New charger for Oticon More

@Volusiano: I’m still not sure of the etiology of that failure:

1. The batteries I originally had didn’t hold a charge nearly as well as my current replacements;
  2. Only one battery showed zero charge: the other had 2% left. Even that battery failed in the same way as the first within a day or two;
  3. The HA that said it was completely discharged fired up into a normal charge cycle as soon as I connected the charger to a power source (just like the 2% unit, and - even though that one never hit zero - it failed, too).

So, I wouldn’t want to frighten people by leading them to believe that one mistake will fry Oticon batteries.

2 Likes

The buffer that EV manufacturers build is a few lines in the manual to keep the charge between 90% and 20%, and only when necessary charge to 100%.

Just stumbled across this thread . . . fwiw, Olson just published a youtube review of this charger wherein (at 5:00) he cites its dehydrator capability as an important feature since, in his opinion, moisture is a chief cause for HA’s repairs. Apparently, even in hot and dry climes (like AZ), some people sweat a lot.

Since I already have the (common) Zephyr brick dehydrator I used with my previous battery HA’s, my (since fired) Audi recommended I periodically use it with my new rechargeables. That was bad advice, as the manufacturer’s website indicates that the Zephyr and similar models produce too much heat, possibly damaging the recharageable battery. This manufacturer instead recommends its DryBoost UV dehydrator (in which you place your standard charger, the cycles run in parallel).

But Oticon on its Smart Charger web page suggests the PerfectDry LUX system as a safe alternative, which is only ~$60 and only uses a 30 minute cycle. So if one doesn’t need the extra power-bank on this charger but wants dehydration, this appears to be a good alternative.

2 Likes

I stopped by a local audiologist last week as I needed a charger for my new More 1 (scored on eBay without a charger), and to my surprise they had the new SmartChargers in stock. Bought one for $300, and skipped on standard charger. Not sure why anyone would want the standard one at this point.

A few SmartChargers observations:

• It looks sleek and has a smaller and wider footprint. It’s stable and easy to plug and unplug thanks to USB-C interface (no more finding the right orientation).
  • Great to have built in drying
  • LEDs are smartly in the back, and don’t light up continuously, so no annoying lights by your bedside.
  • Size is ever so slightly smaller than my KS10 charger, and much smaller than the KS10 charger with the battery pack option. Looks also much sleeker.
  • Definitely worth it, for travel, but also power outages. Last month, after an overnight power outage, I was without hearing aids. Not only did my hearing aids not charge overnight, they drained as the outage turned them on.
2 Likes

My smart charger stop functioning after 10 days usage. It is better to keep the standard charger as a standby just in case the smart charger goes death.

Used dry desiccant (food grade) for drying process or raw rice as an drying agent. Wrap 2 teaspoon of raw rice with a layer of cloth. Put the HA on top of the cloth overnight. Used for 4-5 times, then throw away the raw rice. Proven to be a good drying agent.

1 Like

@dankailo: I have suggested this on the Forum before, and the idea has been dismissed. I’m glad to see you post this from a very humid place, because your experience with rice’s effectiveness matches mine. Thank you.

1 Like

I saw a research report mentioning that Raw rice is just as good as a desiccant. Only thing is that when the desiccant expired, we are not able to see the difference. There is some desiccant with color pigment. When expired with moisture it will turn its color. There are a lot of food desiccants on the China website. Not sure whether eBay website has it or not. In hot and humid Asia , the Chinese herbal shop usually has a layer of raw rice in a glass bottle/tank to keep the highly prized abalone or bird nest.

1 Like

I ordered one on the “my second ear” website but it never shipped and I had to request a refund.

I am a hearing disabled veteran and the VA provided my smart charger as soon as it became available.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic!! And thank you for your service!

3 Likes

What about an efficient hearing aids drier.?
That’s amazing.de, but probably in stock on other sites

This is a good idea. We can buy the small packet of desiccant and keep it in the space during night charging. Not sure if the smart charger is air-tight or not when closed. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

@cvkemp: Chuck, my new audiologist petitioned :canada: Veterans’ Affairs Canada :canada:, and I received a brand new SmartCharger in less than 2 weeks!

Thank you, :canada: VAC :canada:, for looking after my service-related disability as best you can!

3 Likes

Fantastic that is so great.

2 Likes

@cvkemp: Chuck, I could never afford to put into my ears what :canada: VAC :canada: does for me, and I am deeply grateful. My new audiologist seems to be a keeper, too.

3 Likes

Fantastic and I never would be able to afford my aids or the extra devices. Much less the test and attention my audiologist has given me.

1 Like

@cvkemp: It was my pride and my privilege to wear my country’s uniform and to serve under its flag. I knew the potential downside when I pledged my fealty to Her Majesty. I’m grateful that they have allowed me to deal with my service disabilities with dignity. I mean those words, @cvkemp , Chuck.

2 Likes

I fully understand, and would have done it again if needed. I was just too old for them after 9/11. My first wife died in a vehicle accident May 2002, and I just wanted to get lost and get away. I did try to volunteer to go back in. I knew I was too old for overseas but I want to help with the state side support. I would have done it as a civilian contractor even. I was too close to retirement, and had blood pressure issues and hearing loss.

1 Like

@cvkemp: Never mind, Chuck. I’m sorry for your grievous loss, but you were willing to put what you had left on the line to serve. I respect that, and I salute you for your service.

1 Like