having to get new batteries.

Oticon’s fix for back to front charging error was to stick a label diagram showing correct hearing aid orientation on the charger.

The problem with engineering something to be foolproof is that nature is always going to produce a better fool…

3 Likes

See photo of Oticon More and OPN S Batteries…the same size but different characteristics.

1 Like

Could you please clarify what characteristics are different?

By size I meant that the width and height appear to be the same.

But I meant to say that some of the physical characteristics are different, such as you can see on the top smaller concentric circle of negative (-) surface of the OPN S Battery.

And (not shown) the More Battery also has a very large cross (almost like a pillow) on the positive (+) side.

There is a video of how to change the More Battery on the Oticon Genie Fitting Software battery page that shows a bit more detail. See the location page on @Volusiano post here: Oticon # 222 Li-Ion Battery for OPN S

I would hazard a guess that with the More Battery, Oticon has opted for a cheaper and/or better battery from Power One as opposed to the Varta Z22 Battery of the OPN S.

You could be right here, but when Oticon used the ZPower charger using Power one batteries it had a terrible reputation, probably put a lot of people off rechargeable technology for life!

Just to clarify, when Oticon OEM’ed the ZPower system for the OPN line, this ZPower system didn’t use a rechargeable Power One battery. The ZPower system uses their own ZPower-brand Silver Zinc rechargeable battery.

The ZPower system was not Lithium-ion based, it was rechargeable Silver Zinc based, and it can also support the non-rechargeable/disposable Zinc Air usage in place of the ZPower Silver Ainc, although naturally you can’t and are not supposed to charge the Zinc Air in the ZPower charger.

And Tenkan is right, the ZPower system was horrible at being able to hold charge anymore after a few months of service, despite the advertised 1 year service life span. Oticon abandoned the ZPower system and switched to their own Lithium-ion system in the OPN S line going forward to the Morenow. ZPower has since gone bankrupt.

2 Likes

Hi where i can find or buy the smartcharger? Thanks

It seems that it is not yet available for individual purchase, but is orderable with new Oticon More aids.

1 Like

@jay_man2: Jay, I got my Mores in March. Could I get a charger - I mean, would I be eligible?

I have no idea when, @SpudGunner. I just responded with what I read in this thread, and it appears it will be released as a separately order able item for US $250.

This is the part I’m responding to. I won’t be ordering new aids now until 2025.

Who knows what tech will be available 4 years from now.

I will have to.see if my VA audiologist has any luck in getting a smart charger for me.
I know that part of the VA contract is that spare parts and backup parts have to be available

I’m saying that I won’t be eligible to order anything that must be purchased at the same time as aids until 2025. I’m obviously not going to wait that long for a charger for my current aids.

Seems strange to me that the sale of a charger would be constrained that way.