Need some advice for our hard or hearing grandad

The advice I need relates not to my wifes grandfather. He has severe hearing loss from a life in the ship building industry, and is pretty stubborn at 91 years young. In the past he’s been through a lot of private consultation for hearing aids and the results were very expensive and very unsatisfactory. He is now turned off competely and won’t entertain any more consultations or tests or medical intervention. This is despite trying hard to explain to him that technology and the NHS have moved forward leaps and bounds in recent years. He just doesn’t want to know - its frustrating but I can see where he is coming from.

He uses headphones with his TV and says that he can hear pretty well usng them. That spurred him onto asking me to get him a micrphone, amplifier and earphones to make a makeshift bodyworn hearing aid. Ive been looking around all over and the best Ive found so far is the “PICCOLO personal amplifier” from spec savers. However I can’t find any details anywhere of what it is and isn’t suitable for.

We are getting into a bit of a box with this, and realised that we needed advice. Could anyone suggest a body worn hearing aid that is suitable for severe hearing loss that I can get hold off without going through a consultation?

Tim

Even with a bodyworn amplifier
yuo still need to have @ least a tone control and a
output limiter… Someone has to set those controls…
But those are such an old instruments that are only sold
@ very poor countries…

I believe RION still sell those. I have seen some in china a while ago…
I think williamson or something also sell something like that…

FIX PS3

Saw the Rion hearing aid ha-72p and this looks just the thing - problem is how to get hold of one in the UK? Any ideas - there just doesn’t seem to be any distributors outside of eastern europe

Try ebay maybe…

When I started dispensing aids, they were still spome pocket aids…
But even then it was consider an obsolete solution…

I had been told pocket aids are popular in japan (wired?)

Xxxtubes