New audiogram

I just had an Audiogram & REM tests done. I manually entered the audiogram in Target and it improved my hearing with my HAs. Question: How, after entering the audiogram into Target, do I change the date of the Audiogram. Target now shows two Audiograms with the same date as the old Audiogram. My next mission is to enter the REM. I’ve never had a REM test, so any advice regarding entering it manually into Target will be greatly appreciated.

You cannot enter REM/Real Ear Measurement.

Professionally fit hearing aids use your paper audiogram (or a digital version) to enter your hearing loss into the fitting software, and then use an additional measuring system to achieve REM/Real Ear Measurement. These settings are stored in the hearing aids.

If your hearing aids have already been professionally programmed using REM then you will want to save the important original professional settings to the database before you make any changes to your hearing aid settings.

Source: DIY School PDF file (02 How to Program Your Hearing Aids)

1 Like

I run Target myself and do the adjustments myself.

But you didn’t do REM. That costs MEGAbucks! Maybe a simpler way to say it;

Without REM:

• Your audiogram is used as a basis to prescribe the settings for you hearing loss.
  • Those settings (the amount of gain applied to each frequency) are stored in your hearing aids. So save the settings, first thing before you make any changes.

With REM:

• Your audiogram is used as a basis to prescribe the settings for you hearing loss.
  • REM uses an expensive machine to further measure/refine the settings.
  • Those settings (the amount of gain applied to each frequency) are stored in your hearing aids. So save the settings, first thing before you make any changes.

I had an audiologist do both the tests and gave me a paper copy them. The AU did nothing to my HAs.

REM is done while wearing your hearing aids.

When the AU performed the REM test, he connected me to his equipment and had me take out my HAs and ran the REM test. Then he had me put my HAs in and ran the REM test again. Printed me a copy. The AU that performed the test does not have Target or adjust Phonak HAs. My assumption was because of that, he did nothing to my HAs. All I have to do is enter the test information for my HAs when I am connected to Target.

Something doesn’t make sense. Did you sit in front of a REM machine with a small probe in your ears (in addition to your hearing aids in your ears) and listen to jibber/jabber for a short while and the machine that you sat in front of looks like this?

Yes I did listen to female jaba jaba while remaining quiet and still.

Also, it was that very machine that I sit in front of and he printed the results for me.

Here’s what doesn’t make sense. If your Audi didn’t make any changes to your hearing aids then why run REM at all? REM makes adjustments to your hearing aid settings/(gain settings) based and the jibber/jabber measurement from the ear probes in your ear. It doesn’t make sense to discard the new measurements after the REM test? The REM adjustments to your gain settings should be saved to your hearing aids and to the latest client database session.

Oh, and the settings are your source for the REM adjustments. You can’t enter the REM adjustments. They are just part of the gain settings.

But, maybe some bad news?

• If your Audi did somehow save your settings/(gain settings) to your hearing aids
  • And then you went home and started new session based on entering the paper audiogram
  • And you save the paper audiogram settings to your hearing aids

Then you have overwritten the REM adjustments.

But, not all is lost. Your Audi would still have the settings stored as your last session on your Audi’s database.

He isn’t the Audi for my P90 HAs. I don’t have an Audi for my Phonaks. He is an Audi and also a friend of mine. Since he has all the equipment and skill, as a favor to me, I ask him to check my hearing. He did and printed out the results for me. As I mentioned, he doesn’t fit Phonak HAs. I DIY for my P90’s. I connected my HAs to my Target software and manual entered the audiogram test results with no trouble. All I want to do is manual enter the REM data into my system. Maybe I don’t understand this part of fitting software. It seems that opening a session in my Target and manually entering the results of a REM test would not be as complex as string theory or the concept of a parallel universe. Maybe it is and I just don’t understand why it cannot be done. It would not be the first time I didn’t understand something.

Okay, maybe here’s a way; Here’s a dummy client, Joe Blow with a freshly made up audiogram. I made it up by just clicking some random measurements on Joe Blow’s audiogram.

Now if you go into a fitting session using the audiogram as your basis/starting point you will end up with gain settings like this below displayed as 10 gain handles and the settings below circled in red;

After this if you perform REM/Real Ear Measurements then the settings will change. I know of no method to enter REM adjustments. That is done by the expensive REM machine and the software that comes with it. Maybe set your gain handles to 20 for precision and take a screen print after REM adjustments and then enter your gain settings one-at-a-time???

PVC, thank you for your help. I think I figured out how to REM data. I will be away for several days and will have to wait to later to try it and see if there is any improvement.